Split AV-710 line out to powered speakers & headphone amp?
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sugarinthegourd

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Most of the time I've got my PC hooked up to basic Altec-Lansing desktop speakers/subwoofer. But when the Corda Porta I just ordered gets here, I'd like to be able to run the line out from my PC into that, and then into my headphones.

How are others doing this? OK to use a Y-cable to split the line out from the AV-710 and run one end to the desktop speakers, then plug in the headphone amp into the other side of the Y as needed?

Any advice would be appreciated...

thanks,

John

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Hmm...no replies.

What do the rest of you do, those who share a soundcard line-out between desktop PC speakers and phones powered by an external amp? I don't want to get down on the floor behind the PC and swap cables everytime I want to use headphones...but I don't want to hurt the quality of the signal going from the soundcard to the amp with a load of extra connections, impedance mismatches, etc. Any suggestions?

thanks

John

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I bought a cheapo dynex cable at bestbuy and currently have my dell 2.1 speakers and my altec lansing headphones hooked up through it...

I am sure you could find a fairly high quality splitter if sound quality matters to you otherwise you could DIY or just buy a cheap 7 buck one

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Best I can remember, simply splitting the cable is not a great idea. I don't believe it will actually harm any of your hardware physically, but I recall it not being great for the sound; and last time I saw a schematic for doing so, it required resistors being added to the signal path. I would use some form of switch.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 5
buy a DAC for you headphone amp. I run Digital and analog out all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back