Spirit Torino Valkyria
Apr 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #256 of 1,008
Add to the mix the creativity of these outsider, innovative, contaminative japanese jazz musicians, and you're set for a truly addictive experience indeed :L3000:

Have to quote myself, as the addiction is real ... I have the Valkyria glued on my head and the TBM records on repeat since last week, just cannot stop it.

I have raved multiple times on this thread about the how well the Valkyria perform with piano music (classical being implied given my usual listening habits) ... now, these Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio recordings are truly astonishing, very possibly the best recorded piano renditions I have ever heard, regardless of music genre. The detail, the dynamics, the tactility of the piano (and of the double bass) are really something to behold.

1648919761832.png

1648919795665.png

1648919955271.png

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #257 of 1,008
Have to quote myself, as the addiction is real ... I have the Valkyria glued on my head and the TBM records on repeat since last week, just cannot stop it.

I have raved multiple times on this thread about the how well the Valkyria perform with piano music (classical being implied given my usual listening habits) ... now, these Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio recordings are truly astonishing, very possibly the best recorded piano renditions I have ever heard, regardless of music genre. The detail, the dynamics, the tactility of the piano (and of the double bass) are really something to behold.

yeah I agree when I received these Albums on Vinyl I played them over and over.

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #258 of 1,008
Three Blind Mice and Valkyria - Part 3

• Not a clean (clinical?), honed-out sound, more on the dirty, groovy side
  • Thick, in-your-belly dynamics
  • Spontaneous, almost naive presentation
All the sentences above apply, IMHO, to both Valkyria and TBM sound signature / musical content, and believe this is why the combination works so well.

Following up my previous examples, mainly driven by the impossibly good piano takes on the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto albums, here is a more eclectic collection of styles, instrumentations and genres. Across all this, the typical flesh-and-blood character which makes these recordings so enjoyable stands out as a constant.

A cello and double bass virtuoso, Isao Suzuki sadly passed away due to Covid a month ago. This album is a joy of contamination between genres, the first 30 seconds are more than enough to win me out, making it impossible to stop listening until the full album end.

1650877197476.png

Highly energetic and captivating guitar and bass bluesy jazz intro, for an exhilarating toe tapping tour-de-force lasting the whole album.
The presence and dynamics of this recording from the 1972 are just phenomenal.

1650879477647.png

Isao Suzuki on the double bass, Mari Nakamoto vocals with her warm, tender, very slight accent, and Watanabe guitar. Georgia On My Mind alone is worth having this album. Another highlight is I Only Have Eyes For You, with its engaging guitar and bass dialogue.

1650879912405.png

This one has another different mix of instruments, with Yokouchi acoustic guitar taking the lead, and a mesmerizing organ section from Tashiro.
Again, a warm, inviting yet alive sound, here with exceptional bass depth and spatial display (still keeping the typical forwardness of TBM though).

1650880470815.png

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #262 of 1,008
Anyone here heard both valkyria and LCD-R? I am looking for an LCD-R upgrade and esentialy want to try and keep the tonality and fantastic tactility but get a bit more resolution and maybe a bit more organic of a presentation. I am looking HE60 for this currently but wasnt sure if valkyria may be a good shout. TBH Its a real PITA to find a demo of them in the US or I would have just done that....

May 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #264 of 1,008
Ok, so I must be blind cause i swear I found it before, but anyone mind linking me a post/giving me a slight run down on sus vs valkyria technicalities wise? I know how they generaly compare tonaly/presentation wise but cant remeber what got said in terms of stuff like detail/timbre/image sharpness/etc

May 27, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #265 of 1,008
May 27, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #266 of 1,008
is the new Pulsar from Spirit Torino essentially a Valkyria but with an aluminum frame, vs Titanium?

https://www.spirittorino.com/it-us/collections/headphones/products/pulsar-alluminium

Slightly different turning (same house sound, just a little bit different) and a big step down in technicalities judging off of munic impressions. I know two people who said it kinda didn't make much sense vs just getting valyria, but this is all second hand knowledge so massive grain of salt

May 27, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #267 of 1,008
Listened to the Valkyria at the Munich High End show, with their new dedicated amplifier.
I was disappointed, sounded very dull and un involving, not sure if it’s the amp/source or headphones.

May 27, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #268 of 1,008
Listened to the Valkyria at the Munich High End show, with their new dedicated amplifier.
I was disappointed, sounded very dull and un involving, not sure if it’s the amp/source or headphones.

Any idea what dac they used? Just a curiosity on my end. Always possible the can/amp just isnt for you though tbh.

May 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #269 of 1,008
Ok, so I must be blind cause i swear I found it before, but anyone mind linking me a post/giving me a slight run down on sus vs valkyria technicalities wise? I know how they generaly compare tonaly/presentation wise but cant remeber what got said in terms of stuff like detail/timbre/image sharpness/etc

As an engineer / R&D guy, I tend to rationalize a lot and be very analytical. Perhaps for this very reason, the headphones I have had and liked the most (AB-1266 TC, SR1a, SR009S, Susvara) are all considered very technically proficient.

Coming from this background, the Valkyria have been for me an interesting journey. I auditioned them twice, was not convinced but was sensing that they had something special I could not grasp, which especially manifested itself in the form that I felt something was missing when I went back to my other headphones, finally decided to buy them.

Over the following weeks and months they fully grew on me and finally sank in as my daily driver after a relatively long acquaintance.

I believe that the reason of this is that they are tuned by their designer with very different performance parameters in mind compared to most other top flight headphones. As a recording engineer deeply into classical and jazz minimalistic, typically binaural, recordings, Andrea Ricci seems to focus specifically of making the Valkyria experience as close as possible to listening live to acoustic instruments, in terms of that holistic perception of 'rightness' of tone, and physical interaction with energy from sound waves. He has modelled the Valkyria to be his reference tool in terms of reproduction authenticity.

I came to appreciate how successful an undertaking this has been during the last several months, where I have restarted attending live performances on a regular basis, and listening back home to the same / similar music or mix of instruments or venue type. The Valkyria mimicked - for my ears - the event better than the AB-1266 and better than the other headphones I have had at home in the meantime.

However, and this is disturbing in a way, if I had to compare the Valkyria to other TOTL gear in terms of audiophile technicalities breakdown, I would say that they lack sub-bass extension, have modest transparency, a mid-bass bump and an average-only imaging, soundstaging and detail retrieval capability. Also, speed, agility, articulation is nowhere close the best electrostats or the SR1a.

The explanation I may offer of such a contradictory picture is that live, unamplified music in real venues (unlike studio recordings, mixed and mastered multi-microphones takes, electronically created sounds) often times is delivered within limited frequency extension, relatively colored by the venue acoustics itself, and with compromised imaging for the same reason. For example, if I close my eyes when I am in the concert hall I can get a cohesive picture of the orchestra but - even with small ensembles - the exact localization of the musicians is questionable at best.

On the other hand, recognizing the timbre, the immanence of living musicians, the dynamics, are an innate, instinctive way we connect with live music, that the Valkyria are somehow surprisingly good at recreating.

When it comes to other music genres, especially those heavily loaded with synthetic sounds and effects, the best planars like the Susvara and AB-1266 are more fun and much more capable to expose details, spatial cues, sharp imaging and - of course - deliver the deepest bass notes.

In the end the Valkyria are not going to please everybody - especially at first take. They dare to be unique and imperfect, which is quite an act of bravery especially for such an expensive piece of gear, but can be remarkably addictive for some listeners.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #270 of 1,008
As an engineer / R&D guy, I tend to rationalize a lot and be very analytical. Perhaps for this very reason, the headphones I have had and liked the most (AB-1266 TC, SR1a, SR009S, Susvara) are all considered very technically proficient.

Coming from this background, the Valkyria have been for me an interesting journey. I auditioned them twice, was not convinced but was sensing that they had something special I could not grasp, which especially manifested itself in the form that I felt something was missing when I went back to my other headphones, finally decided to buy them.

Over the following weeks and months they fully grew on me and finally sank in as my daily driver after a relatively long acquaintance.

I believe that the reason of this is that they are tuned by their designer with very different performance parameters in mind compared to most other top flight headphones. As a recording engineer deeply into classical and jazz minimalistic, typically binaural, recordings, Andrea Ricci seems to focus specifically of making the Valkyria experience as close as possible to listening live to acoustic instruments, in terms of that holistic perception of 'rightness' of tone, and physical interaction with energy from sound waves. He has modelled the Valkyria to be his reference tool in terms of reproduction authenticity.

I came to appreciate how successful an undertaking this have been during the last several months, where I have restarted attending live performances on a regular basis, and listening back home to the same / similar music or mix of instruments or venue type. The Valkyria mimicked - for my ears - the event better than the AB-1266 and better than the other headphones I have had at home in the meantime.

However, and this is disturbing in a way, if I had to compare the Valkyria to other TOTL gear in terms of audiophile technicalities breakdown, I would say that they lack sub-bass extension, have modest transparency, a mid-bass bump and an average-only imaging, soundstaging and detail retrieval capability. Also, speed, agility, articulation is nowhere close the best electrostats or the SR1a.

The explanation I may offer of such a contradictory picture is that live, unamplified music in real venues (unlike studio recordings, mixed and mastered multi-microphones takes, electronically created sounds) often times is delivered within limited frequency extension, relatively colored by the venue acoustics itself, and with compromised imaging for the same reason. For example, if I close my eyes when I am in the concert hall I can get a cohesive picture of the orchestra but - even with small ensembles - the exact localization of the musicians is questionable at best.

On the other hand, recognizing the timbre, the immanence of living musicians, the dynamics, are an innate, instinctive way we connect with live music, that the Valkyria are somehow surprisingly good at recreating.

When it comes to other music genres, especially those heavily loaded with synthetic sounds and effects, the best planars like the Susvara and AB-1266 are more fun and much more capable to expose details, spatial cues, sharp imaging and - of course - deliver the deepest bass notes.

In the end the Valkyria are not going to please everybody - especially at first take. They dare to be unique and imperfect, which is quite an act of bravery especially for such an expensive piece of gear, but can be remarkably addictive for some listeners.
Thanks for this. I've been on the fence about the Valkyria. I'm not sure it is for me, given what you have written. I'd still love the hear them, but I don't listen to classical at all. My two preferred genres are hip-hop and metal. I do throw indie rock and classic rock into the mix from time to time. Perhaps that is why I love the TCs so much. I like high resolution and fine detail, so I also like the SR1as despite being bass-lite. I'm curious what the Valkyrias sound like, given that they are so similiar to a live acoustic experience. I wonder what that sounds like. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back