Specific Question Regarding Contact Lenses
Jul 15, 2007 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know anyone in person who wears contacts, sorry, so I can't've asked this of someone I know personally.
frown.gif

Anyway, one of the things that I hate about my glasses is that, when another person looks at me and sees my eyes through my lenses, or whenever a photograph is taken at a similar angle, the refraction-effect of the lenses causes my eyes to appear diminished in size to the viewer. Do you understand? When looking through my glasses from the outside inwards, there's a dramatic shrinking effect - so my eyes look little and beady and squinty.

With contact lenses, since the lens sits upon the eye itself, will this effect be negated totally? Please - input only from people who have worn glasses and contacts and know exactly what I'm talking about!

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, yes! If you are not wearing glasses, then the light will not refract through the lens to create the "smaller eyes" effect you describe. With contacts, your eyes will appear as their normal size to others.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yes! If you are not wearing glasses, then the light will not refract through the lens to create the "smaller eyes" effect you describe. With contacts, your eyes will appear as their normal size to others.

x2. I've worn contacts, and my wife has currently has contacts. Your eyes look perfectly normal.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 18
Unless they take a closeup shot of your iris, everything will look fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 18
x5, you'll look as handsome as the devil in your photos!

But, with a nickname like "crazyface", results may very
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The contacts only cover the pupils anyway. And yes, everything you see will be a little bigger too.

It depends. Soft lenses cover the entire iris (and actually a little bit more too). Hard lenses are smaller.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Jul 17, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 18
x7

I've been wearing contacts for a few years now and yes your eyes won't suffer from that effect!

If you want bigger eyes you can always wear glasses for someone who has long distance sight :p

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 18
I wore contacts for a few years following eye surgery. The only problem I had was I couldn't look up!

...thank goodness hard plastic lenses went away soon after the 50s!

My Wife and kids wore them from time to time over the years, and they looked just fine!

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Crazyface,

The minification effect of glasses is caused by the distance your lenses sit from your eye. The closer the lenses move to your eye, the less minification will be noticible. With contacts this effect is minimal. People who are significantly farsighted who wear glasses notice that their eyes look unnaturally big because their lenses magnify.

The interesting thing is that when you wear glasses, the world is made artificially small by looking through nearsighted glasses. Most people aren't even aware of it, but when you switch to contacts, things actually start to look bigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back