Spend my money for me
Jan 15, 2007 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TedGamble

Head-Fier
This should give you an idea as to what type of music I like: Legendary rock like Boston (not including the Corporate America CD), Def Leppard, Jeff Healey, and Stevie Ray Vaughn's Rivera Paradise. Also, smooth jazz like Acoustic Alchemy, Najee, and Steve Laury.

I want to spend around $500 to beef up the portable rig. I'm currently using Bose Triport IE earbuds, but I want to move up to cans and an amp.

My portable is a 30 GB 5.5 generation iPod.

Headphone short list:
Grado SR60
AKG K81DJ
Senn HD280 Pro

Amp short list:
RSA Hornet
RSA Tomahawk
Xin SuperMacro (with the 4 switches)

Line Out (from ALO) short list:
Bling Bling Dock
Copper Dock

So, all you experts, please pick one from each category and maybe include a one-liner as to why you recommend a particular unit above the others.

In the interest of sanity, let's not let this one go over around 30 replies.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 11
I've never heard any of them but I go off of what people say around here...

If you like the warm sound of the Bose IE then I would go with the K81DJ's. Everyone says they have a surplus of bass.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Regarding your music tastes, you can't go wrong with Grado. I would try and come up with a little extra cash and go straight for either the HF-1(assuming you can find one) or SR225. If you can't swing that, start with the Alessandro MS-1.

For the amp I'd go with an RSA offering, although I'm not up to date on the Hornet vs. Tomahawk because I don't have a portable rig myself. I had an SR71 in the past, so I'm a bit biased towards Ray's designs. I was very impressed with the sound from the SR71 and the build quality was beyond impressive.

As far as the dock's are concerned, no input here.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 11
Ray Samuels Audio Tomahawk: $295
I have a tomahawk and its amazing! Well worth $500 alone.

Grado SR-225: $150 Used
I used to have SR-225s and they sounded insane with the tomahawk.

AudioLineOut Vampire Dock: $79
Its worth the extra $20 over the plain copper to get the Vampire dock.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels Audio Tomahawk: $295
I have a tomahawk and its amazing! Well worth $500 alone.

Grado SR-225: $150 Used
I used to have SR-225s and they sounded insane with the tomahawk.

AudioLineOut Vampire Dock: $79
Its worth the extra $20 over the plain copper to get the Vampire dock.

Hey Iceroid! If I were you, I'd paint my Tomahawk in Air Force colors and call it an ALCM!!
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 11
According to the choices you provided -->

SR-60: Cause Grado is supposed to be awesome with rock (comfort issues aside).
Hornet M: Cause it has charging capabilities, sounds better than the Tomahawk (according to people who have heard both), has a 3 gain switch to accomodate for higher end cans later on, and you don't have to wait 3 months to get it...not to mention Ray's impeccable customer service.
CopperDock: Cause its more durable than the silver dock and will be able to be transported without worrying about breaking it.

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-60: Cause Grado is supposed to be awesome with rock (comfort issues aside).
Hornet M: Cause it has charging capabilities, sounds better than the Tomahawk (according to people who have heard both), has a 3 gain switch to accomodate for higher end cans later on, and you don't have to wait 3 months to get it...not to mention Ray's impeccable customer service.
CopperDock: Cause its more durable than the silver dock and will be able to be transported without worrying about breaking it.

This combo sounds awesome, and the amp is great for many headphone upgrades along the way. For an extra $15 you can slap bowls on the 60s (my preference). and the copper dock, well I can attest to the copper jenawire version, but it's definitely very forgiving and durable, and sounds great too.

If you can stretch your budget, get SR225s instead of 60s.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back