SQ Hornet Vs. BitHead/AirHhead
May 24, 2006 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone comment on the difference between the sound of the 2006 BH/AH and the Hornet? SQ differences? Imaging, bass, etc? I want a portable amp to complement my new transportable micro. Curious as to what the major differences in sq and presentaion are. Mainly going to be used with IEM. I am using the TBAAM with the hornet, or BH included DAC for portable cpu music. MicroDAC (soon to come) for serious listening.

May 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Looks like you're collecting portable amps
tongue.gif

May 24, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Looks like you're collecting portable amps
tongue.gif

Not only do I like shiny new thingsl, but I am also trying to improve my ears and understand the differences that different equiptment can make. I want to gain some audio wisdom. That said- I like shiny new things
eggosmile.gif

May 24, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Not only do I like shiny new things

Then it's easy....Hornet is a lot shinier than the Bitheads
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the Hornet, but the general consensus is that it's a punchy forward sounding amp.....it will give the bass and treble a deliberate slight kick.

May 24, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 10
If you are going for different I'd say the Hornet is the way to go. In my experience the Micro and SM amps have more in common (SQ) than they do apart and the Hornet sounds very different from them both... and yes I have owned all three
biggrin.gif
As far as the AH/BH the Micro is going to be better with a similar signature so I would say it would be a waste to have both unless you are buying it more for the DAC.

May 24, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
If you are going for different I'd say the Hornet is the way to go. In my experience the Micro and SM amps have more in common (SQ) than they do apart and the Hornet sounds very different from them both... and yes I have owned all three
biggrin.gif
As far as the AH/BH the Micro is going to be better with a similar signature so I would say it would be a waste to have both unless you are buying it more for the DAC.

That argument alone seems to make enough sense to get me to buy an RSA Hornet. How is the RSA customer support and repairs, etc. handled? I put a lot of emphasis on customer support and service when buying expensive items. I really like the way Headroom handeled everything, curious if I can expect something similar from Ray.

May 24, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Ray is top notch! Never to busy to answer questions, address concerns, or anything else that you need. His products are built very well and he stands by that.

Just remember that the Hornet needs 300-350 hours of burn-in for you to hear it's true sound. It sounds good out of the box but after burn-in the highs mellow out, the bass tightens, and it further develops that weight and texture you will read other owners comment on. I think he's even got the colored chassis in so you might run out of reasons not to
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 10
Wakeride: looking at your musical tastes--some of which parallel mine--Krall's piano and voice will probably really shine on the Hornet; ditto small piano pieces, esp. Mozart/Lizst/Chopin-type. Don't know abouthuge symphonic or opera if that's your taste too.

I'm concerned about soundstaging with Hornet. Have heard some negatives on that. Anyone care to comment? I'm interested too in the Hornet, esp since it's returnable if it isn't a proper fit with my Ety4p/Ipod setup

May 25, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Well your not going to get soundstage when using IEM's anyways so it's a bit of a moot point. The Hornet does have more of a forward or front row presentation but it does not feel compressed if that makes sense. It still maintains depth and weight. If you are big on classical the SR-71 can't be beat but I've never used it with IEM's so can not comment on how well the two mate.

Many Ety users prefer the Xin amps because of the bass boost which most Ety's need. It's really all about synergy... most of the amps discussed around here are pretty good but they also have their high points or fortes when it comes to synergy with certain cans or genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back