splitting left and right channels with Fiio X5
Jul 10, 2015 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gstepic

Head-Fier
I have the Fiio X5 and also use a Sansa clip, love both of them. I primarily use headphones, either my PSBMau or VModa X5. Sometimes I like using a portable speaker so I can share music with others. I currently use the TDK A33. I use the 3.5 cable since the music players do not have blue tooth.

I am surprised by how rich the sound is with the TDK, but a problem with all portable speakers is there is no sound separation as far as I know. I was thinking of getting two speakers and seeing if I could use one as a left channel and the other as a right channel. Unlike a receiver which can separate the sound it seems like using a 3.5 Y cable would not work with most music players having only a headphone jack.

I know there is a line in and headphone port with the X5, but I do not know if one could be used as a left channel and the other a right channel if I connected to two identical portable speakers. Maybe the Ultimate Ears customer support person was wrong in telling me a Y cable would not work. Does a Y cable split the music into a left and right channel or is this done in the receiver (my receiver does not have a line in port, only a left and right aux input). My receiver is not relevant to my problem, I am just using it as an example where I did need to use a Y cable with one 3.5 male connecter on one end and two 3.5 male connecters on the other end.

I do not know if I am explaining my issue correctly. I want to use one portable speaker for a left channel and the other as a right channel.

Gary

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 2
I believe you will need an Audio Splitter Cable with 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug, something like http://www.thatcable.com/product/3.5mm-Stereo-Plug-to-2-x-3.5mm-Mono-Jack-Plug-Cable-Audio-Splitter-Cab

You should plug the black stereo end to either your headphone out or line out, but not both.
Generally you should use the line out of your individual speakers have individual volume controls, but if not, you should use the headphone out since you will need the volume control on the X5, or if the line-out signal is too hot and causes distortion for your speakers.

The red and white end will then be plugged to each of your mono-channel speakers.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back