SPL Phonitor (with HD800 and RAM DL3) impressions and reviews
Jun 12, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #61 of 123
I'm definitely looking forward to your impression of the Phonitor against the Sonett as the Sonett was a very impressive performer! Based on your limited experience with the Sonett, how would you rate them even though it might not be fair to the Sonett at this moment? Give us some sneak peek will ya?
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #62 of 123
Hi moonboy,
I wouldn't even begin to try now. When a memory is fresh in my head I jot it down with key words and a point system to help me keep track. I haven't done that with the Phonitor yet. Also I like keeping tubes separate from SS if possible because I've noticed (and some people disagree) they each have a completely different kind of sound. That isn't always true (my SS Opera had tube-like qualitites), but when comparing detail resolution on SS and Tube the SS almost always wins out, assuming they are all high-end amps to begin with.

But once I have both in my possession at the same time I will do a comparison, along with other amps that will be at the mini-meet.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #63 of 123
I didn't get a chance to go to Mike's place last week, but we'll definitely meet up this weekend as I'm dying to spend more time with the Sonett especially since my amp died.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #64 of 123
There is a Youtube video on the SPL homepage when you switch it to German.
It show a 4min interview in German with a SPL guy at Musikmesse 2009 about the Phonitor and Auditor.
He says that the Phonitor is ment for mixing with headphones and that all the special features are implemented to get rid of the problems that headphones have when using them to mix.
He says that the Auditor has the exact same amp as the Phonitor and is ment for people how just want to listen to their music and want the exact same sound as the Phonitor at a low price.

I wish I could join you guys in L.A. but I can't.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #66 of 123
So who is a dealer for SPL Auditor? It's not listed on their website is why I asked. Also want to know who some of you bought from, just so I know that the source is trustworthy. This would be for USA.

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #67 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a Youtube video on the SPL homepage when you switch it to German.
It show a 4min interview in German with a SPL guy at Musikmesse 2009 about the Phonitor and Auditor.
He says that the Phonitor is ment for mixing with headphones and that all the special features are implemented to get rid of the problems that headphones have when using them to mix.
He says that the Auditor has the exact same amp as the Phonitor and is ment for people how just want to listen to their music and want the exact same sound as the Phonitor at a low price.

I wish I could join you guys in L.A. but I can't.

I am listening to the Phonitor for a couple of weeks now and I actually have a hard time so far imagining ever going back to listening without the speaker angle feature.
It is a small effect but once I got used to it I really love it - in my view it improves the soundstage significantly in that it reduced signals coming from extreme sides and placing all in a coherent soundstage that you can control with the speaker angle feature.
Finally a piano is an instrument in front of me and not a separation of high and low keys coming in from various sides...
Mind all this without any major recognizable impact to sound quality to my ears (you can turn it on/off with the flick of a switch). It has nothing to do with simple crossfeed which it does as well to complement the picture.

So for me the Auditor won't be an alternative as it is really the speaker angle item that got me hooked after a while. Even though I do nothing but just listening to music on this setup
wink_face.gif

My 2 cents.
System: Onkyo DX7555 (as transport) -> PS Audio DL III -> SPL Phonitor -> ATH W5k, LA2000 (modded Denons), JVC DX1K, AKG 701

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #69 of 123
For those of us who don't have a balanced source could you do us a big favor? Run a set of RCAs into the back using an XLR-RCA adapter. So few people have a balanced source, and this would give us a good idea of how it will perform when fed a single-ended signal.

I am seriously considering buying this amp, but without a balanced source I would hate to lose a bunch of money to do an experiment.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #70 of 123
I have tried the Phonitor for a few days comparing with my home system. The main source of comparison is my HeadAmp GS-1. I was running everything on a RCA/single ended signal.

The Phonitor has a superior control, and a slight increase in warmth compared to the GS-1. Despite the details I never felt fatigue from listening. I don't think you have anything to worry about the Phonitor being not capable without a balanced source.

Source is Oritek Zhoula v 4.2. Headphones is mostly JVC DX1000 but sometimes mixed with HD650.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #71 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you have anything to worry about the Phonitor being not capable without a balanced source.

That's good to know, and great news! Now if only a distributor in the US has one in stock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back