Splitter to run 2 IEMs from 1 output?
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

helloh3adfi

1000+ Head-Fier
I got an amp with 4,4 mm balanced output for headphones. For better comparison between 2 IEMs I want to run them through that output. Is there any splitter cable to do that? It would need 1x 4,4 mm male on one side and 2x 4,4 mm female on the other side.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 6
I got an amp with 4,4 mm balanced output for headphones. For better comparison between 2 IEMs I want to run them through that output. Is there any splitter cable to do that? It would need 1x 4,4 mm male on one side and 2x 4,4 mm female on the other side.

I would advise against that.

You will be splitting the signal and degrade the sound. Also, as IEMs come with different impedances/sensitivity, one will end up louder than the other. Other than the risk of blowing your eardrums or drivers, you can't volume match to do a fair A/B comparison. Louder volume = perceived as better sound/microdetails.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
You will be splitting the signal and as IEMs come with different impedances/sensitivity, one will end up louder than the other. Other than the risk of blowing your eardrums or drivers, you can't volume match to do a fair A/B comparison. Louder volume = perceived as better sound/microdetails.
IE200 and 600 almost have the same data, so I thought about it. I can also create 2 EQ profiles to switch and match volume. I don't want to damage the drivers of course. Would it really damage them?

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 6
The Chord DACs (Mojo og, Mojo 2, Hugo 2) use multiple outputs which are nothing else but interal signal splitters, and they very useful.
I have been using them a lot for comparison of IEMs and headphones and occasionally for listening with someone else.

I can report that I have never had problems, but I do pay attention when the IEMs have vastly different sensitivity. In that case I remove the more sensitive IEM when listening to the less sensitive one at a higher output setting (to roughly achieve the same volume)

I have never seen such a splitter for 4,4mm though...

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 6

If you do that the system will sound different with both of them on a splitter vs just either of them at a time because the amp will see a completely different net impedance and you now split its output among four drivers unequally. All the benefits of not having to unplug and plug in another one will be far negated by this problem, more so when you still have that pause removing them from your ears and then putting in the other one anyway, unlike when an integrated amp or power amp has a selector for Speaker A and Speaker B where the amp's output stage only "sees" one load at a time depending on how the switch is flipped. And even then, chances are this won't be on the remote (if it even has one), so there's still that pause where you're not at your listening position. Unless you have a kid you can train to flip the switch on command.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 6
If you do that the system will sound different with both of them on a splitter vs just either of them at a time because the amp will see a completely different net impedance and you now split its output among four drivers unequally. All the benefits of not having to unplug and plug in another one will be far negated by this problem, more so when you still have that pause removing them from your ears and then putting in the other one anyway, unlike when an integrated amp or power amp has a selector for Speaker A and Speaker B where the amp's output stage only "sees" one load at a time depending on how the switch is flipped. And even then, chances are this won't be on the remote (if it even has one), so there's still that pause where you're not at your listening position. Unless you have a kid you can train to flip the switch on command.
From my understanding this will depend a lot on the output impedance of the amplifier.
Mojo 2 for example has an impedance of 0.06 Ohms, which is extremely low. I believe this is the reason why they can get away with implementing 2 outputs connected to the same circuit. Following the rule of thumb that the imput impedance should be at least 8 times higher than the output impedance it would mean that Mojo can easily drive a combined impedance of 1 Ohm or more, and I am not aware of any IMEs that drop as low as 2 Ohms, Andromeda bottoms out at 4 Ohms, so 2 in parallel would have 2 Ohms.

So I think you are right that low impedance IEMs with a high impedance source will be problematic.
Good to point that out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back