Spyware, Adware, Pop Up, how can I get rid of them??
May 5, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 33
i think spybot was voted as one of the best by pcmag. try to reinstall your google bar. It blocks almost everything for me and make sure everything is on and make sure it blocks.

May 5, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Better compatibility with websites. There's quite a few websites that cause errors or display wrong on Opera for some reason.

Not only that, Mozilla already has a built-in goggle bar & pop-up stopper
wink.gif

May 5, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #18 of 33
Spybot was extremely good last year but it has since fallen behind ad-aware. If one is using Spybot 1.2 you will find that there have not been updates since March. You have to try out Spybot 1.3 RC5 which is still a touch rough in parts. But overall, what Ad-aware lost out last year has been corrected vis-a-vis Spybot which I have found since the latter part of last year has been less effective than Ad-Adware.

As regards pop-ups I have ie6 (I also occasionally use Firefox) and the google toolbar is outstanding at what it does.

www.dslreports.com has lots of discussion on this under the security section.

Peter

May 5, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #19 of 33
recently i had bad luck with stubborn spyware and the only thing that i found online that nailed the probelm was Bazooka Spyware Scanner. Granted, it isn't the easiest to use (instead of deleting the files and registry keys, it points you to their website and shows you were all the locations are to manually delete them), but it was the most complete solution.

May 6, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #24 of 33
Spybot S&D has not received any updates for a long time. It has fallen out of favor as one of my favorite anti-spyware software, but its hard to beat free. However, I think lavasoft's Adaware has been giving too many updates recently. Maybe they are trying to convince people they are on the ball, but the updates are empty or bogus. Maybe spyware authors are working over time and the updates are legitimate. Who knows? I use to work at a software company that ended up in a funny conundrum - its bad to hand out too many updates in a small period of time. People get suspicious or begin to think your software quality is faulty.

I have used spysweeper for awhile. I think spysweeper is very good if you are willing to subscribe to it. However, I think spysweeper is overly eager in getting rid of many cookies that are not exactly mal-ware. Some people think this over eagerness is a way to scare people into subscribing spysweeper. I can care less as long the product does what its advertised to do. Since I never subscribed with spysweeper, I have no knowledge about their quality of their updates.

I use opera as much as I can because its so incompatible with so much web content, I think it prevents some spyware from working. If you need to use IE, I recommend SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, two free tools that the spybot people recommend using in conjunction with spybot. SpywareBlaster seems to get new updates about every week and it seemed to stop a lot of spyware from entering my computer while using IE.

Firewall is important. I recommend Sysgate, Zone Alarm, or the payware version of Outpost. I catch a lot of popular shrink-wrapped software trying to secretly send data back to headquarters without prior acknowledgement.

May 6, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yeah, definately, use ad aware and whatever else necessary to get the garbage off your system, then install a firewall!!! Zone Alarm is wonderful and free.

I used it for a while, but found out it misses a bit of outgoing hits. Sygate Personal Firewall is also free and has done a better job in my computer.

May 6, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

stop looking at so much ****!

I rarely go to those sites!!!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I used it for a while, but found out it misses a bit of outgoing hits. Sygate Personal Firewall is also free and has done a better job in my computer.

I tried installing Sygate, but I could never surf with it enabled even after allowing all the programs internet access
frown.gif

May 6, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 33
If memory serves me correctly, I believe a similar situation had arisen back in '96 or '97 with a rather prominent operating system software company and the response at that time is also appropriate to your SpyGate issue, "That's not a bug it's a security feature."
icon10.gif

May 6, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
I tried installing Sygate, but I could never surf with it enabled even after allowing all the programs internet access
frown.gif

That's because Sygate is protecting the Internet from bad people like you.
biggrin.gif

I am just kidding. Sygate is not exactly user friendly like Zone Alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back