Spirit Torino Valkyria
Jul 18, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #706 of 1,010
Here is the answer I received:

Unfortunately, at this moment we do not offer our recordings via audio streaming services.

The main idea behind the All of Bach project was to create an online streaming platform for video and audio combined. Most of the recordings are live registrations of concerts of the Netherlands Bach Society and we believe that the video images add an extra experience: as if you were present at the concert. That information will be lost if you separate the audio from the images. On top of that, the legal agreements with our musicians prohibit the separation of video and audio.

Since the arrival of our project All of Bach. Our music and recordings can be viewed on our website or Youtube for free.

https://www.bachvereniging.nl/en/allofbach

So I guess we listen and watch ...
Das sad

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #708 of 1,010
Are there any detailed notes compared to the HP1000? Those are my favorite of all the old school TOTL headphones and if these are a modern take on them I could be convinced to take the plunge.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #709 of 1,010
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #710 of 1,010
Are there any detailed notes compared to the HP1000? Those are my favorite of all the old school TOTL headphones and if these are a modern take on them I could be convinced to take the plunge.

I’ve owned the HP1000 quite a few times, and from a meet listen, they seemed like a modern and improved version of Grado’s best. Probably with a bit more warmth and color, but very resolving at the same time. If you loved the HP1000s, I’d definitely at least try to get a listen to the Valkyria.

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #711 of 1,010
I's only a month since I put my classified down, but now they are up for sale again.
With my new 109 Pro and Corina I just have to thin out the collection.

In terms of resale value it's also better to sell them while they are nearly new, so here is your chance on a good price again :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #712 of 1,010
I’m listening to the below recording (in DSD512 format) as I’m writing this and the Valkyria is just downright amazing. I’ve listened to this one many many times with other headphones before, but the best I’ve heard is with Valkyria.

IMG_3101.png

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #713 of 1,010
One of the most precious attributes of music is being able to produce the most various spectrum of emotional reactions by contrast. In this, it is no different from nature or human relationships.

Below are indeed two very contrasting discs, not only in terms of sheer musical material, but also in terms of how the respective soloists seem to relate to it.

A magnificent collection of violin pieces, mostly modern ones - with the exception of the monumental Bach 2nd partita - is rendered with utmost clarity and exact-ness, an ethereal sense of impassionate detachment. The performance is far from sounding sterile or dry, thanks to the beautiful care of violin tone colors, and the swift, matter-of-factly take to these compositions is conveyed with such firm intent, command and persuasive power, that you feel almost ineluctably gripped to them.

1691316829961.png

The Babayan / Rachmaninoff disc takes things on a whole different place. Here, density of musical fabric, richness of harmonics interplay, and introspective lingering on the more overtly - sometimes poignant - moving character of the music, is what captures you. There is a sublime mastership of piano machinery (how it produces sound), and time, and the very long-arched and complex phrasings typical of Rachmaninoff become even more seductive, enveloping than usual.

1691316785067.png

Sonics of both discs is first rate, and the Valkyria ability to reproduce the core characteristics of acoustic instruments with disarming realism lets you focus entirely on the music and forget about analyzing it or similar distractions, thus creating the most precious suspension of time and place, that "concert for one" magical experience I strive for.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #714 of 1,010
Does anyone knoqw if it will be possible to listen to the Walkria at CanJam London end of this month ?

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #716 of 1,010
Desert island recording ...

Sure an unorthodox, re-creational interpretation (it's Pogorelich!), yet a most riveting one.

Pushing piano sonorities and evocative powers to the limit.

It triggers an impossibly broad and contrasting range of emotional reactions, from sheer terror, to transcendent meditational status, to grotesque, sardonic figures, to sparse desolation, to reckless euphoria. A genuinely impressionistic performance.

Not for the faint of heart :guardsman:

1689012616929.png

Yes, but we should not forget about this:

Pogorelich.png

Phenomenal recording of Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit"...

But Martha Argerich is no slouch either:

Argerich.png

Her classic recording of "Gaspard de la Nuit" never sounded better than on this single-layer SACD, based on master tapes and remastered by Emil Berliner Studios.
Speaking about Pogorelich and Argerich, it is worth remembering a sensation at the 1980 Chopin Competition in Warsaw.
Because of his unconventional interpretations, Ivo Pogorelich was not admitted to the final round. Martha Argerich (who won First Prize in 1965) resigned from the jury in protest...

By the way, I am interested whether you owned or experienced Utopia and/or Solitaire P?
If yes, how would you compare them to Valkyria?

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #717 of 1,010
Yes, but we should not forget about this:

Phenomenal recording of Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit"...

But Martha Argerich is no slouch either:

Her classic recording of "Gaspard de la Nuit" never sounded better than on this single-layer SACD, based on master tapes and remastered by Emil Berliner Studios.
Speaking about Pogorelich and Argerich, it is worth remembering a sensation at the 1980 Chopin Competition in Warsaw.
Because of his unconventional interpretations, Ivo Pogorelich was not admitted to the final round. Martha Argerich (who won First Prize in 1965) resigned from the jury in protest...

By the way, I am interested whether you owned or experienced Utopia and/or Solitaire P?
If yes, how would you compare them to Valkyria?
Amazing recordings indeed!

The Pogorelich Gaspard is my favorite rendition of this Ravel's masterwork.

In those years the Serbian was a sensation in the classical world and the Chopin thing only made him great publicity.

I also like his atypical, yet highly evocative Scarlatti from the same era... a disc I must have listened to literally a thousand time over the last 30+ years, and it still moves and surprises me anew.

1691946743959.png

I had the Utopia on loan for a couple of months from a friend (with the Lazuli Nirvana cable btw), and tried the Sol P a few times (although not in my system).

The Valkyria sound signature is very different from both. Actually I haven’t heard another headphone quite like it.

Both could be considered more technically competent (for instance Utopia wins in terms of resolution, speed, and Solitaire has superior sub-bass response).

However, the Valkyria are - to my ears - more effective than both in recreating the aural and physical feeling of live acoustic performances.

They do this by combining credibility of tone (not the same as neutrality / accuracy), supreme energy delivery, mid-bass density, large yet cohesive imaging, and some other ways that are both long / boring to describe in words and probably very subjective too.

In my opinion they deserve an audition if one is heavily committed to acoustic genres, only caveat being that due to their unconventional tuning they may need a longer adaptation time than usual.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #718 of 1,010
Amazing recordings indeed!

The Pogorelich Gaspard is my favorite rendition of this Ravel's masterwork.

In those years the Sebian was a sensation in the classical world and the Chopin thing only made him great publicity.

I also like his atypical, yet highly evocative Scarlatti from the same era... a disc I must have listened to literally a thousand time over the last 30+ years, and it still moves and surprises me anew.

1691946743959.png

I had the Utopia on loan for a couple of months from a friend (with the Lazuli Nirvana cable btw), and tried the Sol P a few times (although not in my system).

The Valkyria sound signature is very different from both. Actually I haven’t heard another headphone quite like it.

Both could be considered more technically competent (for instance Utopia wins in terms of resolution, speed, and Solitaire has superior sub-bass response).

However, the Valkyria are - to my ears - more effective than both in recreating the aural and physical feeling of live acoustic performances.

They do this by combining credibility of tone (not the same as neutrality / accuracy), supreme energy delivery, mid-bass density, large yet cohesive imaging, and some other ways that are both long / boring to describe in words and probably very subjective too.

In my opinion they deserve an audition if one is heavily committed to acoustic genres, only caveat being that due to their unconventional tuning they may need a longer adaptation time than usual.

Thank you very much for your thorough answer.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #719 of 1,010
If anyone in the EU is still on the fence on a Pulsar, I just reduced the price on mine

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #720 of 1,010
1691316785067.png
Sonics of both discs is first rate, and the Valkyria ability to reproduce the core characteristics of acoustic instruments with disarming realism lets you focus entirely on the music and forget about analyzing it or similar distractions, thus creating the most precious suspension of time and place, that "concert for one" magical experience I strive for.
This is a first rate piano recording - I thought I was next to a Steinway during the fortissimo of Op32 No6 and I don't even have the Valkyria :beyersmile: I think his interpretation of some of the pieces leaves a bit on the table however (IMO obviously).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back