Specing Out and Office System
Oct 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Black-Six

New Head-Fier
Hi there; I've been lurking here for a little bit, doing some research and such, but I thought some input from others would be helpful. Also, apologies if this isn't the best place for this topic, I looked around and couldn't find a spot that seemed better.

So I recently got out of school and entered the real world. My job has some rather restrictive policies due to the sensitive nature of the work, which means I can't bring in a wide array of electronic devices, including cell phones, computers, and USB drives or hard disks. That last bit of course includes DAPs, which puts me in a bind. We are, however, allowed to have radios/CD players, so that's a relief.

I'm trying to find a decent CD player I can bring in and hook up a decent set of closed headphones too, possibly with an amp but probably not right away. I'd ideally like something that can play MP3 CDs too, just so I don't have to be changing discs all day. I've looked at some dedicated components, but many don't seem to support MP3s. I've mainly been focusing on mini-systems or similar sized components, such as the Sony CMT-BX20i, Sharp XL-DH259N, Yamaha CRX-330, or the Denon D-M38. The higher-end ones do seem kind of expensive for something that's just going to be used at work, but I do spend a lot of time there, and it is noisy, so being able to drown that out would be nice. I've also considered a PCDP, but there don't seem to be many options for those on the market these days.

I'm open to any and all advice on what types of components I should be looking for and recommendations on particular models.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm in a similar position as you, I'm looking to replace an aging Sony shelf system in my home office with something newer and nicer. I've heard a lot of good about the Denon system and am leaning towards getting one, but haven't found any really detailed reviews anywhere about it (I'm looking for opinions on how decent the headphone circuit is, for example). Hopefully someone here who owns one can chime in?

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been looking around some more, any you're right, not many people have anything to say about these systems, unfortunately. I almost feel like I'd be better off getting an older PCDP after all, or some other older CD player.

Anyone have any input or suggestions in that area?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back