Spring Los Angeles / So. Cal meet?
Feb 13, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #33 of 45
oh yeah.... i remember... you were asking about the ppa right? anyway... yes, i live on sycamore, right in front of Foothills Jr High. and nope.... there are no decent audiophile stores. there is another shop a little south of Duarte on Rosemead... and they have some high end stuff.... but they ain't too nice either.

all the stores i've been to, here and in hong kong, i've never felt comfortable.... kinda like hanging out at a ferrari dealership i guess. just not my kind of people.

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #34 of 45
ppa? What's that? BTW I live on Camino Real. Did the shop on Duarte carry any headphone amp? Or Sony ES SACD players? I don't care if they are nice or not, just want some gear.

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #35 of 45
oh, okay.... ain't you then. interesting. then there are 3 head-fi'ers in Arcadia. funny you guys never came to my meets. anyway.... headphone gear?--heh he, no... they would laugh you out of the store probably.

the closest place that has that sort of stuff and other cool gear too is Upscale Audio.... forgot the city name, but i think it's about 20-30 miles away. but i don't like the owner.... he's pretty snobby--Kevin i think his name is. but they have good stuff.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #36 of 45
Orpheus

I believe Upscale is in Upland, just off Mountain and the new 215 extension. Kevin Deal is the man's name, but from the times I've been to his place, he is not really into Headphones. He has a personal set up with HD600s attached to a Cary SLI-80, but that is it. He is not really into letting you hang around and listen to gear, as he is mostly about internet and phone sales.

How about GNP audio on Colorado. I haven't been there in 15 years, but when I was there they were Stax dealers.

Brooks Berdan is also in your area if I remember correctly. The owner seems to be a nice guy, and is a real vinyl expert. Besides he has a nice museum of old audio equipment around. He also has an old Stax integrated headphone amp that is the only example that I've ever seen.

Just my two cents.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #37 of 45
hmm.... GNP..... i heard that there was a store around...maybe that's it. gotta look it up.

gotta check out that Brooks thing too. you say he's nice huh? i've yet to meet a nice audiophile store owner. they all got something up their ass around here...... hopefully those two stores are as good as you remember.
wink.gif

smokey, were you the asian dude that brought the r-10's at the meet? --just trying to remember everyone's faces.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #38 of 45
Orpheus,

No I have never been able to get to a meet. I don't move that well anymore, and seldom travel, except for work. Looks wise, I actually resemble Konishiki, except with more hair and a lighter skin shade.

As far as the location of the head thing, unfortunately that seems to be a curse of this hobby. I don't understand it either. You would think if you were in business you'd be nicer to the customers. Just another reason the high end two channel business is dying.
mad.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Any of you know good hifi headphone friendly store in LA area? Closer to pasadena the better but I wouldn't mind driving up to 30 miles for good gear. I only know this one place called Soundfactor in pasadena but they don't seem to carry lot of different models. And they don't carry any headphone amps and has only Grado cans.

Definition Audio has Grado and will let you hang out for hours listening before you make a purchase. You can visit their website at http://www.definition.com/

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #40 of 45
Any store that has a problem with me hanging out and checking out stuff won't get any of my money. That's just plain stupid business sense.
rolleyes.gif

Anywho, back on topic. Iron_Dreamer, Ozric, and I are having a Micro-Meet tomorrow. We are going to be comparing his modded RME digi96/8 PAD with my stock one. Of course, I'm going to be bringing along all of my amps and phones too.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Definition Audio has Grado and will let you hang out for hours listening before you make a purchase. You can visit their website at http://www.definition.com/

Same with Soundfactor.com in Pasadena. They only stock Grados and will let you demo them long as you like. It's where I bought my SR60.

A guy there answered all my questions for nearly an hour. Problem is they don't carry stuff I want: Sony ES Sacd players, high-end Sennheisers, and headphone amps.

Sony's website lists Goodguys as ES dealer. Any of you seen ES players there? I know there are better SACD players but I found not many manufacturers make under $1k SACD players.

Just ordered Ety 4S with headroom supreme amp two days ago so SACD and Senns are few months away
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 45
hey.... i'm getting some new toys within a week or so (corda cross, ppl ppa, and sony cd3000's).... sooooooooo....... my gf probably wouldn't be too excited, but would a small group of enthusiasts like to hang for a bit?

yes... MINI meet. not mini-starting meet..... heh he. guess just a TINY party to hang and talk audio a bit. i'm thinking nothing too serious, and not TOO BIG! heh he....

i'm thinking mini meet in a couple weeks (the next week or so will be busy as heck for me.)

but i will still do the HUGE meet when sevinginecuador gets back late this year.
wink.gif
ed--he gots your kgss! so, if he don't bring it, we gonna beat on him! heh he....

(ed.... i'll have your cables ready if you come.......... and i wanna see me pics!!! heh he....
cool.gif
check out the site.... it's looking better now)

Mar 21, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #45 of 45
When's the next meet going to be? This place already drained $1k from me in less than 2 months.
eek.gif
Started with SR60 and now I have HD600 and Ety 4S. I would love to try out CD3K, HD650, DT880, RS-1, and K1000 to figure out what to buy next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back