SQ: AMP3 VS Clip+?
Oct 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CML86

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared Amp3 Pro and Sansa Clip+? Which one has better sound quality in terms of accuracy and neutrality? I tried to search but didn't find any direct comparison between these two players. I wonder which one will be a better source for RE0. Thanks for any help!

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 20
I own both. Head to head, I'd choose the Amp3 for SQ hands-down, the Clip+ for flexibility and fun (8GB + 16GB card in something the size of a matchbox. The Amp3 is a finicky DAP, but it is also an amp (so you get both an amp and a DAP for the price of one, with very decent ear buds). I think highly of them both. When you put on the right phones (in my case, Grados, KSC35s or Shure S4s), the Amp3 sound is untouchable compared to my other players.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both. Head to head, I'd choose the Amp3 for SQ hands-down.

x2! I also have the clip (not the clip+ though) and the AMP3 Pro1 and Pro2. Having that built in amp is a huge advantage. Though the clip is much more versatile and compact (though the AMP3 isn't that large). The built in amp in the AMP3 just makes the music seem more spacious and tightens the sound all that much more. Plus the whole focus in the development of the AMP3 was the sound. You can tell that by how buggy the AMP3 is in just about all areas. If you get an AMP3 patience isn't only a virtue, it's mandatory!
wink.gif
Don't get me wrong, I love my AMP3's and in no way regret the purchases. The sound is worth all the inconveniences to me, but it might not be for everybody.

Oh, and I mainly use my PK1's with the AMP3. Though it makes my 8.35D's and Proline 2500's sound better as well!

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 20
Does the AMP3 how the power to drive the signal to near line-out levels like my Cowon D2? I love being able to plug it into my home receiver and have my music right there. If the AMP3 could do the same and maybe even sound better I'd be very interested!

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 20
There is an actual line out on the AMP3 if that's what you mean. The AMP3 can be used as an amp only as well as the actual DAP. I don't know how it compares to the D2 though. Haven't even seen one of those let alone used one.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 20
RMAA Results of the AMP3 are bad. It has even worse bass roll off than the D2 and the frequency response is is everything but smooth and clean. Additionally, a very annoying hiss is reported by most owners. Altogether, the AMP3 seems to sound like a cheap no-name-player. After reading many owners reports, there's absolutely no reason for me to waste a single minute for testing this device. With cheap headphones like the Porta Pro, the AMP may sound ok, but I don't think that owners of high class IEMs can be happy with this thing.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 20
New member, nice post. You don't really know what you are talking about, especially since you've never owned the Amp3. Sounds more like you are trying to enter trolldom than anything else. If you read the Amp3 threads, some folks with JH13s say they match up well with the Amp3. RMAA results? We don't need no stinkin' RMAA results. Ears are a much better gauge. There is hiss, with some phones, but you are really off base re the Amp3 SQ. You might have "read many owners reports," but you didn't comprehend them.

Anyway, you can always get a Clip+ instead. Do you own one of them at least? Since this is an Amp3 vs. Clip+ thread.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asspirin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RMAA Results of the AMP3 are bad. It has even worse bass roll off than the D2 and the frequency response is is everything but smooth and clean. Additionally, a very annoying hiss is reported by most owners. Altogether, the AMP3 seems to sound like a cheap no-name-player. After reading many owners reports, there's absolutely no reason for me to waste a single minute for testing this device. With cheap headphones like the Porta Pro, the AMP may sound ok, but I don't think that owners of high class IEMs can be happy with this thing.

Oh no

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 20
For pure sound quality the Creative players always come out on top when measured in such analitical terms but I know of no one who owns one or likes one. I have the AMP3 pro1 and 2 and no matter what the figures say my personal appraisal of the players is that on sound quality alone they are far above others on the market and I use them with my Chinese modded four driver UE10s.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 20
The only problem I have with the sound of the AMP3 is that it lacks the crisp edges that my iPod touch has in both the lows and highs, but for mid-oriented music, it is one of the best listens out there. My unit has a defective power supply and will be replaced by another, so I can comment more on hiss (white noise) and the sound later. It is possible that the power supply has much to do with its bass roll off, but I am unsure.

For electronic, I prefer the iPod touch, but for lyrical music, the AMP3 is a melodious unit which smacks the Clip in the head. The ability to use it as an amp for sources like a DVD player or computer is wonderful!

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asspirin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AMP3 seems to sound like a cheap no-name-player.

I love the line "seems to sound like..." Let this be a lesson that whenever asking for opinions/advice, always consider the source. You be the judge on how valuable the opinion of someone who's never actually heard the device is.

I'm in agreement with tstarn06. Not only has Asspirin never heard an AMP3 he clearly hasn't done much searching through the threads here because the AMP3's reception has been very positive. I haven't done much general searching on the AMP3 but the comments on the AMP3 Pro1 and Pro2's threads are almost universally positive on the sound. There are other issues to consider, but it sounds great, particularly for the price.

I don't care about RMAA either! There is more that goes into listening to music than frequency responses!

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 20
I have the RE0, amp3, and the clip (not the clip+). The AMP3 is a better source for the RE0. I have to almost max out the volume on the clip to get to normal listening levels with the RE0. More bass presence with the amp3 as well.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 20
Clip+ seems to have a much better output, It powers my Hd280s and Grados quite fine something my Fuze didn't do.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 20
You have an Amp3?

As noted, I have both the Clip+ and the Amp3, and the Clip+ does have trouble driving some phones, need to almost max the volume. Amp3 (Pro1 with 5.31) is plenty loud and hardly ever go beyond 22 of 29, no matter which phone I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back