Split SPIDF (coax)
Mar 8, 2007 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ppxnouse

Head-Fier
There are tons of splitters for Toslink around, but I did not find any to split a digital coaxial out.

How can I split the digital coax ? (Any pret a porter solutions available?)
Is it save to split the digital coax? (mainly in terms of SC))

Problem: I used to have the coax digital out connected to my 5.1 system.
My 2 channel DAC was connected via the optical out of the 5.1 system.
Today I plugged the digital-out (coax) from the source direct into the 2-ch DAC and I did like the sound much better. I do not know if that is because the optical-in of the 2-ch DAC sounds worse then the coax in, or if it is because the 5.1 system does something to the signal.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 5
No passive solutions I could think of could split the signal without causing jitter to go through the roof. If they exist they would impact SQ.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No passive solutions I could think of could split the signal without causing jitter to go through the roof. If they exist they would impact SQ.

Why can't you just use a RCA Y-splitter? I know the cable is supposed to be 75Ohm but I have done that before and didn't hear any difference.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by wshtb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't you just use a RCA Y-splitter? I know the cable is supposed to be 75Ohm but I have done that before and didn't hear any difference.

You answered your own question. The cable can't be terminated at 75ohm if it is split, and it is supposed to be 75ohm. The impact of this depends entirely on the DAC. Comming from the school of thought that basic jitter elimination devices do more harm then good in a DAC the differences in cable and termination are clearly audible on my system. On others it may not be. Again depends on the DAC. Suffice to say if you split the signal you should get a measurable change in quality on the analog outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back