Specifically about the fit of IE7 v IE8
Jun 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

willw

100+ Head-Fier
(I have searched and can't find this specific problem dealt with here)

Well, it's been five days of trying to get the fit/sound combination right with my IE7s. I have found that the perfect tip for best sound is the large supplied silicon, but I really have to JAM and TWIST to get them to grip. The large supplied duals will stay in place better, but an awful lot of the bass vanishes, although the higher frequencies come forward - a little too much perhaps. And they're uncomfortable to wear for long. I'm hoping the hybrid sony tips will arrive very soon, but am suspicious that even if they fit better they will have a similar effect on the sound. It aint just the seal - the type of tip has a significant effect on the overall sound signature.
My ears are now so sore from jamming these phones in place that I'm wondering whether the IE8 is easier to fit. I notice that it doesn't have that long pointed bit, which stabs my poor ears to buggery. And it seems, from the pictures I've been able to find, that perhaps the stem protrudes a tad further with the body slanting back from its base more than the IE7? This could be wishful thinking. Can anyone with experience of both advise please?
I don't want to wring the difference out of my poor pillaged wallet, but I DO want this gorgeous Senn IE sound, so will if I have to. (I've read a lot of the stuff here about the IE8 and have concluded it's the IE7 but more so. Great!)
Alas my ears will be shredded if I carry on with the stock tips of the iE7. Don't suggest foam tips - none of the stock ones work for me. They don't stay in my ears and if I hold them in to listen they turn the sound to porridge. I hate foam tips.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Click on the Clicky in my sig, that ultra-deluxe-tip-burger means your IE7's pointy bit won't
touch your ear. You don't jam those in either for best sound.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 12
You might be happy once the Sony Hybrids come in. For me, the large Sony Hybrid probably offers the best comfort and fit on my IE8. Right now I am using regular Sony silicone tips with de-cored Comply tips underneath. I feel the slightly larger opening has just a little bigger soundstage compared to the hybrids. I have not tried decay's new fangled tip but will give it a shot in the next day or two.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 12
i had the same prob to begin with. 2 things fixed everything for me.

1 the tips in my sig, they are just amazing fit me perfectly and super soft.

2 relise that they dont need shoved in deep. let the bi flange tips in my sig sit comfortably at the natural narrowing of them where the two flanges meet. boom super comfy and spectacular soundstage. it lowers tha bass a little but that was fine by me. i never got along with the senn tips and kept trying to shove them in deep. dont, a seal is no use its it horribly uncomfortable

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Those ebay ones are what I'm waiting for, but having experimented with the stock dual flanges I do wonder about the effect on the sound. I ordered the ebay ones because they do look a bit longer and shouldn't need jammimg in to seal. I really don't want to lose any bass.

Decay - I appreciate the effort you've put into your custom super-tips, but I want to keep it minimal. Also the IE7 doesn't come with the same range of tips.

What I'm trying to establish is whether the body of the IE8 is less intrusive in the ear than that of the IE7. It lacks the sharp bit I know, but does it slant away more from the stem, allowing slightly easier insertion of the tip without the body of the thing jamming up against the ear and not allowing the tip to get in close enough. (Always a chance of course that my lugholes are just a funny shape.....)

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I've owned both IE7s and 8s and tried Comply T-400s, the eBay bi-flanges, and most of the stock tips. The best SQ and fit (for me) is the large stock silicon.

As far as bodies are concerned, I much prefer the IE7s fit. I'm able to sleep on a pillow on my side with them and not feel like they're gonna poke through my eardrum. I couldn't get comfortable using the 8s that way.

The 'sharp bit' on the body of the 7s don't bother my ears one bit. I like the fact that I can use the point as a visual cue when inserting them for left and right ear.

On the 8s I used the bass adjustment screw for the same purpose but the screws aren't as easy to see in the dark and my fingertips weren't sensitive enough to feel them.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks - good to have a view from someone familiar with both IE7 & IE8.
The pointy bit only bothers me after so much shoving and grinding trying get the tips to wedge in place - I can see they're comfortable when in place.
The lying down thing doesn't worry me - if I listen lying down I'm lying on my back.

I'm really trying to figure whether the body of the IE8 is less "in the way" than that of the IE7, which is what prevents me from getting the tips in close enough to grip. The IE8 LOOKS like the body slants back better from the base of the stem, allowing the stem/tip to reach just that fraction further in to get a grip. Is that the case?

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 12
I really can't tell any difference in the way the large silicon tips fit depth wize using either the IE7 or 8s.

Some IE8 owners are suggesting to NOT wedge them deep into your ears to get the best sound from them.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks Koui. I'm still waiting for the new tips to arrive, which may put all this to rest of course.
It's not that I'm trying to wedge them deep in - a light seal is all that's required I've found, but they still need to stay in place without me having to hold them in....!! I was hoping the IE8 might have a slightly longer reach - a very slight difference will do it.

If the new tips don't work soundwise, I may well try the IE8 to see if it works better for me. I really love the sound of these Senns and don't want to have to try to find its equivalent elsewhere.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Trouble is, they did fall right out. Turns out that matt finish tips fall out, but shiny ones stay in!

Thanks for your input Mark, again. My Ebay tips not yet here, but looking forward to comparing them with ..... BUT, see my update to this on the IE7 Apreciation thread for the full story.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Try turning the tips inside out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back