Spending 1K on rig is nothing.....
Sep 20, 2007 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
....when you start to pick up DSLR Photography LOL!. Effective last week I have stopped all budget and funding for audio rig. I am very happy with my iMod 5G + SuperMicro-IV + V-Caps Franken Shuttlepod + ER-4S.

BUT my heart froze when I began the price check on photography rig....fooo already I am spending $1K alone on a Canon L glass and perhaps another $500-900 on a used Canon EOS body (will likely be 400D for now, wana spend less on body and more on lens
evil_smiley.gif
).......and that's just 1 Normal Zoom lens. Usually a "hobbyist photographer" will have at least 3 lens
plainface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
.....and we have not gone into accesories yet...

So if you're bitchin about spending 1K on your audio rig, try Photography and you'll find the new meaning of "sorry about your wallet"

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 29
Pfft... try scuba diving! Started doing that a year ago, have already bought the equivalent of 2 sets of gear when I decided I wanted a new configuration, and there is still more I want!
frown.gif

$1000+ flashlights
$1500 underwater camera housings
$2000 custom drysuits (I live in a cold water area)...

Thankfully I get my air for free
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but you can make money (and have a career) from photography. you can't really with buying audio gear.

Music critic?
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 29
I feel your pain...

Nikon D2X = $5k
Nikon 500/4 = $8k

(Aussie Dollars)

.... That's my DSLR and ONE of my 4 lenses... not to mention accessories, tripod etc...

So far I've made.....eeeer..... $500 selling a whopping 3 photos. Lucky I'm not a pro!
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 29
I just have a canon xti and stock lens and I am very happy with it so far.

And when I am done with my audio rig I am going to get macro lens and wide angle, but ones made by sigma (?) because almost same quality for much less.

Anyway, point is you don't need to spend a lot to enjoy photography or to take excellent photos. It's the photographer not the camera.

Look up people like Robert Frank, Ansel Adams and the like. Even the average Joe has a better camera with better technology than these guys were using, yet not many can seem to match or come close to their work.

Someone else posted on head-fi, a link to a photos taken by someone using a disposable camera, to prove a point sort of thing. And they were stunning!

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 29
so dude, u sold off ur lx2 for funding audio rigs, how come end up getting higher end imaging rigs?

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 29
speakers...word.

The $3-10K you spend on a high end photo rig is nothing compared to the bills you rack up traveling to places to take pictures of.

and wait till you stills start to bore you and you try to make a movie.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 29
Just like audio, if you don't know what you're looking for, you'll end up spending a lot just trying to figure things out. I suggest really learning what you like before you spend on lenses and accessories. Depending on your subjects and style of shooting, you could get by with cheaper alternativees or even own some things. Creativity goes a long way.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like audio, if you don't know what you're looking for, you'll end up spending a lot just trying to figure things out. I suggest really learning what you like before you spend on lenses and accessories. Depending on your subjects and style of shooting, you could get by with cheaper alternativees or even own some things. Creativity goes a long way.

Precisely! Just like audio I began this DSLR thing cautiously. Doing lotsa research and hearing advises from experienced photo junkie. That $1K spent on lens is a Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF - pretty much an "iMod" equivalent in lens choice for stellar all rounder usage up to medium Telephoto. Then I will be saving up for an L Prime and perhaps another long zoom Telephoto.

So to prevent costly upgraditis, I will be buying only top rated L lens corresponding to my application.

For the record, my "Porta Audiophilia" upgraditis has cost me in excess of $5000.00 in the span of one year. It would have been cheaper had I gone to iMod/Xins early on.....but then I would not have learned much aint I?

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 29
I hope you're not planning on taking any fast picture with that lens.

Edit: Well- not sure how the IS will affect it
tongue.gif
Nice lens anyway, though I think I would have been boring and got the 24-70 F2.8

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you're not planning on taking any fast picture with that lens.

Edit: Well- not sure how the IS will affect it
tongue.gif
Nice lens anyway, though I think I would have been boring and got the 24-70 F2.8

That will be my roundabout lens.....for fast shooting I will be getting a EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Prime
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 29
Funny I started with DSLR and spent lots of $$$ after buying my Canon 20D and then the lenses. I think I have all the usable lenses from ultra wide to tele lens.... now onto audio stuff. Yeap, expensive hobbies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back