"Spend your money to DECIDE what headphones you like best."
May 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1
It's hard to fault this advice from regal (from the second paragraph, the first one is funny). Though it doesn't allow for headphones sounding different with cheap and expensive gear, overall, I vote this some of the best advice for new Head-fiers. If you add to this what someone suggested about finding people who listen to the same type of music as you do, I reckon people would make less expensive mistakes, such as I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First there are two types of headphone listeners: multitaskers, and isolationists (serious listeners.) I'm an isolationist. I listen in a dead silent room with my eyes shut. My advice is for those serious listeners. Multitaskers, just use ipod earbuds and be done with it, cause there is no way you can understand
smily_headphones1.gif

When I first got into headphones I made the same mistake as the OP. Let me tell you new folks. Spend your money to DECIDE what headphones you like best. Drive them with your soundcard. Buy a pair of HD600's, K701's, Grado 225's, etc. Decide which flavor you percieve to be to your liking. Then build your amp and DAC to match the headphones.

To many old timers want to put the cart before the horse when giving advice to newbies. The fact is that the greatest difference in sound comes from the headphones. You simply must decide which house flavor you like best first. Don't be a dumb-A like me and build a $2000 system around 300 ohm Senns and then listen to Grados for the first time out of an ipod and fall in love!

Goes like this : decide on the headphone (sell the ones you didn't like on Head-fi), build a Soha II amp for $200, buy the best most expensive DAC you can afford. Then start saving for a high end amp. Then maybe buy your fav companies flagship headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back