Spirit Torino Valkyria
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #841 of 1,106

I find myself pretty much in agreement with this review, and as I almost only listen to classical and jazz I thoroughly enjoy the Valkyria in their natural element.

I agree also with the comparisons he makes with Aperio and HE 1, and with the comments on the V. shortcomings, as I have mentioned in this thread on several occasions in the past.

I had the privilege of having the HE 1 at home for two weeks recently (report here), and the Sennheiser system has been the only other one - for my tastes - being able to compete and even outperform the V. with their genres, being at the same time way more versatile (it was actually wonderful with anything I tried with it).

The HE 1 has a more linear response, devoid of the bass bump that provides that additional, masculine tonal weight to the Spirit Torino (and as much as I like it, I realize it is a coloration). The Sennheiser is less forward, and presents a more layered and airy staging. Concerts with soloists and orchestra, for example, are portrayed in a more realistic way by the HE 1 when it comes to spatial organization. The bottom octave is - while on the plush side - fully present on the HE 1 and sub-bass content like atmospheric rumble, lower organ notes, tympany overtones etc. are gloriously exposed.

That said, even the HE 1 cannot touch the Valkyria with piano and percussive instruments in general. Furthermore, lower pitched strings like cello and double bass are also presented with more richness and visceral dynamics. The more forward presentation of the V. provides a stronger sense of presence and physicality, especially true with soloists and small ensembles.

While the HE 1 could well be my one and only, I would still miss the unique traits of the Valkyria, and this prevented me to go ahead and buy the Sennheiser (well, I mean together with some slight hesitation in shelling out 70k). I will be trying the RAAL 1995 Immanis as soon as possible, I am curious to see if they can be a worthy complement or even a replacement, who knows?

Listening to this right now and if it can get better than this I am all in!

1706964272214.png

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #842 of 1,106
Feb 4, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #843 of 1,106
Anyone compared Sigfrid amp to Riviera AIC? Both hybrid and seem to have same power output?
Sigfrid cost is same as a used AIC. Anyone tried it with other headphones? Its tuned to Valkyria; anone noticed a substansual benefint?
Not much info about this amp. Extremly nishe but im trying to find a versitale end game amp (for Valkyria and other headphones.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #846 of 1,106
Does the Valkyria sound good with the new burson solist voyager headphone amp.does the Valkyria sound good with rock music and pop music.
If you're in NYC, you can go demo them at canjam in march.

I've heard them on two separate occasions and I think they sound amazing, the price tag is also very amazing but nevertheless they sound great.

I really don't understand people who say they don't like this headphone, it seems to me its mostly the fox and the grapes type situation.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #847 of 1,106
I really don't understand people who say they don't like this headphone, it seems to me its mostly the fox and the grapes type mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I think people who say they don't like this headphone have genres that are not suitable for Valkyria.
As mentioned quite a few times in this thread, Valkyria is very genre dependent. I think people who say they don't like this headphone just happen to have genres that are not suitable for Valkyria. I also found that equipment matters quite a bit, and from my experience Valkyria excels at its best when driven by a good tube amp.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #848 of 1,106
As mentioned quite a few times in this thread, Valkyria is very genre dependent. I think people who say they don't like this headphone just happen to have genres that are not suitable for Valkyria. I also found that equipment matters quite a bit, and from my experience Valkyria excels at its best when driven by a good tube amp.
@normie610 do you have any particular tube amp in mind?

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #849 of 1,106
does the Valkyria sound good with rock music and pop music.

Rock yes, pop yes unless a track relies on sub-bass content. Having said that, if rock and pop are your main genres I would strongly recommend auditioning the V. in person before deciding.

Anyone using the Val’s with a Lina stack?

I have auditioned the V. with the full Lina stack during two private auditions at my dealer's and enjoyed very much the system and the synergy. Of course at the Lina system price there are lots of alternative options.

I really don't understand people who say they don't like this headphone, it seems to me its mostly the fox and the grapes type situation.

Well, if EDM, hip-hop, pop are one person's main / only genres there are much better choices at much lower price than the V. IMHO. I can understand being underwhelmed with these genres, especially when factoring the price. Other than that, e.g. with classical, jazz, singer-songwriter, blues, classic rock, the Valkyria is competitive with the best out there, it really becomes a matter of personal preference.

I also found that equipment matters quite a bit, and from my experience Valkyria excels at its best when driven by a good tube amp.

Agreed, the Valkyria scales in a seemingly endless way (in a good sense) when improving everything around them. I find them especially sensitive to the source (server and DAC), but of course also the amp matters a lot. Tubes with a very clean, transparent, fast, dynamic, big sound (i.e. not the stereotypical woolen bass, 2nd-harmonics dominated fuzzy vintage tube sound) are great.

I enjoyed the Valkyria with the Viva Egoista 845, and I bet also the Aries Cerat Genus and the Trafomatic Primavera are fantastic pairings.

Perhaps a Primavera? :wink:

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #850 of 1,106
answered by @simorag above 😊

Tubes with a very clean, transparent, fast, dynamic, big sound (i.e. not the stereotypical woolen bass, 2nd-harmonics dominated fuzzy vintage tube sound) are great.

I enjoyed the Valkyria with the Viva Egoista 845, and I bet also the Aries Cerat Genus and the Trafomatic Primavera are fantastic pairings.
That's true, a tube amp like Primavera does have a very clean & transparent sound and it fits Valkyria perfectly.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #851 of 1,106
Feliks Envy is also a great pairing and a little more affordable than the Primavera

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #852 of 1,106
the envy is fantastic with the abyss 1266 and susvara so I assume it would do a good job Valkyria

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #854 of 1,106
Are you playing on Envy with Valkyrie?
What gain do you use?
I use the Pulsar with the Envy, which has the same driver as the Valkyria.

Until now I always used low gain since the Pulsar is quite efficient. Now that you mentioned it, I might give the other gain settings a try as well

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #855 of 1,106
I find low gain is a bit too anemic for my listening even if I can get decent volumes...I use the mid setting or high gain...with susvara and abyss 1266 I am at high gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back