Spotify User on iPhone - Does AMP/DAC make sense?
May 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

iphiclus1

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I currently use my iPhone as my MP3 player while traveling, on the bus, on the move etc.  I also use Spotify to stream music to my iPhone while on the move.  After reading so much about all the sweet portable AMPs/DACs available, I really want to get a pair of nice over the ear headphones and a portable AMP/DAC.  Since I'm using Spotify as my main music source, does this make sense? Do you only suggest an AMP/DAC if I'm using MP3s/iPod?

Thanks for the help here.

iphiclus

May 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hello!

I currently use my iPhone as my MP3 player while traveling, on the bus, on the move etc.  I also use Spotify to stream music to my iPhone while on the move.  After reading so much about all the sweet portable AMPs/DACs available, I really want to get a pair of nice over the ear headphones and a portable AMP/DAC.  Since I'm using Spotify as my main music source, does this make sense? Do you only suggest an AMP/DAC if I'm using MP3s/iPod?

Thanks for the help here.

iphiclus

First, make sure that you're getting the "extreme"-quality downloaded music from Spotify.   You change that in the settings of your
spotify.  You get 320Mbps with extreme.   Also get the remoteless App from iTunes, it lets you control the spotify playing in your main computer, from anywhere in your
house with the iPhone.

I purchased the Go-Dap 4.0 from VentureCraft, you have to order that from japan, but it's really no problem at all.   It has a DAC and
an Amplifier in a very mobile package.   See photo.

I paired that with the HD800 headphones from Sennheiser, and it's a heavenly combination.   I had my fears that the amp would not be able to drive these headphones, but it can do.   You find yourself using the volume knob at 90-100% most of the time, but I have
not required more volume that its available.   I have a smaller "cardas" cable than the one supplied with the headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back