Spirit Torino Valkyria
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #781 of 1,000
Did you connect a Rossini clock to the Bartók, and if so, could you hear it clearly?

I haven't tried that combination. What I have tried is to use the Lina DAC with and without the clock, and - more extensively - using the Rossini APEX with and without its clock. In both cases, the clock provided a significant upgrade. Most noticeable improvements were in form of better flow to the music, more expansive soundstage combined with a more solid imaging (musical objects are more three dimensional and layered) and a fuller timbre.

Have you ever encountered 432 servers? Apparently, after listening to Aeon, Aurender owners immediately want to sell their old and more expensive equipment and switch to Aeon or Master. Or maybe it's just a rumor.

Have you had a chance to listen to Feliks Envy? While reading the thread, I paid particular attention to the Envy + Valkyrya combination, but there is not that much information on this subject.

I have no direct experience to share about the 432 server or the Envy amp, sorry.

Apart from Utopia, Abys, Solite P, RAAL and Susvar, what headphones would you recommend me to take a closer look at?

Apart from the ones you mentioned, another headphone that left a big impression in me was the MySphere 3.2. One of the most speaker-like presentations I have experienced, with beautifully floating musicians arranged in space, and a very sweet yet credible midrange. I was a bit disappointed by bass quantity and dynamics viscerality, though. However, this was one of those very special headphones, that - although not suitable for everything - are special enough at something that could justify owning them within a collection.

Speaking about what dreams are made of, the HE1 left a disturbing dent in my memory during a regretfully short listening, which I hope I will be able to revisit more thoroughly in the near future.

I have none to limited exposure to brands like ZMF and Stax which I admire vicariously and am curious about.

Is it possible for Andrea to make modifications or improvements to Valkyri in the future?

Every Valkyria owner gets lifetime warranty from Spirit Torino, and Andrea has confirmed in his post above that if they will upgrade it, the upgrade will be accessible to all owners. That said, I am not aware of any ongoing improvement being under developement or planned at the time being.

I'll ask you a few other questions along the way, OK?

Sure, no problem. I am happy to help based on my limited and somewhat outdated knowledge. Feel free to reach via PM if the subject is not related to the Valkyria specifically, which is the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #782 of 1,000
I'm trying to contact people from Poland who own Valkyri and invite them to a listening session. Maybe it will work. We'll see :)I'm now 70% on Valkyrye because I want a great dynamic headphone. I don't write off planars, but I have found out that in many cases this technology is not that perfect.

I'll ask you a few other questions along the way, OK?

Did you connect a Rossini clock to the Bartók, and if so, could you hear it clearly?

Have you ever encountered 432 servers? Apparently, after listening to Aeon, Aurender owners immediately want to sell their old and more expensive equipment and switch to Aeon or Master. Or maybe it's just a rumor.

Have you had a chance to listen to Feliks Envy? While reading the thread, I paid particular attention to the Envy + Valkyrya combination, but there is not that much information on this subject.

Apart from Utopia, Abys, Solite P, RAAL and Susvar, what headphones would you recommend me to take a closer look at?

Is it possible for Andrea to make modifications or improvements to Valkyri in the future?
Hello, there is an excellent headphone that deserve a closer look : Erzetich Charybdis. To my ears, it is as good as Abyss, Susvara, or RAAL, hands down.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #783 of 1,000
Sure, no problem. I am happy to help based on my limited and somewhat outdated knowledge. Feel free to reach via PM if the subject is not related to the Valkyria specifically, which is the topic of this thread.

Thank you very much for your answers. I'll be happy to write you a PM because I feel I can learn a lot from you. For now, I'm trying to establish contacts with the owners of Valkyria from Poland, so that I can try them on and feel how they fit on my head. I have unusual needs in this respect.

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #784 of 1,000
Let's say that my problem is that I listen more and more to classical music and yazz, but I also like to listen to good ROCK. This stops me from blind buying Valkyri. I would like to add that I would be tempted to supplement the Susvara by adding the ABYS 1266 PHI TC, but I cannot accept the uncomfortable headband of these headphones.
Have you tried Ab1266 at home for extended period of time? These headphones only look “uncomfortable”. It’s a bit tricky to get right fit, but after some delicate frame bending and pad twisting these headphones become surprisingly comfortable and pleasant to wear.

For rock music Valkyria isn’t a best choice IMO. It shines with jazz and old recordings. Might be a great choice for the rock music of 70s, but probably not for the modern type.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #785 of 1,000
Have you tried Ab1266 at home for extended period of time? These headphones only look “uncomfortable”. It’s a bit tricky to get right fit, but after some delicate frame bending and pad twisting these headphones become surprisingly comfortable and pleasant to wear.

For rock music Valkyria isn’t a best choice IMO. It shines with jazz and old recordings. Might be a great choice for the rock music of 70s, but probably not for the modern type.
In 2021, I tried ABYS with the JPS Labs Superconductor cable. Back then the price was more affordable in PL. I widened the headband as much as possible and they still fit quite tightly on my head. After 2-3 hours of listening, I felt discomfort. Apart from that, very nice headphones with a solid construction. After handing over the AB, it was time to test the next TOP headphones. Their list was long. After half a year of testing, I decided on Suswara, it was this handset that I missed the most after sending it back to the dealer. I also liked Utopia, Elite and Final D8000 Pro. Now I want to complement Susvara with other TOP headphones. I have an Audeze MX4 in reserve that a buyer is waiting for and I don't know whether to sell it because I wouldn't want to stay with just Susvara for a long time.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #786 of 1,000
If 1266 is not an option, try Valkyria. It might be a good choice as a second headphone with Susvara. Spirit Torino house sound is very different from HiFiMan’s it’s much denser and meatier. Such couple will complement each other well.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #787 of 1,000
What an amazing day for my Pulsar.
Today my Wavelight Server arrived and I can finally use Roon with its DSP Engine.
With convolution filters to correct the Bass response, my Pulsar sounds better than ever and finally can be used for all genres.

What a delight that convolution filters are a clean and transparent Form of EQ :)

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #788 of 1,000
What an amazing day for my Pulsar.
Today my Wavelight Server arrived and I can finally use Roon with its DSP Engine.
With convolution filters to correct the Bass response, my Pulsar sounds better than ever and finally can be used for all genres.

What a delight that convolution filters are a clean and transparent Form of EQ :)
May I ask where did you get the convolution filter from?

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #789 of 1,000
May I ask where did you get the convolution filter from?
I created it myself.
I took measurements with InEar microphones on my own head with REW. Then I created a target with that raw data and manually corrected the Bass Frequencies to extend flat without rolloff.
And finally used AutoEQ to create the filters from my measurement to my target.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #790 of 1,000
I created it myself.
I took measurements with InEar microphones on my own head with REW. Then I created a target with that raw data and manually corrected the Bass Frequencies to extend flat without rolloff.
And finally used AutoEQ to create the filters from my measurement to my target.
Got it. I thought you bought it from Accurate Sound. I'd be more than happy to get one if that's the case. Thanks!

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #791 of 1,000
Got it. I thought you bought it from Accurate Sound. I'd be more than happy to get one if that's the case. Thanks!
Actually the way accurate sound creates filters should also fix the subbass roll off.
I think he also measures on his own head with InEar mics

Edit: I might just keep the Pulsar after all.
Seems all I needed to fix it was a Roon Core

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #792 of 1,000
If 1266 is not an option, try Valkyria. It might be a good choice as a second headphone with Susvara. Spirit Torino house sound is very different from HiFiMan’s it’s much denser and meatier. Such couple will complement each other well.

And that's what I want - to have everything in two or three headphones. Organizing a Valyria test is not easy. You have to wait a while.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #793 of 1,000
Shedding some new light on the Goldberg.

An interesting rendition for sure, a bit on the virtuosic side, supported by excellent sound.

Clarity, incisiveness, extremely focused on voicing separation and contrapunctual intricacies.

Dynamics swifts and tempi flexibilities are, still rather tastefully, emphasized.

Supremely enjoyable material with the Valkyria.

1697223867509.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #794 of 1,000
Shedding sime new light on the Goldberg.

An interesting rendition for sure, a bit on the virtuosic side, supported by excellent sound.

Clarity, incisiveness, extremely focused on voicing separation and contrapunctual intricacies.

Dynamics swifts and tempi flexibilities are, still rather tastefully, emphasized.

Supremely enjoyable material with the Valkyria.

1697223867509.png
I concur (although with Caldera atm, later will listen with Valkyria as well).

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #795 of 1,000
I've only seen them for sale on HeadAmp. I don't know anybody with them, though I am curious. They have a whole range. I initially thought they were Grado rip-offs, but I don't think that's the case. Who knows? :thinking:
Ricci used Grados as his reference for some years, as you can see in the headband, the rod/gimbal assembly, the shape....and began to develop his own designs. The dynamic drivers, though, have departed substantially over the years. The tiger end models have some very cool tech - motor-driven magnet arrays, for example, in the Pulsar and Valkyria models.

I'll have a Valkyria here in a few days to try out and attach some adjectives to. I'm a long-time Grado lover with several of the Brooklyn babies, plus nice collection of very non-Grado planar cans - but what Grado does best, nothing comes close to - presence, "you are there", that tactile, personal, physical impact of the music. If you're someone who experiences them that way....

But I can't wait. Just a few days now.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back