SQ evaluations of any component are meaningless unless you can give specific information as to where the recording was sourced from !
Aug 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

knowhatimean

500+ Head-Fier
Did you ever wonder how there could be some so many diverse opinions on just about any available(or non - available) piece of electronic equipment? The simple truth is that most recorded music is mediocrely recorded at best & most general consumers are quicker to fault the equipment they are listening to then to buying better recorded music. As they say, "to each , his own", but it's pretty silly to talk about how certain instuments or vocals sound unless you know how much equalization was applied to the recording in the first place. That could (or more realistically) is the reason you don't like the way something sounds ! Once again most of us are blaming the messenger for the message! Broadcast equipment & home equipment are vastly different. The alternative of course is to not spend that much on your music playback purchases or step-up to better recorded music. I don't know about others, but I have absolutely no way to judge how accurate someone's take on a piece of equipment is if I don't know what they were listening to specifically. If you mention what recording/recordings you were listening to I have a point of reference as to whether your take has any creedence or not.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 7
Nah, but if one less moron refrains from making sq comments without any point of reference, that will work. Come on, how stupid is it to assume that everything you listen to was decently recorded. That's not the real world 'bro'. Maybe too much 'partying' leads people to making useless comments as to how things sound. The comments are useless because we all hear differently 'bro' (see it's not hard to talk like a 13yr old, is it bro?)

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Nope, was'nt talking about comments about any amount of recordings. I was referring to making sound generalizations without naming any specific recordings. As far as I'm concerned , all of the recordings someone listens to could be 'crapola' (that would be really unlikely, I'll admit, but who knows?) . All I'm saying is that people are much quicker to "dis" equipment than they are to "dis" whatever it is they listen to. I know it's a bad analogy but it's almost like someone saying "That Chris is a messed up dude!" without offering any hard evidence to support that claim like "he borrows stuff, & you never see that again !" . In retrospect , I guess I was bored w/ all the rain on this past Sunday & I will admit my discussion topic is pretty weak , so I would'nt mind if this thread were to whither & go "belly up" at this point. (I'll try to refrain from letting my boredom get the better of me in the future ! Yeah I know I'm probably a "messed up dude" but there's no need to advertize it, right?)

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Did you ever wonder how there could be some so many diverse opinions on just about any available(or non - available) piece of electronic equipment? The simple truth is that most recorded music is mediocrely recorded at best & most general consumers are quicker to fault the equipment they are listening to then to buying better recorded music. As they say, "to each , his own", but it's pretty silly to talk about how certain instuments or vocals sound unless you know how much equalization was applied to the recording in the first place. That could (or more realistically) is the reason you don't like the way something sounds ! Once again most of us are blaming the messenger for the message! Broadcast equipment & home equipment are vastly different. The alternative of course is to not spend that much on your music playback purchases or step-up to better recorded music. I don't know about others, but I have absolutely no way to judge how accurate someone's take on a piece of equipment is if I don't know what they were listening to specifically. If you mention what recording/recordings you were listening to I have a point of reference as to whether your take has any creedence or not.

This is head-fi, a fun site, but opinions are made moot by countless factors that are present here.  The only way to find out is to try for yourself.  I also disagree that generally characterestics cant be stated in ones opinion, I do find the ways people tend to try and describe how something sounds to be silly and unintuitive though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back