Speed of Electricity in a Cable
May 20, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 52
Sigh, yet more utter nonsense.

The electric field creates the force that gets the electrons moving; the flow of electrons is electricity. Honestly, this is basic stuff any 9th grader would know.

Someone needs to teach this guy that adding exclamation points to doesn't achemically turn BS into science.
http://amasci.com/miscon/whatis.html
You really shouldn't be arguing about what electricity is if the last time you learned about it was 40 years ago in high school. People who actually has to deal with electricity usually mean the electromagnetic field by "electricity". Your overly simplistic "flow of electron" definition is actually the literal high school level definition of it. If you follow through the link I gave to you, you might understand why this definition is incorrect and would lead to contradictions.

Ghoostknight had this (extremely common, I give him that) misconception about electricity. If you understand electricity as just electrons moving from one point to an other one really fast, like a "flow of electrons", it doesn't give an explanation of why AC is dangerous. If you understand it as an electromagnetic field then suddenly it's more obvious why AC is dangerous.

May 20, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #47 of 52
Audiophools always think of electricity in terms of spigots and hoses full of water. It's not a good analogy, but they grip onto it firmly with both hands.

May 20, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #49 of 52
http://amasci.com/miscon/whatis.html
You really shouldn't be arguing about what electricity is if the last time you learned about it was 40 years ago in high school. People who actually has to deal with electricity usually mean the electromagnetic field by "electricity". Your overly simplistic "flow of electron" definition is actually the literal high school level definition of it. If you follow through the link I gave to you, you might understand why this definition is incorrect and would lead to contradictions.

Ghoostknight had this (extremely common, I give him that) misconception about electricity. If you understand electricity as just electrons moving from one point to an other one really fast, like a "flow of electrons", it doesn't give an explanation of why AC is dangerous. If you understand it as an electromagnetic field then suddenly it's more obvious why AC is dangerous.

On our first day in the second year of Electronic/Mechanical Engineering our professor looked at us and said “forget everything you learned and understand from last year”, (or words to that effect) he wasn’t wrong………I developed a stress headache for the first few months and started grinding my teeth whilst asleep so had to wear a guard, I eventually cracked a molar.

I should’ve studied Art/Classics/English Literature or something easy as we never had free time.

25 years later I’m still unsure if I “actually” understand it or whether I “know enough” to get by without killing myself :smile:

May 20, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #50 of 52
Try “knowing enough” in art! That isn’t easy either.

May 20, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #51 of 52
Try “knowing enough” in art! That isn’t easy either.

Yeah, but not knowing expressionism from realism isn’t going to kill you…….unless you have particularly vicious tutor :wink:

May 20, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #52 of 52
Yeah... it's more than knowing though. It's being able to *do* good enough that someone is willing to pay you for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• DJTJ
Back