SQ between Colorfly CX4 and Cowon X9 or Z2
Jan 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

J Bones

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry! I do not have any insight to this rather I am just curious if anyone else might...? I originally had been looking for a DAP with a color touch screen, great SQ and playback, at least 16GB (hopefully expandable memory as well), excellent battery life and capability of playing FLAC files. So quite naturally, the Cowon line (X9 and Z2) looked like great candidates, but I've read quite a few reviews that rave on the CX4's features and music quality. I have primarily dismissed other DAP options after encountering these 3 but am always open to new options. I am still curious though if anyone from personal experience of owning at least 2 of these has any insight on the SQ between the two, and hopefully, if the Colorfly CX4 really is worth trying to get despite the fact that is has no touch screen (which is a huge plus as far as navigation goes for me). Thanks for any help as this may help guide my decision as to what to get after I sell the good 'ol idevice 
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 9
I have owned Cowon S9, C2, D2+, Colorfly CK4 is on a whole new level of sound entirely. Expansive head / soundstage, better detailing, separation, stereo, makes Cowon players sound flat boring and babyish.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I have owned Cowon S9, C2, D2+, Colorfly CK4 is on a whole new level of sound entirely. Expansive head / soundstage, better detailing, separation, stereo, makes Cowon players sound flat boring and babyish.

Is it just that these portable sources sound better because they have better internal amps/DAC's? I never really imagine that the source would have much of an impact as the phones/external amp/DAC might, but it's seeming that this may very well be the case. Do you still feel the CK4 is worth it though despite it's resistive screen? (I'm assuming your current source is the CK4 that is)

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Is it just that these portable sources sound better because they have better internal amps/DAC's? I never really imagine that the source would have much of an impact as the phones/external amp/DAC might, but it's seeming that this may very well be the case. Do you still feel the CK4 is worth it though despite it's resistive screen? (I'm assuming your current source is the CK4 that is)

I still feel it's worth it, what you're paying for is the internal amp and Cyrus flagship DAC. Unlike regular MP3 players that use an amp chip CK4's internal amp is much cleaner which allows everything to run smoother, CK4 is not touch screen, it's all controlled by tactile buttons, to be honest the screen is not very good, average video quality, average pixel rate. I haven't used for video playback.

You won't be getting best results out of your game of thrones DVD on this device, though for $180 you will get good sound quality a decent headphone out and a line out for amping .My main rig I use is Colorfly CK4 and C&C BH amp, although CK4 will bury most mainstream players I still feel it sounds best from it's line out feature. Because CK4+ suffers some bass roll-off a step roll off below 200Hz which is effected mostly by low impedance IEM's. If you amp the player that roll off disappears.

I guess it depends how serious you want to get about SQ, how much you want to extract from your music, if you want the features and extra functions go for the Cowon. CK4 I still only rate as good quality music player. You'll only achieve 8 hours a charge.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I guess it depends how serious you want to get about SQ, how much you want to extract from your music, if you want the features and extra functions go for the Cowon. CK4 I still only rate as good quality music player. You'll only achieve 8 hours a charge.

This is actually one of the few things that I would rank pretty high in my priorities for buying a DAP. I almost was sold on the X9 just from the simple fact that i could probably play it for a week w/o charging, but the CK4 not even 2-3 days. I think the Z2 is what I'm leaning towards though now. Thanks for the input!

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

This is actually one of the few things that I would rank pretty high in my priorities for buying a DAP. I almost was sold on the X9 just from the simple fact that i could probably play it for a week w/o charging, but the CK4 not even 2-3 days. I think the Z2 is what I'm leaning towards though now. Thanks for the input!

From what I understand, most only get about 20 hours battery time from there Z2, and that's assuming wifi off, etc. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
From what I understand, most only get about 20 hours battery time from there Z2, and that's assuming wifi off, etc. 

That's still better than the 5 hours I get from my iPod touch 
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

That's still better than the 5 hours I get from my iPod touch 
tongue.gif

Something is really wrong, or your Touch is really old...lol. I had a 4th gen Touch that was good for over 30 hours if i wasn't using the screen and wifi.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Something is really wrong, or your Touch is really old...lol. I had a 4th gen Touch that was good for over 30 hours if i wasn't using the screen and wifi.

That was a bit exaggerated but I do have to charge it everyday which is a pain since sometimes I manage to forget and then have to go the next day w/o any music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back