Spider ruined driver
Oct 27, 2006 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

loafier

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of old Sony CD3000's, and I put them on recently and found the left driver was not working. I opened up the left cup and found a tiny spider in side there had spun a web all around the driver.. aah

The driver still doesn't work after cleaning out the web and removing the spider, and the solder joints seem fine. So, I guess the driver is shot? Is there any place to find a replacement driver?

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Yet another reason to hate spiders. Don't be fooled people, given the chance, a spider will kill you and everyone you care about.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by loafier
I have a pair of old Sony CD3000's, and I put them on recently and found the left driver was not working. I opened up the left cup and found a tiny spider in side there had spun a web all around the driver.. aah

The driver still doesn't work after cleaning out the web and removing the spider, and the solder joints seem fine. So, I guess the driver is shot? Is there any place to find a replacement driver?

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/So...DR-CD3000.html

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 11
Similar thing happened to me, except it was with my Logitech wireless PS2 controller. The X button stopped working so I opened it up, only to find the dead remains of a daddy long legs all strewn about inside.

I'm pretty sure I'll never experience something quite as odd ass seeing a bunch of spider legs fall from an electronic device.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by loafier

Oh man, that really sucks the big one. Having owned a pair of CD1000's, I think the CD1000s and CD3000s were some of the best sounding headphones ever available [for my taste]. Why did Sony have to start making crap and stop making the good stuff? I guess this is to be said about most companies, though. Everything these days is being made in China.

But that was a long time ago, back in '93 or '94 when I purchased mine. Those cans lasted me for about 4 years. I never had a single issue with them, even pumping up to 1 watt of power into them. Then I loan them to a friend for one night to DJ a dance, and he blows one of the drivers. I wanted to shoot him in the head - seriously. The pads had started to go as well. I wish I had known about a site like that audio cubes one back then, however, the internet was a little known thing back then. But I'm sure even if I had found a company back then that would replace the drivers and pads, they would have cost more than new phones at the time anyway. As you can see on audio cubes, they still charge $179 for a pair of replacement drivers and $45 for the pads, which in my opinion now is a bargain since those headphones were amazing.

So yes, I'm glad ColdFireArrow referred you to that site. You should definately replace the drivers, and get fresh pads while you're at it, if you can let your wallet take a beating. Mine no longer can.

Does anyone remember how much the price was on the CD1000 and CD3000 back then? I'm really not sure, but I recall spending between 300 - 400 for the CD1000, and am thinking the CD3000 were about 700? Is that about right?

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 11
I hate spiders. Whenever I see one I kill it. Bastards!

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 11
A similiar thing happened to me but it was to one of my infinity speakers.
And this is more reason to NOT leave my units inactive
wink.gif

Good luck.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Let see a spider try to kill this driver:
xxx_sub.gif

*astards! How does 1500 watts sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back