Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #226 of 265
Interesting claim on SE6 not handling fast and complicated track.
SE6 work fine for me (I listen to quite a healthy number of jittery kawaii edm andsome speed metal). But then again I dont own the se5 and I dont have the same hearing as you do.

Do you have a suggestion iem for those genre so I can go out there and see what might be better?

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #227 of 265
Im not in jail, I just got tired of being called crazy and fueling the price hike everytime I write I own a pair of SE6 or any review at all. Beside, I am so content with my purchase that I dont bother checking out all the new IEMs that came out since the SE6.
My experience with the company has been good. The SE6 itself has been fantastic and probably one of the best purchase I made since joining headfi.

Ow, I'll get bashed again soon, bracing for it. Theres a guy here who just snoop the thread and bash whenever something good is said about the se6, because its out of his price range...

Ok bye.

Hey, I know I was pushing it with my joke and some SE6 owners were bound to take offense. If you took the offense too personally then apologies.
You gotta understand the other perspective too. $3000+ for an IEM is not a small amount of money for most people. When buying SE6, not only are you blind going in but aside from SE5U, I have heard almost nothing about Spiral Ears. Moreover, even if you decide to make the $3000+ leap and say end up hating the sound signature, you have a $3000+ paperweight in your hands because you can't resell it.

Now please try not to take the next part personally and I speak in relatively general terms. Suppose someone buys the IEM and feels so-so about it, they are forced to like it and not listen to other IEMs and tell themselves that they are content because as soon as like something else better, they know they have a $3000+ paperweight in their hands.

Spiral Ears practices are straight up anti-consumer. You have to realize you are giving up so much freedom by buying their products.

I am personally looking into endgame CIEMs (Elysium) and I like natural signatures the most(I have an Audeze LCD 4). SE6 sounds like the perfect IEM for me but I will be giving up so much freedom by buying SE6 that it's not worth it for me. If I buy SE6 then I am encouraging these anti-consumer practices by this company.

@seamon: Spreading uninformed rumors. If you had checked SE warranty page it mentions a possibility of taking legal action against copyright infringement by third party companies (reshelling companies), not customers lol:D. Oh, and reshellers would be a euphemism for intellectual property right thieves here, at least IMHO.
http://www.spiralear.com/en/more-info/warranty/index.html

I own a pair of SE6 myself and know a few owners, but they are not head-fiers. Heck, I was going to write a review and a comparison with a couple of totl CIEM's I own as well, but it seems really pointless here. Got it a few months ago already.

Oh, and there has never been not even a single mention of it and no news about it on @theheadphonelist.com all this time as well?? Should make one wonder in my opinion.
Seems to be one of the most threatening product out there for their competition and current status quo, here at least. Well, at least it definitely seems to be the least hyped product on head-fi and probably in head-fi’s history ever:D.

In the JH Audio vs 64 Audio lawsuit, it was clearly stated that BA configuration and number cannot be copyrighted. So, what will Spiral Ears sue for? Will they sue anyone attempting to open a SE6 and try to re-mold it? What about if the owner of a SE6 knows how to remold CIEMs and he decides to list it here on Headfi then can SE6 sue the owner?

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #228 of 265
The Shuoer Tape would be my first suggestion.

Tin Hifi P1 works too but you need to eq (via the E1da PowerDac V2) a lot for kawaai bedm and pop. But I like the P1 more than the Tape .

Still the Shuoer Tape is more convenient

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #230 of 265
Maybe because they refuse to send anyone review units and don't make demo/universal versions of their products? At least other overpriced/TOTL IEM brands let people try out their products instead of expecting customers to buy blindly.
I think they just tried to cash in on their SE5U review success with the SE6. They probably know their SE6 doesn't stand up to these newer hybrid IEMs and want to hide that fact as much as possible from potential customers.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #231 of 265
The 64 audio A18T is sublime . Perfect reference signature with an open high end that is unique amongst all other iems due to their TIA tec for the highs . I listened to everything save the SE6. It could be the ultimate ciem. I would think if you are in the market at this level it is a must listen serious contender .

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #232 of 265
I think they just tried to cash in on their SE5U review success with the SE6. They probably know their SE6 doesn't stand up to these newer hybrid IEMs and want to hide that fact as much as possible from potential customers.

I can say my EJ07 and Fearless Rolands have a natural timbre like the Se 5way and still shows the rest of the spectrum better than my 5-way.

The Fearless Rolands is more tuned like the Se 5way with a better resolving bass. And does better with fast tracks than the EJ07.

EJ07 is just plain fun for listening anything with a very slight V (for the bass and mids) and more of a decay that is less resolving. More energy. It is like an upgrade to the Blon-03.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #233 of 265
The 64 audio A18T is sublime . Perfect reference signature with an open high end that is unique amongst all other iems due to their TIA tec for the highs . I listened to everything save the SE6. It could be the ultimate ciem. I would think if you are in the market at this level it is a must listen serious contender .
I had the demo U18t for a week. It is one of the most transparent IEMs I have ever heard. However, in my opinion, it has a little too much treble for me and I was treble fatigued after listening to it for 1 hour. I cannot listen to a U18t for more than an hour. The bass was great for BA bass, DDs are obviously better. Midrange was adequate, nothing to complain about but not really natural(what I like).

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #234 of 265
I can say my EJ07 and Fearless Rolands have a natural timbre like the Se 5way and still shows the rest of the spectrum better than my 5-way.

The Fearless Rolands is more tuned like the Se 5way with a better resolving bass. And does better with fast tracks than the EJ07 but it has less energy.

EJ07 is just plain fun for listening anything with a very slight V for the bass and mids and more of a decay that is less resolving. It is like an upgrade to the Blon-03.
I'll look into them

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #235 of 265
I had the demo U18t for a week. It is one of the most transparent IEMs I have ever heard. However, in my opinion, it has a little too much treble for me and I was treble fatigued after listening to it for 1 hour. I cannot listen to a U18t for more than an hour. The bass was great for BA bass, DDs are obviously better. Midrange was adequate, nothing to complain about but not really natural(what I like).
Powered with Chord Hugo 2 the highs are damn near perfect. Right in line with my $20k reference speakers and hi res capable car stereo . Source matters in this case .

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #236 of 265
I swear this is my final 2cents on this matter:

I haven't seen anyone who actually own SE6 and say it's so-so, nor anyone who own SE6 and suggest me something better. But then again,
1. No one buys SE6 so those people don't exist anyway, and
2. We're SE6 owners supposedly have to love what we paid for right? Sure. I mean, there's nothing I can say if you have that assumption. It prevents any legit argument or defense that I might have to say. It's catch 22, it's pointless.

You know what, I have a request, instead of bashing SE6, let's focus on suggesting something that you think might be better. I love that constructive criticism, and trying out new stuffs is fun too (upgraditis is both chronic and incurable). Who knows, I might actually find something better and can rest my SE6 on the shelf, it suffered a fair bit of abuse already (it has cosmetic damage and looks like crap actually...)

This thread only exists for people to vent because they can't demo. I can understand that, but when the thread is nothing but that, it's become a toxic pool, especially those "I suppose, I think, probably" statement on its performance, signature or quality. I mean, if you vent, vent on facts, on what you actually heard and not what you extrapolated please.

I totally understand the no demo, no review, no transfer and price tag is crap, hell yeah those policies are crap, I give you that. You can go on that forever and I won't dispute or try to defend SE on that aspect. I also have a feeling SE actual don't want your business at all when they put that policy into effect, it's their choice, they're willing to risk running out of business for it. The healthier response, on our part, is to walk away and not looking back asking for reviews and stuffs, it only opens the floodgate for toxic waste to flow.

It's take it or leave it, no need to be so acrimonious toward something you won't buy anyway.
Market will make a business change its behaviors if those behaviors works against the business bottomline.
Y'all have a good day!

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #237 of 265
Yeah it doesn't seem like this thread is going anywhere as the SE6 owners are too worried about getting attacked in order to actually post honest impressions and the SE haters will bash on them for supporting SE.

Literally only the SE6 owners can give impressions on them since no one else can hear what they sound like. But there are maybe two detailed impression this whole thread

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #238 of 265
Just to add u18 changes alot with cables. I was on the verge myself on the se6 untill i saw the way they were trying to create buzz marketing by listing a ridiculous price. When that brought blacklashes they wrote "we are sorry if we might have ruffled a few feathers with this twist (well, not that sorry either)." and then i knew maybe the people at spiral ears arent the type i want to do buisness with.

The pricing wasnt an issue for me as both my iems(layla and u18) were one of the most expensive at the date of release and rightfuly so. However the termination of ownership transfer in that manner made me loose trust(which i need if i cant demo their unit) in them. If they can go back on their words because they dont have the resources, what stops them from not fixing my iem or reshelling when my ears canal changes shape? How will i know if they wont have resources to do that in the future too? To me it just seemed they care more about new sales than keeping their customers happy.

In terms of the lack of demo unit, wavaya has figured out a universal fit without the need for tips. A very thoughtful and clever design that i belive would work just as well with silicones. To me and everyone that has tried the wavaya demo units it had a seal and fit very close to ciems(you just have to twist, push and hold them in your ear) kudos to them for thinking out of the box.

If spiral ears cant figure it out why cant they gift a couple to reviewers? Then at least we will have something other than "magic marketing words" all over their page that gives no clue to what signature it has. Funny how all one page has are marketing words and another tells they wont convince you with marketing words.

Going back on track with u18 and elysium mentioned above. The only iem i have heard so far that out classes them(ive heard literally everything other than spiral ear) was the oriolus prototype traillii. If anyone has any comparisons of the se6 with other totl iems i would love to hear. I cant get over having a silicome mold ciem.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #239 of 265
Powered with Chord Hugo 2 the highs are damn near perfect. Right in line with my $20k reference speakers and hi res capable car stereo . Source matters in this case .
Oh no no, it's me. I am extremely Treble sensitive and can't stand bright IEMs or headphones.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #240 of 265
What is happening with Se6 is freaking strange...100% of owners are super shy. Ok... To be totally clear I listened myself to a pair of Se6 one time, I had the seal so I did listen to them correctly and found them excellent but not 3k excellent and the gap with the se5 ulti is not that crazy. The new tuning adds high frequency so the clarity is enhanced and takes the whole signature into something more technical but keeping the spirit of Spiral Ears, this legendary versatility. BUT It was a very short listening session... 10 minutes so no significant to me maybe it was better than I felt.. .

anyway, Spiral Ears are totally unique on the market as far as it is 5/6 ways 5/6 tubes and it is silicon. Silicon is crazy rare on the market. As far as I know only 3 brands : SE, Custom Art and ACS... I do not know other brand making silicon iems.

Se6 has been made for hardcore Spiral Ears fans who will buy blindly any new iems from SE. For the others, se5 ultimate is already an amazing pair and you can find plenty of excellent feedbacks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back