SQ - 3rd Gen iPod vs. 2nd Gen iPod Mini/Photo or M3
Apr 6, 2005 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ProleArtThreat

100+ Head-Fier
I have a small dilemma on my hands. I'm looking to finish upgrading my portable rig, at least for the next year (yeah right... but one can dream). I can either update my source or get an amp, P->S adapter, and a Sik Din w/ a decent interconnect. I currently have a 3rd gen 10GB iPod. Space doesn't concern me since my entire CD collection is not going to fit on anything anyway until someone comes out with a 200+ gig DAP.

Has anyone here upgraded a 3rd gen iPod to one of the new models and seen an appreciable increase in sound quality? I know the Shuffle is rumored to be a substantial improvement, but that's not really an option since I tend to play entire albums at once, as opposed to individual songs. So I'm looking at either an iPod Mini or iPod Photo. That may leave me a little money for a cheaper amp, like a CMOY or Mint. If I keep my current iPod, I will most likely get an SR-71, which is out of the question if I upgrade my iPod.

I'm a Mac user so I'm really left with few options on the DAP side, apart from an iAudio M3, but again I'm not sure if the increase in sound quality would make it worth it. Any suggestions?

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 6
We have played with all the Ipods from first generation to the latest and I don’t think there is much of quality jump from the 3rd generation to current generation.

Keith Ashwood

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 6
... even if there was, I really doubt it would be as large an increase as adding that Emmeline. iPod>SR71>Etys isn't too shabby at all.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 6
from listening to my ipod and my rother's m3, i can say that the m3 emphisises treble more than the ipod. the bass is the same imo. from what others and i say: the ipod has a neutral sound. the iaudio has a very nice sound out of my e2 i must admit. iaudio also has a parametric eq so that another thumbs up for it.

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacko
from listening to my ipod and my rother's m3, i can say that the m3 emphisises treble more than the ipod. the bass is the same imo. from what others and i say: the ipod has a neutral sound. the iaudio has a very nice sound out of my e2 i must admit. iaudio also has a parametric eq so that another thumbs up for it.

I can't personally substantiate these claims, but I've heard that the mini and certain versions of the ipod photo have a little bit lower sound quality than 3 or 4G ipods.

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm going to respond any time I see the Photo (I believe the only model mentioned to be lower quality is 30GB) is inferior to 4G models has been stated by two members and denied by two others (including myself). There are other reviews around that also state the quality is the same - you decide how much or little cred to give them. I'm not going to state the Photos are not inferior (it may end up being so), just that anytime it's repeated here that 'some say' it should probably be stated 'some say not'. Like much around here, repetition creates its own truth (whether it is or not). This Photo 'inferiority' is already starting to creep that way. I know NeoteriX you clarified your comment, just wanted to do so a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back