SQ iPod touch 3rd gen or Walkman X-1060
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like a link to where people have said the SQ of the 3G touch is the same as the iphone 3gs.

People were saying this about their new 160 classics but not about the 3g touch from what I've seen. Most were saying the 2g touch was better than the 3g touch. This is the first place Ive seen people say they prefer the 3g.

The idea that there's batches is a bit worrying. Please to links to where people are suggesting that.

Sparky, if you read the 3 or 4 threads in this forum that deal with SQ on the current iPods/iPhone, you will find the claims I refer to - you'd have to ask j2kei why he is convinced that there is a 'bad batch' as opposed to the odd faulty unit. In a manufacturing run as large as the iPod, I have no doubt that duds slip through the Net - thats what the warranty is for - but an entire batch (presumably several hundred thousand units) is scary stuff.

The 3G Touch was given the internal hardware from the 3GS iPhone in September - the Classic, officially, only had a hard drive upgrade. All 3 contain the Cirrus Logic DAC, but we've also debated the extent to which this has been massaged by Apple to give different results in the Classic as opposed to the other two. I rely on the Wikipedia article on the iPod for a lot of my information - like anything on the Net, it may contain inaccuracies, but I see it as more reliable than many of the wilder posts on various forums:

iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Updated to include the upgraded internals from the iPhone 3GS; includes Voice Control support and bundled remote earphones.

The reality is that Apple dont release a great deal re suppliers in their tech specs, and the 'teardown' photos from one generation to another show that they brand most of their chips 'Apple' now - early chips were clearly marked 'Samsung' etc, but there you go.

I'm listening to my Classic as I type this, and it sounds just fine to me, but you will find iPhone/3G Touch owners who dislike the SQ on the current Classic immensely - from my own brief auditions of the Touch/iPhone, I recall a little more clarity, at the expense of a colder sound than the Classic : much the same argument is used by owners of older iPods with the Wolfson DAC. Others will tell you that its placebo, but there is only one pair of ears that can make that call.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 24
first off, the people with the bad batch should be able to clearly tell they got one, jsut from easy listening. my 1st itouch 3g was an early batch, and was absolutely terrible. listening off my re0, my ears would start hurting and aching. the sound was congested, absolutely no dynamics, bass was bloated, highs were extremely rolled off, and mids were muffled. i felt like i was listening to my ipod video (my ipod video is the 1st gen of the ipod videos). honestly, the ipod video might have sounded better. since there are a couple of reports on here about the latest gen of ipods/itouches sounding really bad, with the small population of people that actually know what sounds quality vs "more bass is better" it is possible to believe that a bad batch has been released into the public without much awareness.

i had an extremely hard time believing that a "bad batch" existed until i heard my gf's itouch 3g. there was finally that transparency that the 2g had but with a much fuller sound. unfortunately she had a bad itouch3g because her max volume is probably only half as loud as what it should be. i would have to put it at max volume just for normal listening volume.

now im happily enjoying my itouch 3rd gen. something interesting is that my itouch 3rd gen actually works really well with my hd580. normal listening volume would only be 2-3 clicks above listening with my re0, and it just seems that the hd580 and itouch 3rd gen are a good pair. yes i know it is hard to believe especially since an itouch is not even powerful, but ive been listening to my hd580 off my itouch3g this week and its way better than listening out of my macbook pro's headphone out. (i sold my compass)

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 24
This is interesting indeed and I am glad it seems so easy to hear that the audio is flawed in the bad units. That must surely mean my iPhone is fine. Do you find the mids a bit veiled in some recordings? I don't really understand this since it varies so much. I am thinking it might have to do with where the focus lies in the vocals. I mean that it might be more obvious if the vocals are on the full side if you know what I mean?! It could also be that the iPhone is really revealing and hence, with it's full, rich midrange, needs to be coupled up with really good headphones that can handle that kind of resolution without sounding canny or veiled. I have experienced that with lesser speakers coupled with high-end electronics.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 24
This bad batch approach sounds interesting but without hard data (rm
aa tests) I do not think that there is enough basis to support the idea yet.anyway I'm glad that I got a 09 classic instead of the touch.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sparky, if you read the 3 or 4 threads in this forum that deal with SQ on the current iPods/iPhone, you will find the claims I refer to - you'd have to ask j2kei why he is convinced that there is a 'bad batch' as opposed to the odd faulty unit. ...

I just haven't found any. I must be looking at the wrong threads.

A sample of one, j2kei isn't a bad batch. IMO.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like a link to where people have said the SQ of the 3G touch is the same as the iphone 3gs.

People were saying this about their new 160 classics but not about the 3g touch from what I've seen. Most were saying the 2g touch was better than the 3g touch. This is the first place Ive seen people say they prefer the 3g.

The idea that there's batches is a bit worrying. Please to links to where people are suggesting that.

I think made a mistake getting an Ipod Touch 3g. My whole life I been accustomed to here the sound of Sony's DAP and lately Meizu M6 and I can tell I took a bad decision on getting the ITouch 3g, the sound is a kind of $hit! OMG!!!

I have compared to the Iphone 2g and the Ipod nano 3g, and I can tell the SQ in the low end is so muddy and in the high end it kill all the life of the highs Frecuencies.

normally the best sounding preset are Latin and Rock, and in this Ipod 3g is so cumbersome accustom to it.

I have tested it with an Creative ep-630 and my Koss KTXPro(RadioShack Titanium Pro35) and the best sound I can get is with the Koss.

One only good Things I can notice in the Ipod Touch 3g 32Gb has 0% Distortion and is hiss free, you only have the sound of the music.

I think the problem here is that apple change the old Wolfson Code to the new Cirrus Logic and didn't think about it could change the SQ in some maner.

I will do a better analisis using the DFFS3
and will try to show what is the truth behind the sound of the Ipod Touch 3g.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 24
by analysing the touch (unless yours is bad), you will only show that it is a hardware performing beast. PC world have done it, I have done - many people have. In hardware tests, there isn't another commercially produced DAP that outdoes it (unless yours is bad).

Personal tastes will let you hate or love it. I am in semi-love. I wish there was a real EQ and that sound was more atmospheric (read distorted), but it isn't. The new chip is simply a rock solid performer with no bass roll off, huge channel separation, low distortion, etc.. The problem is that players which are more atmospheric like the X5, the AMP3 have bass roll off as well as distortion.

I think there is no perfect player as I have tried all the big, exciting new ones. Not a single one does everything well enough to satiate every music genre. I will admit that for vocal, jazz, etc., the iPod touch is bettered by a few daps. Move on to technical musics and that distance is reversed, the iPod touch taking the crown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back