Spirit Torino Valkyria
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #886 of 1,106
I don't even know what headphones these remind me of. It's hard to make comparisons (probably because it's so early on).

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #887 of 1,106
These things sound really good with metal. I don't really believe in burn-in (I do believe in brain burn-in though), but we'll see how I feel in a week or two. So far, I'm really happy with them. :L3000:

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #888 of 1,106
I was listening off my WA33 EE JPS, and switched to my CFA3. There still is a sub-bass problem. It is what it is. Everything else is amazing though

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #889 of 1,106
There is a sub-bass problem, so they are not for rap, but otherwise they are amazing :L3000:
for you and musical taste what could be better than the 1266?

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #890 of 1,106
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #891 of 1,106
I was listening off my WA33 EE JPS, and switched to my CFA3. There still is a sub-bass problem. It is what it is. Everything else is amazing though

I suspect this may not be an issue for me based on my preferences and what I listen to (probably also wishful thinking lol), but it will be really interesting to see. And as I mentioned in other posts here, seems to be a bit consistent between people that have heard them.

I heard them in really optimal conditions at a smaller CanJam, but I think the midbass certainly could've masked the sub-bass a bit. So we shall see.

Also, like you, I don't believe in physical burn in, but mental adjustment to sound is very, very real and important. Looking forward to more updates from you!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #892 of 1,106
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #893 of 1,106
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #894 of 1,106
thanks, as I listening to susvara now I was curious

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #895 of 1,106
These really are good with live music. I'm listening to Nirvana's "Live at Reading," and it sounds amazing

FGdNTeM.png

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #896 of 1,106
I don't even know what headphones these remind me of. It's hard to make comparisons (probably because it's so early on).

I believe it is not because they it's early, rather it is because the Valkyria is a truly unique voicing compared to other TOTL modern headphones.

These things sound really good with metal. I don't really believe in burn-in (I do believe in brain burn-in though), but we'll see how I feel in a week or two. So far, I'm really happy with them. :L3000:

Brain burn-in is always my issue, it makes difficult for me to make quick assessment of headphones, especially those which have something special. Valkyria took me several weeks to sink-in, I thought they were broken the first days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

These really are good with live music. I'm listening to Nirvana's "Live at Reading," and it sounds amazing

FGdNTeM.png

Live, and especially acoustic live is the bread-and-butter of the V., as their tuning comes from Andrea perfecting it during his live recording sessions.

As for bass, this is an interesting topic with the Valkyria, due to its contradictory presentation.

On the one hand, they TOTALLY lack sub-bass (say below 35Hz), regardless of the amplifier used, so there is no point in using the V. in a musical context where sub-bass conveys a signiificant part of the enjoyment. On the other hand, in all other situations (which includes 90-95% of acoustic music) I perceive them as a bassy headphone, even colored in that respect, where bass prominence plays a big role - for my personal taste - when it comes to cello, percussions, double bass, piano making these instruments very dramatic and visceral sounding.

More generally speaking, I find it extremely difficult to describe what this particular headphone does well by referencing frequency response or through an analytical breakdown in typical audiophile jargon. This is a bit unsettling for my rational mind, but it is what it is.

It is easier for me to refer to their nature in a figurative or impressionistic or synesthetic fashion, for example I would compare them to a theatrical, manneristic Caravaggio, with all its light contrasts and disturbing gutsy scenes, whereas the Susvara would resemble a most classical Canova sculpture, the Immanis an ineffable, perfect Botticelli, the AB-1266 could be a surprising, virtuosic Dalì etc.

If they were a wine, they would be Amarone, a 275 Ferrari if they were a car, La Mole Antonelliana for a building and so on ... crazy!

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #897 of 1,106
It is easier for me to refer to their nature in a figurative or impressionistic or synesthetic fashion, for example I would compare them to a theatrical, manneristic Caravaggio, with all its light contrasts and disturbing gutsy scenes, whereas the Susvara would resemble a most classical Canova sculpture, the Immanis an ineffable, perfect Botticelli, the AB-1266 could be a surprising, virtuosic Dalì etc.

If they were a wine, they would be Amarone, a 275 Ferrari if they were a car, La Mole Antonelliana for a building and so on ... crazy!
I loved the Caravaggio reference - I agree.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #898 of 1,106
The cable on the Valks is pretty cool. It looks high quality and it is easy to use. I wish it was 2.5m, but I think it's close. I also wish it was detachable, but I understand the Spirit Torino theory behind it.

Also, I asked Andrea about the new stand. I asked for an ETA, but he didn't give me one. He said he'd send me a photo of the prototype once it's done. I'll post it here whenever he sends it. I like to have cool headphone stands (I even bought the $300 Focal one for my Utopias). It would be nice to have a Valk headphone stand. It's too bad I can't find it anywhere (not even used) :triportsad:

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #899 of 1,106
The cable on the Valks is pretty cool. It looks high quality and it is easy to use. I wish it was 2.5m, but I think it's close. I also wish it was detachable, but I understand the Spirit Torino theory behind it.

Also, I asked Andrea about the new stand. I asked for an ETA, but he didn't give me one. He said he'd send me a photo of the prototype once it's done. I'll post it here whenever he sends it. I like to have cool headphone stands (I even bought the $300 Focal one for my Utopias). It would be nice to have a Valk headphone stand. It's too bad I can't find it anywhere (not even used) :triportsad:
The Valkyria Headphone stand in Walnut. I'd get one. Maybe I should inquire about possibilities

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #900 of 1,106
I believe it is not because they it's early, rather it is because the Valkyria is a truly unique voicing compared to other TOTL modern headphones.

Brain burn-in is always my issue, it makes difficult for me to make quick assessment of headphones, especially those which have something special. Valkyria took me several weeks to sink-in, I thought they were broken the first days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

Live, and especially acoustic live is the bread-and-butter of the V., as their tuning comes from Andrea perfecting it during his live recording sessions.

As for bass, this is an interesting topic with the Valkyria, due to its contradictory presentation.

On the one hand, they TOTALLY lack sub-bass (say below 35Hz), regardless of the amplifier used, so there is no point in using the V. in a musical context where sub-bass conveys a signiificant part of the enjoyment. On the other hand, in all other situations (which includes 90-95% of acoustic music) I perceive them as a bassy headphone, even colored in that respect, where bass prominence plays a big role - for my personal taste - when it comes to cello, percussions, double bass, piano making these instruments very dramatic and visceral sounding.

More generally speaking, I find it extremely difficult to describe what this particular headphone does well by referencing frequency response or through an analytical breakdown in typical audiophile jargon. This is a bit unsettling for my rational mind, but it is what it is.

@Ciggavelli and @simorag plus @ThanatosVI now you really made want to try out Valkyrias and see how they compare to Susvara and T+A cans with Envy.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back