Spoiled
Sep 12, 2002 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KurtW

500+ Head-Fier
My dog and I set out on our morning walk today and I had my usual rig of late, a Panasonic CT570, my blue Meta42 and Koss KSC/35 phones, listening to the new Springsteen CD. Before we reached the end of the street the battery died in the amp. This wasn't too surprising, as I had already gone through two changes of batteries on the Panasonic without changing the amp. I thought, well, I'll just use the Panasonic's headphone output, as it can't be much worse than the amp with a battery on it's last legs. WRONG. I found it unbearable. The bass was missing and everything sounded screachy, at least in comparison to what I had heard right before the amp died. I went home and got a spare battery and everything was back to normal. I had to check to make sure the mega-bass wasn't on, because the bass was so strong (although it wasn't boomy like mega-bass).

I guess portable CD players get away with lousy headphone outputs because they come with lousy headphones. Anyone with a decent set of headphones is really missing out if they're driving them from the headphone output of most portable players, especially the later model ones that are optimized for low battery voltage and long life.

I notice that the newer Panasonics don't even have a line output anymore. Fortunately an amp usually works pretty well from the headphone output, just turn the volume up all the way.

Sep 12, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey Kurt, haven't seen you here for a while. Welcome back
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like you're having a great time with your portable set-up. How about selling me that Linn?
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Kurtw,
Quote:

My dog and I set out on our morning walk today and I had my usual rig of late, a Panasonic CT570, my blue Meta42 and Koss KSC/35 phones, listening to the new Springsteen CD. Before we reached the end of the street the battery died in the amp. This wasn't too surprising, as I had already gone through two changes of batteries on the Panasonic without changing the amp. I thought, well, I'll just use the Panasonic's headphone output, as it can't be much worse than the amp with a battery on it's last legs. WRONG. I found it unbearable. The bass was missing and everything sounded screachy, at least in comparison to what I had heard right before the amp died. I went home and got a spare battery and everything was back to normal. I had to check to make sure the mega-bass wasn't on, because the bass was so strong (although it wasn't boomy like mega-bass).

You meant Panasonic's "S-XBS," right? Just kidding though. Yep, and I totally agree that Meta42 totally rocks! Plus, line out is a must for us. I appreciate my discmans much much more after I use the line out with my meta42.
biggrin.gif

Purk

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Not to take any shine off of your META KurtW, but there is one instance where the reverse is true (to my ears) and that is the Sony E905 with ETY ER4Ps, the synergy there is pretty darned amazing, and in that one and only instance the META, whilst not sounding worse than the Sony headphone output... doesn't really add anything to the music...

But, to swing things back on track, I do understand what you mean.. using my EJ1000, the headphone out just sucks, and it is only the line out / META combination that makes this PCDP usable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Kurt

Now you can imagine my life of suffering with the soundcard to the ER-4S while waiting for the Corda's Blue mods to be completed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 6
I like to work out and run with my discman. I just use the included headphones and go from the headphone jack. When I'm actually running, etc I don't notice the sound.

When I'm done and walking back to the apartment though, I have to turn the player off because the sound is so crappy. So I know that I am spoiled too.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back