Sportapro mute
Oct 17, 2004 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stet

100+ Head-Fier
I just notcied in an ad for Sportapros something about an inline mute button, which only has a few mentions in the archives here. Mine doesn't have that button. Does Koss concurrently propduce models with and without it, or is it regional, or an older model, or what?

Oct 17, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Ive noticed 2 different version of the koss phones now. There is one version that came in a plasitc case with a slide out carboard and they usualy have people wearing the cans posing with them on this cardboard. The other style i see are in a molded plastic case with like blue and yellow colors on the packaging. I got 2 versions of the koss plugs and the blue and yellow packaging seems lower quality. The speakers didnt sound the same and the cables were hard and cheaper feeling. Its like they changed the manufacture or they are a copy or somthing. I felt the secod pair i got were junk compaired to the first set i got about 3 years ago.

attachment.php

I wonder if the version with the mute is the version you get in this blue and yellow plastic case? I think most get them direct from koss?

Oct 17, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 7
i used to have a Sportapro with the mute button; trust me, you're not missing anything! it was one of the most awful things put to headphones, the button was supersensitive and i often would have music cut off unexpectedly... to my bewilderment something was leaning against the button. if the music doesn't suddenly cut off, it would be really staticy because something was rubbing against it.

my Sportapros with the mute button definately came with the "people posing" packaging, in this instance it was a black dude with a basketball on his side.

i'm so glad my KSC-35's don't have the dreaded mute button!
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Ok thats cool, because the 2 versions i have seem different and i wanted to get anotehr pair of the plugs but the second pair i got are junk. I wondered if people on e-bay were selling copys or somthing. The forst package says "made in the USA" the second package dont.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 7
No, I'm not looking for that model or to add the button to mine; it seems like a pretty crummy feature and I can imagine it driving me nuts. But I think it's worth mentioning as a caveat to anyone who's looking into Sportapros, or, as BowerR64 is suggesting, other Koss models that may vary in production quality.

My pair was originally bought at J&R in this package:
http://www.worldofi.com/HWTests/koss/kossspor.jpg

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen that style of package in places like Target or Kmart; they just seem to stock the blue-and-yellow ones. And I remember seeing blue-and-yellow-package Plugs in one of those electronics stores in Philly that also sells Faux-lex watches.

So maybe "for real" audio shops get the packaging with the models on it. I dunno why, but I think they do that with comic books for sales-tracking purposes; for instance, comic shops would get Marvels with Spideys image in the barcode box, while the 7-11 had a regular barcode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back