SPL Phonitor - Any Thoughts?
May 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Rik - SPL

Member of the Trade: SPL (Sound Performance Lab)
Hello to all Head-Fiers!

Yes, we finally made it to the forum with you. This is our first post here — but surely not the last!

For starters, a brief summary of what we do:

SPL has been developing and manufacturing analog and digital audio processors for the professional music, film, multimedia, and broadcasting industries since 1984. Among SPL's most celebrated developments are our patented sound optimization processing technology and the first-ever level-independent dynamic processing technique (ever heard of the Transient Designer?). Other highlights include the world's first discrete 5.1 microphone system, as well as the SUPRA op-amp with an unsurpassed 120 V operating voltage.

Now you are probably going “ok, so what the heck does this have to do with Head-Fi?” Well, it turns out some of our products have also been well-received by the hi-fi community around the world — including Head-Fi!  :)

Our headphone monitoring amplifier Phonitor, for example, has received quite some praise recently (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/411622/review-spl-phonitor, so we wanted to know what you guys think about it...

In case you've never heard of (or to) the Phonitor before:

The basis for the Phonitor headphone monitoring amp is our proven 120 volts technology — 120 V corresponds to approximately four times the performance of standard analogue audio semiconductor technologies and twice that of the most powerful designs. The nine SUPRA op-amps used on the Phonitor work with high-performance semiconductors in Class A technology at a symmetrical voltage of +/-60V. They have an SNR of 116dB and offer nearly 34dB of headroom, which yields an unparalleled 150dB dynamic range.

In addition to standard monitoring functions, the Phonitor offers several new controls such as Crossfeed (to simulate frequency dependent interaural level differences from both channels), Speaker Angle (determines the stereo width caused by frequency dependent interaural time differences) and Center Level (to regulate the balance between phantom centre and L/R stereo signals).

Here are the specs:
Audio
Frequency Response: ‹10Hz to ›200kHz (-3dB)
CMR:-80dBu (@1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -67dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,005% (@ 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129,5dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)

Inputs & Outputs
Inputs: XLR electronically balanced with approx. 20 Ohms balanced/ca. 10 Ohms unbalanced impedance; maximum Input Level: +24dBu
Outputs: XLR input thru, electronically balanced
Headphone Output: 6,3 mm stereo TRS
Pin Wiring Tip = left, Ring = right, Shaft = GND, Impedance: 9 Ohms

Power Amplifier
Max. Output Performance: 1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms, 360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms

And here is more info: http://spl.info/hardware/headphone-amps/phonitor

Now, don't be strangers and post your comments... Who knows you might even end up owning one of them  :wink:

May 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 42
Rik, welcome aboard, and thank you for SPL's support as a Head-Fi Sponsor.  Admittedly, I've not tried any of your products yet, but I have many reviews here of the two headphone amps (Phonitor and Auditor), and they seem very well thought of.

May 24, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 42
To be honest, the Phonitor looks wicked! I love the technical-studio look on DAC/amps (like the Lavry), and the Phonitor really looks very professional in that regard!

My apologies as I couldn't comment on sound though, as I've never gotten a chance to test out anything this high end.. :frowning2:

May 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 42
I just recently got my (black) Phonitor and for what it's worth, what an amazing amplifier it is. Just apply the usual audio clichés to define it, such as full bodied and warm, with the punch and slam of a professional prize-fighter. Another point to consider is its extremely quiet background. When playing high-resolution SACDs, instruments pop out with incredible presence from deep silence. And while the subtle cross-feed, speaker-angle and center-level settings are quite interesting to play around, what matters most in the end is the Phonitor's transparency in direct-mode. Whether the reason for its outstanding performance is the 120 volts technology or something else, I don't know. But its synergy with very revealing headphones such as the Ultrasones Edition 8 LE and Edition 10, has been extremely rewarding and well worth the price of admission...

Quote:
Hello to all Head-Fiers!

Yes, we finally made it to the forum with you. This is our first post here — but surely not the last!

[...] Now you are probably going “ok, so what the heck does this have to do with Head-Fi?” Well, it turns out some of our products have also been well-received by the hi-fi community around the world — including Head-Fi!  :)

[...] Our headphone monitoring amplifier Phonitor, for example, has received quite some praise recently (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/411622/review-spl-phonitor, so we wanted to know what you guys think about it...

Now, don't be strangers and post your comments... Who knows you might even end up owning one of them  :wink:

May 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 42
I owned a phonitor for some time - a simply excellent pairing for the higher impedance headphones, such as the HD800.  effortless control!  t

he best part, however, is the phonitor's crossfeed options, which stomp all over those offered by other companies :) 

May 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 42
Always a big fan of Audio Technica headphones which are all low impedance unfortunately, so I haven't tried the SPL Phonitor myself. Although I do wonder how do they stand against amps that designed to drive Audio Technica from ground up.

May 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 42
I have had my Phonitor for a few months now.

It's pretty funny but I initially wanted an Auditor but the store sent me a Phonitor by mistake. So I decided to call them and tell them of the mistake and they asked me to send it back (of course).  It was late in the day, so the post office was shut, and the amp was sitting there teasing me so I powered it up and listened to some music through it.

It sounded just like the auditor I thought. But it was then that I started playing with the crossfeed functions. I really shouldn't have done that because after a few hours of listening I called the store back the next day and wired them through the extra money and kept it. No listening fatigue is pretty compelling.

It's an amazing amp, invaluable for recording and mixing with it's channel features although I don't do much of that anymore.  The crossfeed literally takes the music from beside your ears and puts it in front of you.  That and it's neutral and incredibly revealing. Everything sounds just right.  I can't imagine ever replacing this thing it was well worth the money.

Seriously considering purchasing a HD800 to go with it.  I don't think I would ever leave my desk, so perhaps not the best idea I have trouble enough as it is.

Just don't bring out something better for a few years so I can afford it when you do!

May 25, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 42
I was wondering if there's a problem with leaving my Phonitor powered up all the time. Will it cause any problems in the long run, such as shortening the lifespan of the display lights? I've been leaving it on full time, as I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging my headphones to avoid the problems described in the manual:

"Unplug the headphone when you switch off the Phonitor. Otherwise discharging residual voltages can cause beeping sounds. We did not add a circuitry to avoid that phenomenon as it would have compromised sound quality. Reduce volume level before you remove or plug in the headphone (or when switching headphones). This excludes louder clicks and pops reaching the ear. In addition, this can avoid unpleasant surprise that follows when a headphone’s lower impedance suddenly reproduces an otherwise acceptable Phonitor volume setting of a first headphone at a much higher – even painful – level."

Quote:
Hello to all Head-Fiers!
[...]

May 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 42
I normally leave the Phonitor plugged in all the time, and just turn it off from the back switch. I am using it with both high and low ohms headpones (HD 800 being my main cans, HD 25, HE6, LCD-2 and T1). I always reduce the volume to min before I switch it off. So far haven't heard any beeping sounds. What crossfeed and central level settings are you guys using?

It's such an amazing amp that my WA5LE and V181 (my backup amps) rarely come out of the closet. I am thinking to upgrade my RME ADI-2, which is a great A/D and D/A but started my research for a better quality options and it's damn hard to find unbiased, free from hype and free from prejudice reviews these days.

May 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 42
I unplug mine most every night.  There is more than one reason for this, I have a cat who has an obsession with cables. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.  I have left my phones plugged in and have heard eery noises coming from them upon power down though.  Hasn't harmed my hd650s, but just to be safe I unplug them for that reason also.

My settings are: crossfeed: 2, speaker angle: 15 degrees, center level -0.6. 

Quote:
I normally leave the Phonitor plugged in all the time, and just turn it off from the back switch. I am using it with both high and low ohms headpones (HD 800 being my main cans, HD 25, HE6, LCD-2 and T1). I always reduce the volume to min before I switch it off. So far haven't heard any beeping sounds. What crossfeed and central level settings are you guys using?

It's such an amazing amp that my WA5LE and V181 (my backup amps) rarely come out of the closet. I am thinking to upgrade my RME ADI-2, which is a great A/D and D/A but started my research for a better quality options and it's damn hard to find unbiased, free from hype and free from prejudice reviews these days.

May 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 42
Hi Arnaldo (and everybody else!),

First of all: thank you for all your responses!

Now, regarding your question:

Technically speaking, leaving the Phonitor powered up all the time or switching it off shouldn't be a problem. In general, powering on and off is stressing for electronics - it causes thermal stress. However, leaving it on may affect the Phonitor's lifetime ... although, from our experience, that's more of a theoretical discussion. We'd suggest to power up when needed and switch off when not - if we all do so, we save a lot of energy, which is probably the best for all of us and might also be the best argument. Think green! :wink:

On the possible discharging beep: it isn't really such a big "problem" - actually, it is a harmless phenomenon, and there is no reason for concern. The beep is pretty faint, so it shouldn't affect your HPs and, most impotantly, your ears. However, do consider lowering the volume setting to the minimum when changing headphones because a previously acceptable volume can become too loud with low impedance HPs, for example, which means the beeps get louder. That's the reason why we also recommend to always set the volume to zero before switching off.

Hope my answer is useful...

Best,
Rik

May 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 42
Hi Rik,

Just a feedback on the VU meter light/bulbs. I prefer the yellow rather than the white/bluish, which is changed in all new batch. Any hint on SPL plan thinking to release DA/AD converter in the future or even a newer amp? I know if there is, it will be a secret but any information would help.

May 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 42
Thank you so much for your reply. I'll most certainly follow your advice, both on technical as well as environmental grounds. By the way, you probably know that there was a delay on the recent availability of new Phonitors - I had to wait almost 6 weeks to get my black Phonitor, although the silver one was in stock. But the good folks at SoundEarphones.com were extremely helpful and forthcoming with my constant inquiries. In the end, I'm glad I stuck out for the black Phonitor, which not only sounds great but looks great as well. Yes, I know, head-fi'ers can be a little vain sometimes...

Quote:
Hi Arnaldo (and everybody else!),

First of all: thank you for all your responses!

Now, regarding your question:

Technically speaking, leaving the Phonitor powered up all the time or switching it off shouldn't be a problem. In general, powering on and off is stressing for electronics - it causes thermal stress. However, leaving it on may affect the Phonitor's lifetime ... although, from our experience, that's more of a theoretical discussion. We'd suggest to power up when needed and switch off when not - if we all do so, we save a lot of energy, which is probably the best for all of us and might also be the best argument. Think green! :wink:

On the possible discharging beep: it isn't really such a big "problem" - actually, it is a harmless phenomenon, and there is no reason for concern. The beep is pretty faint, so it shouldn't affect your HPs and, most impotantly, your ears. However, do consider lowering the volume setting to the minimum when changing headphones because a previously acceptable volume can become too loud with low impedance HPs, for example, which means the beeps get louder. That's the reason why we also recommend to always set the volume to zero before switching off.

Hope my answer is useful...

Best,
Rik

May 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 42

[size=medium] Hi Yog,[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thanks for the feedback on the VUs ... I just forwarded your points to product management. All customer feedback is much appreciated since it is the best - and probably only - way to know what really works for you and us![/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] And yes - we do have secrets, which we cannot reveal :) ... However, nothing to be expected this year.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Best,[/size]
[size=medium] Rik[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back