Spring Columbus Ohio Meet impressions.
May 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lord_tris

1000+ Head-Fier
Well first off I would like to thank all that were able to come this time new faces and old, this was extremely fun and good time.

Thank you for Coming
Zub-a-Roo
Tus-chan
BLACKENEDPLAGUE
KrunchyLex
MermaidMan
Chicolom
gibosi
Muskyhntr
Mr Strongg

WASPI for real I did not know about that Thank you Tony for showing me that, freaking amazing and my dac thanks you even more I can drive 600ohm Dt880s to a very good volume and does it sound amazing. 

Officially M&M stack vs O stack are so close in sound and quality You might as well get the M&M for purely the sexieness of them

We did a little K702 65th vs HD650 and man those K702 65th are DARK but the mid bass was kind of muddy to my ears and little less detailed then HD650.  Though they may have had a bit more Impact bass then the HD650 though.

Dave I Impressed again with the Darkvoice everything i put to was just very nice a smooth and just very detailed, Might pick one up soon. Dave Hook me up with some tubes :wink: Wish you could brought some other tubes for that thing next :wink:

Ken your setup is AMAZING for what you have done and your ability to teach about tubes was amazing That little dot 1 is amazing it pushed my DT880's even more then my magni does and i think sounds really great as well. Your HE300's are also amazing with that amp you should be extremely proud of that setup, its quite a bit better then others i have heard at more then 5-6 times the price. 

Shawn your setup with the new energizer was very nice, still a fan of the stax not sure though i will ever pick one up though.

Tony Again thank you for the information on the foobar waspi was amazing. And our dt880s pretty sounded the same to me which is nice I think its weird that You can get two different sounds from the same headphone Nice going Beyer Dynamic. And your SR60's after they were repaired were great sounding for that price range would be a great start can for someone to break into the hobby

JIm your M3 that you built that was some amazing amazing sound my friend Might have you build me one :wink: out of all the amps i put my V4's your amp has made them sound the best to my ears, though i wish you could have stayed much longer. maybe next time

Alex I did not get to have a sit down with the LP setup maybe next time But it was fun seeing what the Magni could do next to the valhalla was enjoyable though it did have that light hiss in it, hope it was just a lose tube

Ron Thank you for bringing your K702 65th i spent some time comparing this to several of the phones we had here, Like i said previously those are some super dark cans with memory foam on them maybe a too much darkness for me though. Those 3 dollar looking Koss kc35(?) AMAZING for what those are i would like to see how those compare to a JVC flats

Jonathan Man your world has been destroyed in the world of headphones huh?  I think you used the V4s the most this time let me know how you fell about them compared to some of the other things you listened to. 

Braden your D1 and denon 5k's sound amazing its a very nice setup, I am not sure what a stock 5k sounds like but your modded ones sound really good and that D1 loved my V4's i just couldnt get them to destort at all it was very nice another setup i would be extremely proud of.

May 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 12
I realized after getting home and doing an A/B comparison, that the Stax doesn't sound quite right off of battery. I was wondering why I was having loudness problems until I plugged it into wall wart and BOOM.

May 14, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 12
I think the biggest eye-opener for me was easily rolling the tubes in the Little Dot.  I had heard about the differences in sound, but it was more noticeable than I expected it would be.  Ken, I don't remember if I said it before I left, but thanks a bunch for sharing all the tube knowledge.  For better or worse, I'm definitely making sure my next amp lets me roll tubes.  Oh, and I also learned that even though my Valhalla can't since it's an older one, the current run of Valhallas (as of about mid 2012, I think) does allow for tube rolling.

As far as the mystery hiss, it's a bit odd.  I reseated all the tubes and listened to it that same day and the hiss remained.  However, I just now plugged it in and turned it on with nothing plugged into the inputs and it was dead quiet all the way to max volume.  My only thoughts are interference from nearby electronics when we tested it or my source/cables aren't up to snuff and are causing noise in the signal.  Any thoughts on this would definitely be appreciated.

May 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Mannn, I did love those V4s! Custom built headphones might be something I'll have to venture into sometime soon 
biggrin.gif
, but i think the 650's took the cake for me 
L3000.gif
. I just loved the sound of them with the D1! I can't wait till the next meet so I can do some additional a/b tests with other amp setups, and hopefully i'll have my own dac/amp setup by then! 

I'll post my pics up as soon as my account lets me! I'm still too new 
frown.gif

May 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi All,

First and foremost, I would like to thank Lord_Tris for opening his home to myself and others for this meet. This was my first and it won't be the last.  I had a great time and learned a lot.  Amazed at how friendly and informative you and everyone else was.

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay long and listen to a lot of gear.  But there were 2 stand outs.  Your Grados and the Darkvoice.  Enjoyed both.  (not going to mention your computer because that would be off topic)
wink_face.gif

I did have one regret, I was hoping to meet some of the people from the Cincinnati area.  Maybe next time.

Again, thanks and looking forward to the next time.

Jim

May 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hi All,

First and foremost, I would like to thank Lord_Tris for opening his home to myself and others for this meet. This was my first and it won't be the last.  I had a great time and learned a lot.  Amazed at how friendly and informative you and everyone else was.

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay long and listen to a lot of gear.  But there were 2 stand outs.  Your Grados and the Darkvoice.  Enjoyed both.  (not going to mention your computer because that would be off topic)
wink_face.gif

I did have one regret, I was hoping to meet some of the people from the Cincinnati area.  Maybe next time.

Again, thanks and looking forward to the next time.

Jim

I was hoping to see Cincinnati people as well. Unfortunately I was pulled out last minute. Guess I'll have to wait till the next midwest meet.

May 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 12
I too had a great time meeting new people and experiencing new equipment. And of course, I am looking forward to the next meetup!

And I'm pleased that a number of you enjoyed my Little Dot. I am not in a position to compare the LD to other tube amps, but I can say that for me the real appeal of the LD is that it was designed from the beginning to make tube rolling very easy. Yes, I confess that tube rolling can be somewhat addictive, but it is great fun and since tubes rarely cost as much as $10 each, it is a relatively cheap addition. :)

May 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Ordered the Fiio HS2 for use at the next meet. Going to make comparing sources and headphones easy.

HS2?  I've never heard of that, but it just looked it up and it looks very cool and very useful. 

I've actually been looking for something like that, and I just picked up a similar device called the "TCC TC-716 6-Way Stereo Source Selector":

It's $29, and is very versatile.  It has 6 IN/OUT ports (4x Dual RCAs, and 2x 3.5mm jacks), and all the of ports function as either an input or output depending on what is connected.  They each have individual ON/OFF switches, so you can have any combination of the ports switched on.  That means you can have any combination between 1 input to 5 outputs...and 5 inputs to 1 output simultaneously.  You can also just use it as a simple switcher by only activating two ports at a time.

That FiiO HS2 looks similar expect that it designed to just individually switch between two connections at a time.  So it's aimed directly at A-B comparing, while the TC-716 can A-B compare or it will just mix multiple inputs and outputs simultaneously.  But the HS2 looks great for A-Bing stuff, plus it's super tiny and comes with 4 quality mini-to-mini interconnects (which I could use) all for $20 shipped!!  FiiO FTW
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up on that AxelCloris, I'm definitely picking an HS2 up as well. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll bring both devices to the next meet I go to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back