SQ isn't everything
Jun 8, 2007 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sitting here listening to Sage Francis "Personal Journals" and I can tell you that the SQ kinda sucks. It sounds like it was recorded in someone's garage. That doesn't stop it from being an amazing album. It's poorly recored but it's not "hot" mastered, so that's a plus. Regardless I can't help but get into it. The SQ doesn't matter at all.

Are they're any poorly recorded albums that you enjoy just because the music itself is so good?

Side note: The Rest of Sage Francis' albums have great SQ.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 19
There's a big difference between albums that were recorded using sub par equipment and dont sound traditionally good because of time period or lack of funds, and albums that were engineered/mastered poorly/incompetently. The former in most cases have the potential to create atmosphere and character thats pleasing to the ear while the latter often times become hard to listen to, tedious, or just plain unpleasant or unlistenable altogether in certain systems.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Bee Thousand - Guided By Voices

The terrible sound quality is an integral part of the music!

Mezmerize/Hypnotize - System of a Down

I would love these albums so much more than I already do if they didn't clip like crazy through most of the songs
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting here listening to Sage Francis "Personal Journals" and I can tell you that the SQ kinda sucks. It sounds like it was recorded in someone's garage. That doesn't stop it from being an amazing album. It's poorly recored but it's not "hot" mastered, so that's a plus. Regardless I can't help but get into it. The SQ doesn't matter at all.

Are they're any poorly recorded albums that you enjoy just because the music itself is so good?

Side note: The Rest of Sage Francis' albums have great SQ.

But then again you have to wonder if you would have enjoyed the music that little bit more if the recording was better. I would certainly wonder.

I love Elliott Smith, and his recordings (especially the early ones) really suck SQ-wise, but the music is simply genius. I believe however, without a doubt, that it would be more enjoyable if the SQ was better.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cage85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then again you have to wonder if you would have enjoyed the music that little bit more if the recording was better. I would certainly wonder.

I love Elliott Smith, and his recordings (especially the early ones) really suck SQ-wise, but the music is simply genius. I believe however, without a doubt, that it would be more enjoyable if the SQ was better.

That's a great point. Although sometimes the poor recording can be part of what actually makes the music so great. A friend of mine has a band and they recorded an album. The recording quality was poor and the music was great. About two months later they recorded it in much better quality. Still great music but it had lost much of it's charm. It didn't sound like my friends garage band anymore. It was polished.

That's not the case with this Album though. If it were better recorded without a doubt I'd enjoy it more, but regardless I love it as is.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 19
I think A Healthy Distrust has poor SQ, but compared to other hip hop albums, it is pretty good.

I haven't given his new album a good listen yet, so hopefully it is even better.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Sure, Dark Suns' first album Swanlike is terribly recorded, but the music is great (for fans of the genre). Iced Earth is WAY to sibilant, but I still like the music.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't think it's about the SQ per se but more about the way the musician is feeling at the time. I prefered the earlier Elliot Smith because he obviously would be more comfortable recording them in his own room, perhaps with a few beers inside him than in an expensive studio, sober, aware that every second costs money. Accompanied by strangers, which for shy people would surely make them self conscious.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Alot of Indie sound has done the whole scratchy sound for alot of their recording...it doesn't fancy me at all.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Arcade Fire albums are mastered pretty poorly, I think... But they are awesome.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless as well... but I heard that was intentional.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 19
I made almost this exact same thread several months back, regarding the exact same album. I love Sage, and Personal Journals is without a doubt my favorite album. But, I found, i enjoyed it more on lesser equipment where I was less likely to hear the flaws. Still, regardless of how it sounds, it is a fantastic album that will always remain one of my favorites.

Oh, and if you like Sage, you owe it to yourself to check out Buddy Wakefield. He is on Sage's label, and is amazingly talanted. He made a few appearances on Human, The Death Dance, and Sage has a few parts on Buddy's latest album Run on Anything. Buddy I would actually have to say is a better writer than Sage, and is a phenominal poet. I also perfer his style of music to Sage's.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made almost this exact same thread several months back, regarding the exact same album. I love Sage, and Personal Journals is without a doubt my favorite album. But, I found, i enjoyed it more on lesser equipment where I was less likely to hear the flaws. Still, regardless of how it sounds, it is a fantastic album that will always remain one of my favorites.

Oh, and if you like Sage, you owe it to yourself to check out Buddy Wakefield. He is on Sage's label, and is amazingly talanted. He made a few appearances on Human, The Death Dance, and Sage has a few parts on Buddy's latest album Run on Anything. Buddy I would actually have to say is a better writer than Sage, and is a phenominal poet. I also perfer his style of music to Sage's.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to include him in my purchases this month.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to include him in my purchases this month.

Be sure to let me know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif
. And, make sure you get Run On Anything. His other stuff is good, but ROA is his first album on Strange Famous, and Sage's influence does show a bit on it.... and it is without a doubt his best.

Also, if you can, Sage and Buddy are touring together right now. You should try and check it out if they are coming to your area.

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be sure to let me know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif
. And, make sure you get Run On Anything. His other stuff is good, but ROA is his first album on Strange Famous, and Sage's influence does show a bit on it.... and it is without a doubt his best.

Also, if you can, Sage and Buddy are touring together right now. You should try and check it out if they are coming to your area.

I'm ordering it now from Strange Famous. I checked out the tracks on Buddy Wakefield's MySpace. Convenience Stores was all in needed to hear, even before the track was half way over I already was on the confirmation page for my order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back