Spirit Labs MMXVI Series (Grado mods) : Rock your Ears!
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

crazywipe

100+ Head-Fier
About me: 

I am a 36 years-old audio enthusiast from Italy. I like portable headphones and iems, but I also like a good open headphone for my home listening.
My reference open headphone at the time is the venerable Sennheiser HD600, that I really much love. I also owned the HD650, but I didn't like much the sound, a bit too distant and not very exiting.
My daily playlist is basically all rock and metal, I also like acoustic music and electronic. 
I am no way associated with Spirit Labs, I paid my own money to get the headphone, and this is my honest review.

All test are made on this setup: 
Dac: Audioquest Dragonfly RED, Fiio E17.
Amp: Objective2
Mixed music in Flac and Mp3 320kbps

What is Spirit Labs?

Spirit Labs is an Italian modding company. They like to take stock headphones, make modifications and sound tunings, to get an improved sound quality.
Andrea Ricci (the mind behind all the modifications) really likes the Grado sound, and He thinks that even a low-end grado model, like sr80e, can sounds like or better their TOTL models, with the right modifications and tunings.
The SL-MMXVI got the sr80e drivers, enclosed in a heavy aluminum-brass cups, a new redesigned leather headband, plus more than 10 different sound tunings on the driver. He also made a re-cable with a high section quality copper cable, that also contribute to a better sound. They started in 2016 and got a lot of rave reviews here in Italy. 

Build Quality:

The SL-MMXCVI (SL from now) is massive. The weight is about 550 grams, and with my 4mt cable we get a total weight of 850 grams!!! This is a big weight for a dynamic headphone. Of course the aluminum cups are heavy, but they are also beautiful machined and sturdy. They feel substantial in the hand. The headband is made of Italian leather that is also a nice touch. The cable is... THICK. I was a bit shocked for how big the cable was. Andrea told me that this high section cable gives him the best sound quality, so he doesn't care how big it is, sound first. All in all, very high level of build quality.
With the headphone also come 3 set of pads: G-pads, Bowls pads, and Comfy pads.The best pads are the G-pads for sound quality and also comfort. You got more stability (cups are heavy) and also better weight distribution.

Sound Quality:

I can describe The SL sound signature as slightly U-shaped, with a powerful, fast, thick, dynamic sound. The bass is quite elevated, also very impactful for a open headphone. It's more of a mid-bass impact, low-bass is a bit weak with a roll-off starting at 50 Hz. The bass will not extend very deep, but is punchy, fast, and fun. Electric bass is so well rendered and forward sounding, you can almost feel to be close to the amp on the stage. The hd600 has a more flat bass with the same weakness on extension, also is less fun. The SL is fuller sounding and more musical.
Lower midrange is quite forward and gives a nice body to vocals, this is the second strenght of the SL: vocals. The warm midrange gives a nice romantic sounds that works very well for acoustic music. I really like to listen "William Fitzsimmons" , "Owen", "Dave Matthews" with this SL. Upper-midrange is very well controlled and smooth sounding on the SL,  the hd600 is a bit more forward. I like the forwardness of the HD600, but also think the SL has a nice balance.
You got a full treble experience on the SL, sibilance is minimal, with a very good extension and detail, just a tad grainy sounding. I have no problem of ear fatigue, but your millage can be vary, also listening volume is a factor.
On the other hand the HD600 is more rolled off with less treble extension, a safer type of sound that I also like. I can't help but notice that the SL is more detailed on the treble.

The biggest feature of the SL is the fast, powerful, dynamic, thick sound, that really impress me a lot. This is a perfect open headphone for rock-metal lovers, you really got a true raw energetic feeling listening to them. As I said, I am a avid rock listener, I listen to: Vector, Opeth, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, and the SL rocked my ears.
The sound-stage is not an impressive feature on the SL, you really don't get a crazy open hd800 type of sound-stage, it's quite narrow and focused. This can be a downside for jazz and classical music lover.

Conclusions:

My SL is a specialized weapon. It's big, heavy, with the thickest cable you can ever imagine. It's no compromise.
For a very fair price (350 Eur at the moment) you got a beautiful headphone made for rock. Sound quality is overall better than Sennheiser HD6xx, and this is an outstanding achievement. When Andrea said to me: "I should sell this headphone to 1000EUR" I laughed inside me. Now I understand... I can give to them my Highest Recommendation. Well done Spirit Labs!

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 4
I have one of this beast, the built quality are not perfect on some stuff like the cable come to lose and make little noise when you move the head or the headband/jack.
But I'm a hardcore listener so it's play a little on it.
But beside this complain this headphone are literally phenomenal.
I have Earing the most high end grado the ps1000e and i prefer the spirits labs version, Why? Because spirits labs make them sound alive! They are forward, thin, hit really hard and have exeptional dynamics.
I run them on an old marantz 2225l amplifier with a teac dac behind it and they are just master piece.
Even sennheiser hd650/600 or audio technica ad900 don't sound as good as the spirits labs, Why? Because they have so much energy! If we can take an example the hd600 is the comfortable sports car but the spirits labs is the ******* race car with loud exhaust no comfort at all and only make for be the fastest. The mmxvi spirits labs have this, and with a warm smoth amplifier they are marvelous.
For 400$ aproximatly you have the sound of an headphone who cost 1000.
I can't wait to upgrade it to the twin tube version!

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 4
You right WhiteCharisma, this SL is a beast! The frequency response is tuned so well that keeps all the Grado sound strongest traits (forward and engaging sound) without the flaws (harsh or overly bright treble) That bass! Wow. You really got a feeling of live music listening.

To be honest, I also think there is a small dip somewhere in the upper-mids that's why I heard them more flat than the HD600. Nothing major, I don't think it's a flaw.

Build quality on my set it's pretty much flawless, no problems whatsoever. I think you can send them back to Andrea, He will fix the cable for sure.

I want to try them with the Little Dot MK I, they should pair killer!

Cheers.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 4
For the build quality the build is nice but i'm an hardcore user so it's normal that things happend.
I lived in France so it's cost me some for repair it from spirits labs, i prefer to kept it like this and if one day it's stop working i going to upgrade for twin tube version.

HD600 are more wide/boomy headphone sound natural and good with all kind of music special huge orchestra.
But the spirits labs put that in another level, it's not a natural or monitoring or wide soundstage headphone, it's an headphone made 100% for music pleasure and make music alive.

The spirits labs sound awesome on warm and smooth amplifier like some vintage integrated amplifier or tube amplifier.
I have DOGE 6210 MKII some month ago and they sound perfect on it, really detailled, smooth and warm sound but with lot of energy in it.
But finally i prefer to listening it on my marantz 2225L the sound is less detailled but feel more alive and real.

They are easy headphone to drive, but not that easy for make them sound good they have lot of potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back