SQ - non factor in MP3s? (IE8 related)
Dec 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ceekay84

100+ Head-Fier
So I have the Zune HD for my casual listening needs and the Clip+ for workout. I pair them up with my ie8s. I know there are better DAPs out there like the Sony 638/639 and Cowon S9 in terms of SQ but is it really a factor if I listen to songs which are mostly 192k-256kbit range? With the Zune subscription costing me $14.99 a month, I'm beginning to realize the cost of owning a Zune. It's a great looking player but if I have in my hands one of the better IEMs, shouldn't it deserve a good source to play from? The SQ between the Clip+ and Zune, at least for me, is negligible. Am I missing out by not going with other players known for their SQ? I listen to all types of music if that helps and I listen to my songs without an amp.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 13
i'm in the same predicament. i'm really contemplating buying a sony x. i have a clip+ and i'm running out of space. 8gb is pretty little eh? hehe

so since it's christmas, and i really want a decent electric guitar out of my xmas bonus, i'm really torn up between buying the sony x or just getting a 16gb sdhc card for my clip+. of course if i get the sony x, the guitar selection narrows down a lot.
frown.gif

so is the sony x really worth it from the clip+, just SQ wise?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so is the sony x really worth it from the clip+, just SQ wise?

Good question.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I personally find that Sandisk DAP's offer good neutral sound with great soundstage and good file format support (FLAC, etc), and good expandability options (SD cards) at a very good price, but with less stable firmware and shoddy EQ/GUI. Sony players meanwhile offer more of a dynamic/fun sound in general, more flexible settings options (superior EQ, etc) but with narrower soundstage, lesser support for file types, and being significantly more expensive. So it all depends on what you are looking for.

But SQ wise, no, I don't think it's worth it for that alone.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Well ya,even if you have 196-256kb the sound will differ from dap to dap.I gave some 192 and 256 songs and the difference for me is huge between my zune and itouch 2g,the touch is far superior(better Chanel speration,better soundstage,very controlled bass unlike that of the zune,clearer treble .....).is it worth it for me?hell ya.does it differ if you have low bitrate songs?yes it sounds better with better dap.will your ie8 sound better out if the touch than the zune?way better at least for me.hope that's help
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 13
ur zune and my zune hd has the same sound chip?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Hmmz interesting
smily_headphones1.gif
haven't heard too many people liking their Apple products as sources that much.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 13
I have the older Zune 30GB and Sansa Fuze. Both sound very good, but to me the Zune has a tad fuller sound. The increase you get in SQ may be negligible to your ears.

Personally, I would put money into a 16gb SDHC card for your Clip -- $30 at several web-stores. In most media programs like WMP, you sync stuff to the internal memory and to external memory separately, but the playback is instantaneous, no interruptions -- 24 gb gives you a good bit of space even for FLAC or other lossless formats.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Actually,I couldn't diffrentiate between my dad's sansa fuze andy zune,they are identical in everything maybe the fuze have a tad bigger soundstage but not even noticable,the iPod touch is far better than the two.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 13
thanks for the input you guys..

i do love my clip+!!! i dont wanna part with it. hehe

btw, just a n00b question and im too lazy to find out. how do you transfer files to the SDHC card on a clip+? do u need like a memory card reader for it or can u just transfer files to it when its inside the clip and the clip is plugged in via usb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back