Hi.
I would like to know what are sonic differences between
headphone amp with Crossfeed control and other features like
SPL Phonitor (the only one i've listened), SPL Auditor, Lavry DA11
and other brands.

Thanks in advance.

Stefano

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Maybe contact SPL and Lavry in Italy to see where you can demo them. Those are pro gear companies so fair chance you will be able to find them in shops. That is probably the best way to know which do you like best.

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi all,

I am using Larvy DA11 in my rig as DAC or DAC/AMP. Its sound quality is better than its old model DA10 and has a very good USB input. When compared with DA10, the sound is a bit warmer and textured. A lot of head-fiers like DA11 because of its stunning DAC section. SPL is only a head amp and is very very good indeed. I also intend to pair up my DA11 with SPL Phonitor and will go to my local dealer to test it tomorrow.
L3000.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by E Leung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I am using Larvy DA11 in my rig as DAC or DAC/AMP. Its sound quality is better than its old model DA10 and has a very good USB input. When compared with DA10, the sound is a bit warmer and textured. A lot of head-fiers like DA11 because of its stunning DAC section. SPL is only a head amp and is very very good indeed. I also intend to pair up my DA11 with SPL Phonitor and will go to my local dealer to test it tomorrow.
L3000.gif

Nice, let us know how the Phonitor works for you

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by E Leung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

L3000.gif

Just to avoid misunderstandings: The DA10 and DA11 share exactly the same DAC section according to Dan Lavry. Any difference in sound using an external headphoneamp is your imagination.
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I think you have it backwards, the headphone amp section is the exact same in DA10 and DA11, but the DAC section has been 'cleaned up a bit'. There are several notable differences (PiC control on DA11/different oversample setting on DA10, etc). Here is a good post to start with:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f158/l...ml#post5536010

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you have it backwards, the headphone amp section is the exact same in DA10 and DA11, but the DAC section has been 'cleaned up a bit'. There are several notable differences (PiC control on DA11/different oversample setting on DA10, etc). Here is a good post to start with:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f158/l...ml#post5536010

Are you kidding? Do you have an idea how low these levels are? -135dB vs -140dB
beerchug.gif
Try turning down the volume by -140dB in foobar or your favourite DAW, good luck with that. Every headphone amp on this planet measures worse than that by a far margin which nulls the difference (that nobody can hear anyway). Nice one.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm just saying they aren't the same. Dan said in the thread, that they both use the same D/A chipset, but that the DA11 is better. You stated that they are the exact same, which is not true. Conversely, he did state that the headphone amp section is the same as the DA10.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to avoid misunderstandings: The DA10 and DA11 share exactly the same DAC section according to Dan Lavry. Any difference in sound using an external headphoneamp is your imagination.
beerchug.gif

I have auditioned both DA10 and DA11 at the same time using the same source and track. It is very easy to listen the difference. DA11 is a bit warmer and musical. In addition, Dan added very good USB connection in DA11. I am using my laptop computer as souce and listening to it right now. The sound quality is amazing. Don't just look at the thread to critize but it is better to use your ears.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by potter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.
I would like to know what are sonic differences between
headphone amp with Crossfeed control and other features like
SPL Phonitor (the only one i've listened), SPL Auditor, Lavry DA11
and other brands.

Thanks in advance.

Stefano

Yes... contact SPL to answer your question. I doubt many have compared the two.

But... it appears the Auditor does not have the Crossfeed control, the speaker angle control, and related controls, which recreate the "speaker-like" soundstage, which is the major distinguishing attribute of the Phonitor, that sets it appart from other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back