Speed, Space, Sparkle: AD2000 and SA5000 Compared
Apr 21, 2008 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
The following is a brief comparison between two headphones, which are now officially amongst my "favorite cans" list. As a preface, the equipment used is as follows:
- Marantz SA7001 SACD player
- Apogee Mini-Dac
- Kimber DV-75 coax digital cable

The two 'phones in question are: the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 (stock, with phatpad mod) and the Sony MDR-SA5000 (APS V3 recabled and balanced, with an APS V3 XLR-->SE adaptor cable for single ended use). I will talk about the bass, midrange and high frequencies, and in the midst of these I'll include details of such factors as soundstaging etc.

Bass: the AD2000 has a superb ability in this region, one which I am particularly fond of for its ability to go deep enough for my liking, whilst retaining speed and control. The SA5000 is no slouch either - what was striking to me was how extended the Sony was, and the tautness and tunefulness of top to bottom LF reponse.

The primary difference between the two was that I could follow the lines of the song more with the Sony, its accuracy of tone one may call it. This was particularly apparent in the instrumental passage of Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room when the bass line is accompanied with a range of other instruments. The AD2000 though has more "thwack"; that is - greater impact. Together with this, it has more body (and perhaps warmth)....I could almost feel the reverb of the wood in the passage above.

Midrange: this is where I feel the biggest difference was. It was more a difference in presentation, as opposed to one being "better".

The AD2000 - instruments seem closer, the vocals very upfront, very smooth but not overly bright. Soundstaging is good, if a tad compressed (compressed is a harsh word really - more like reduced instrument separation). It is relatively wide, height is sufficient. I attribute much of this to the very close proximity of the drivers to the ears - even with the phatpads. What it excels in though is attack and bite, without ever approaching harshness (ala RS1).

The SA5000 - a tough one to describe. It was as if the vocals were the same, if not even a bit more upfront, yet the instruments were more distant than with the AT. The Sony has a bit more sparkle....it has an uncanny ability to be quite bright but without a hint of sibilance or sizzle (ala W5000). The instrument seperation is greater, and there is more air between them. Instrument placing is therefore enhanced, and the soundstage is expansive in comparison - wide, deep and high.

High Frequency: detail wise I think the are on-par, but the Sony has a slight edge because the added soundstage size allows that detail to be more easily discernable. I think its transient speed is also a little quicker which adds to this. I would say that it just edges the AT in the ability to dissect the music, but that has negative connotations, and I really mean it in a positive light - perhaps extract is a more appropriate description.

Both are relatively bright compared to many other headphones. Whilst the SA5000 has a bit more sparkle, I foresee that with the wrong equipment it may be a little overcooked for some. The AD2000 on the other hand is warmer in comparison (but by no means syrupy or slow). I think you could call the AD2000 neutral; the Sony cool.

Both, however, are very smooth. They can be sultry too and luxuriously so at that - Rebecca Pidgeon's Raven being a perfect example. I think the AT may lend itself more to that music though with its slightly warmer, call it "romantic" presentation (only in comparison to the Sony - it remains far more neutral than most cans). The intimacy of its vocal presentation backs that up too. The Sony's transparency and crispness may better suit classical and very dynamic music.

Overall: choosing between the two would be very difficult indeed. A lot depends on the type of music listened to, as well as associated equipment, and the factor I think many people tend to miss out - your mood at that particular point in time.

I own the SA5000 and think it is a keeper - especially since I already own a balanced HD650 and think the two provide plenty contrast to each other, whilst being able to - together - cover all of my sonic needs. Had I not had the HD650, things would be different, as I think the AD2000 could be a better all-rounder and may play more nicely with other gear. It would probably also be more forgiving (the SA5000 with a really bad recording is not a pleasant experience!)

In closing: I wanted to extend my warm thanks to musicmind for the great listening session and for bringing along the AT's. It was a very pleasant, intriguing, and highly enjoyable afternoon - in another episode of our series of South African micro-meets (don't get any more micro than two participants
wink.gif
).

I am sure I left some things out, as not notes were taken so the above is from memory
biggrin.gif
. I'll try and answer as many questions as possible.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony has a bit more sparkle....it has an uncanny ability to be quite bright but without a hint of sibilance or sizzle (ala W5000).

Great review, I should probably put SA5000 back in to my "to try" list.
Sorry for questioning this as I don't have first hand experience with SA5000 but based on everything I've read the main difference between W5000 and SA5000 in highs is opposite to what is quoted above. I certainly cannot detect any sibilance or sizzle with W5000. Would be nice to see A/B comparison between two, as for me the main SA5000 detractor was their unbearable brightness and that W5000 already does everything as Sony only in a better and smoother way.

EDIT: Just realized that you might meant that SA5000 is similar to W5000 in that respect.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 33
My initial fear was exactly that - that the SA5000 would be too bright (something which I also cannot stand).

Perhaps it is the balanced operation, perhaps the superb APS V3 cable....but the SA5000 is very pleasant. The W5000 I found could often be piercing and left my ears fatigued (which is one of the reasons I eventually sold them).

It could also have to do with fit - which I did not touch on yet. The W5000 needs to have a perfect fit, and my narrow dome did not match it no matter how much headband squeezing or elastic band mods I applied....the SA5000 is a pleasure on my head, very comfortable, and easily adjustable.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 33
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it, I enjoyed the read.
I am intrigued by the SA5000. They used to be very popular here and highly regarded, but it seems a lot of people have switched to K701 or other newer phones. I am very much a Senn fan, but I'd still like to hear the SA5000 some day.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 33
I have tried the K701, on two different occassions (once recabled). The two factors which detract me from it, and for which I prefer the SA5000, are:
- K701 tended toward being too sterile
- K701 had an immense soundstage, but somehow I did not feel it ever managed to properly fill it. That is, it left me wanting for something less "hollow"/"empty" and somewhat "thin" sounding.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 33
Great read! I compared first the k701 and sa5000, and then the W5000 and the SA5000 after selling the AKG's. I pretty much agree with most of what you have said.

The Sony's did so much of what the K701's did, but with more impact, speed and excitement. However the K701's sounded more natural and had a more open and airy sound. Still I sold the AKG's because they just uninvolving in comparison.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 33
I had both the AD2000 and a pair of Black Dragon K701.
I prefered the K701 over the AD2000, but they are both gone now.
The K701 was just too lifeless compared to most (all) other phones I have.
The AD2000 I found to be a bit too much of everything. Made a bit too much of a spectacle of every piece of music. And it did something weird with positioning. It placed everything far apart in the soundstage, when they were supposed to be much closer together. Like the singer of the band was right up in your face, with a three feet wide mouth and the guitar player 30 feet to the left and 7 feet up in the air... I never experienced anything as extreme as that with any other headphones.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 33
Kees,
I dont hear the extreme soundstage you describe the ad2000s to have out of an ipod
biggrin.gif
Maybe they need more modest gear than what you had to shine hahaha I dont know. Anyway thats weird

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kees,
I dont hear the extreme soundstage you describe the ad2000s to have out of an ipod
biggrin.gif
Maybe they need more modest gear than what you had to shine hahaha I dont know. Anyway thats weird

I didn't want to say that they were bad, their tonal qualities are very good for example, but these were things that bugged me, and when things bug me they tend to grow more prominent than they actually are. Someone else might just not notice or not mind it at all.
I know there are obvious faults in other headphones I have and I don't mind them at all, just because I like the over all "feel" of them.
I'm not terribly objective I'm afraid...

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 33
Thanks for the review. I've heard alot of lower sonys and hated their dead sound but head-fi has taught me to be openminded about the SA5k. I love my AD2000s but must admit I couldn't really disagree with anything you wrote about them. Very fair evaluation. Just to add some more info; I'll stick with my ad2000s for their excellent coherence across the freq range, transparency, musicality and formidable mid-range awesomeness.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 33
I wanted to bump this thread and ask for anyone else's opinion or comparison between these two headphones (the listening session I had was not very long and a distant memory now
tongue.gif
).

I am strongly considering parterning the two, but wonder if the AD2000 may perhaps be too similar to the SA5000? They would be used with a neutral to warm source, and a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back