Splitting a Large FLAC file into songs, then converting to Apple Lossless
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ambrosecarr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, First off, I tried to find this answer through the search function, but had no luck. Sorry if it's buried somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
frown.gif

I'm trying to convert some of my music from FLAC to ALAC, but I've run into problems with some "full cd" type files which I had been splitting with cue files in foobar2000. Is there any way to split these files into individual songs without burning it to a cd first? Once I have it in a song-per-file format I'm fine to convert to ALAC, but I'm stuck on this at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm not sure I understand why you need to burn to a cd... Foobar2000 can split a file with the cue sheet just fine. You should be able to set up iTunes Encode to be an encoder in foobar and then you can do everything you want in one step.

You might also want to look at cue tools as an alternative for anythign you do dealing with cue sheets. It works really well.

CUETools 1.9.2 - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Ah, sorry. I'll try to be more specific.

I had been using foobar to split the file and it was working fine. However, I'm trying to have itunes play some of the files and to the best of my knowledge iTunes does not utilize cue sheets.

So, my question is how to get an album which I have as a single file that I used to play with foobar to be recognized as discrete songs on iTunes.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 10
When you open the cue file with foobar2000 it should list the individual files in the playlist.
Then just right-click one at a time and click "Convert" (or similar).

I have done it in the past, but its been a while so I sadly don't remember the full details.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you open the cue file with foobar2000 it should list the individual files in the playlist.

Pretty much. You don't need to select the files one at a time though. Just select all the tracks, right click, go to convert and choose the desired format.

Your not really 'splitting' the file if your just opening it in Foobar. When I say that I mean open it and then convert it to the desired format. Like I said, you should be able to set up iTunes encode as an encoder in Foobar as well so you have what is essentially a 1 step process.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much. You don't need to select the files one at a time though. Just select all the tracks, right click, go to convert and choose the desired format.

I'm a foobar2000 user big time, although just as a player--not a converter (I use dbpoweramp for conversions). Is foobar as effective--and accurate--for conversions, in your opinion?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even easier!
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a foobar2000 user big time, although just as a player--not a converter (I use dbpoweramp for conversions). Is foobar as effective--and accurate--for conversions, in your opinion?

I would say so, for mp3's it uses LAME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back