Specific (sound) question to owners of both NWZ-A8**/S6** and new series Walkmans
May 4, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

n1n9tean

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm hoping you can answer my question and help me to decide whether I should get another NWZ-A818 (which I had at one point and absolutely LOVED) or if I should get a NWZ-A728 (which I don't really see any advancment in other than maybe design).

So, on to the question. When I had my NWZ-A818 I had the normalizer enabled because it kept my volume levels steady across my music and made everything sound better because of it. BUT, the normalizer also caused something to happen that annoyed me a bit (but not enough to make me love that beautiful sound quality any less). On certain parts of a song where it might intentionally get a little more quiet, fade in or fade out; the normalizer would make that part mmore quiet than it should be. Say there's a song where the music settles down while the singer talks in a low voice. Well with the normalizer enabled, I'd barely hear the person talking and then if the music kicked up for a very breif secon (like maybe a drum beat or something) the volume would raise all together, I could also hear the person more loudly and clearly for that very breif instance and then it would go back down again.

I hear here and there about how the new Walkmans sound EXACTLY like the NWZ-A8// and NWZ-S6// (which is odd because I remember hearing about how Sony said they would sound even better). So, I've been wondering if the new Walkmans still have this problem. Do they?

If they do, then I'm just going to go ahead and get another NWZ-A818 (I loved it's size, anyhow). If they don't then I'll go ahead and grab a NWZ-A728. Your responses are appreciated in advance! Thanks.

May 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 8
i don't think the normalizer on that thing is the best idea to use. i have the s615 from japan and keep basiclaly all the effects off. normalizers depending on the hardware and software are more often rubbish than not. if you really want to do that, you could use aacgain to normalise properly all your files to like 90db or so but im sure sony just compresses the highs and lows or something like that. not lossless at all

May 5, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 8
I've used the normalizer off and on, and I don't think that's your problem. Instead, check to see whether you have the TRUBass (or whatever it's called) enabled in your equalizer; that causes some pretty serious volume adjustments based on how much bass is being output at the time. As the bass goes up, the overall volume (primarily the mids and highs) goes down, all dynamically. Turn off TruBASS and you should have perfectly stable music again.

It's a compromise, and certainly something everyone should be aware of when judging how good the Sonys sound. I love my A818, but only because I don't notice the constant volume changing with my iGrados (for whatever reason). If you notice it, and don't want to give up the TRUBass setting, you might be better off with another player; there's no fix in sight.

Check out the big thread for more info.

May 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 8
So can you guys confirm that the new series does the same thing?

I don't have any MP3 player at all at the moment. I used to have the NWZ-A818. That's how I know about the issue. But, if the new series also does this then I will still just go ahead and get the NWZ-A818 because I can get it for cheaper.

Design is not a big factor for me because I like the design of the NWZ-A818 and the NWZ-A728 looks pretty nice, aswell. So, it's all about the sound quality and wheather I could get around this problem by getting one of the new series Walkmans. Thanks.

May 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1n9tean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can you guys confirm that the new series does the same thing?

I don't have any MP3 player at all at the moment. I used to have the NWZ-A818. That's how I know about the issue. But, if the new series also does this then I will still just go ahead and get the NWZ-A818 because I can get it for cheaper.

Design is not a big factor for me because I like the design of the NWZ-A818 and the NWZ-A728 looks pretty nice, aswell. So, it's all about the sound quality and wheather I could get around this problem by getting one of the new series Walkmans. Thanks.

Yes, the new player does the same thing, I auditioned two of them in a Sony store

May 6, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Yep, clearbass does affect the mids and highs, therefore, if you have a warm IEM then keep clearbass OFF, which is what I do with my future sonics IEMs. If you are using a bright IEM, then it shouldn't make a huge difference, e.g. clearbass @ max setting with ER-6i will sound good and calm the highs down a bit YMMV.

May 7, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 8
The normaliser is useful outside, I find. Inside not so good. I guess it depends on the isolation you get with the phones you are using. I'm just using the stock ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back