splicing headphone recables, yay or nay?
Jun 6, 2005 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
What are your thoughts on splicing the plugs for a senn recable?

Ive just placed an order for some 650 cables and want to have some fun.
Ive noticed a lot of after market cables have an incredibly clean finish, I assume they are spliced just slightly before the connectors.

any thoughts?

and I have another question, I hope I purchased the right cables, Im going to be getting the senns 600 off amazon if they will actually send me the gift certificate they owe me, I applied for thier Visa card.

will the 650 connectors work with the 600s? or the 580s?

I havent bought my senn headphones yet.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Same connectors in all thoes headphones yes. I frequently test my 580 cables in my friend's 650s.

Splicing is how many of the companies do it, I believe they make the chop as close to the plugs as possible. Try to minimise the original cable length. At best though cut out the plugs and solder to the pins. I've fouled up a few plugs in the process but it seems to work for some out there.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 6
I am for soldering to the pins. Only a small portion of the plug needs to be cut and when the cable is in use that is inside the headphone. I used my dremel to dig out the cable. I used my drill press to drill open the cable entry. After I soldered I filled the empty space with JB Weld and used a black sharpie to color it.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 6
The 580's, 600's, and 650's have the same plug. I wouldn't just splice it. My theory goes if you are going to run a nice thick cable you might as well run it through the whole cable instead of running it to the stock cable. As far as you getting the 600's. I am happy you decided on those instead of the 580's.
600smile.gif

-Alex-

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 6
I just ordered 3 stock hd650 replacement cables from sennheiser, and going to hack off the connectors and attempt to make my own.

Im currently looking around for cardas bulk wire, I have three cables I want to experiment with!

1 x cardas headphone cable
1 x silver plated headphone cable
1 x pure 5n silver headphone cable

I cant wait to do my own comparisons.

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Ide gladly help you test those out too Rnb
icon10.gif

You know, give my professional opinion and such.

Ide also go with soldering to the pin... many do this then simply use some epoxy to fill in what they cut out to access the pins. It gets rid of any hint of the original cable and or bottle neck that might be caused by splicing... also it would make for a much stronger connection then simply splicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back