Specific quest for sound and comfort
Jan 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

koprol

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Not new to the site but new member.

I have a Sennheiser hd-580 for some 15 odd years now. I want a closed headphone (4 kids in the same house while I have to work) and sought the internet. I bought the Audio technica M50x last week but I'm going to return it. The sound I like very much, but not the comfort. The cushions are to small and touch my ears. This makes them irritated. When I put the hd580 on right after the m50x there is an almost audioble "aahhhhh" from the skin of my ears. I think the material (fake leather) is part of the problem.
I listen to music on my macbook pro, iPhone and Musical Fidelity x-cans headphone amp.

So, I'm seeking for a headphone with the following properties, in random order:
- Closed headphone
- excellent sound like the hd580/m50x , on the neutral side not bass heavy.
- not a ridicolous impedance
- large ear cups, so over ear
- velvet (?) material ear cups
- price range of the m50x. So around the €150 ($150?)
- I would like to try before I buy so availability is prefered.

Do you know what I'm looking for (except a closed version of the hd580)?

Thanks a lot!

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 18

So, I'm seeking for a headphone with the following properties, in random order:
- excellent sound like the hd580/m50x , on the neutral side not bass heavy.
- not a ridicolous impedance
- large ear cups
- velvet (?) material ear cups
- price range of the m50x. So around the €150 ($150?)
- I would like to try before I buy so availability is prefered.

Do you know what I'm looking for (except a closed version of the hd580)?

Other than being able to try it before buying, look into the Brainwavz HM5 online.

Or look up how to mount the HM5 angled earpads onto the M50. I'm tethering off slow mobile internet right now so I can't check but I'm sure I came across it somewhere here.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 18
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I need over ear headphones so my ears do not (or as little as possible) touch the headphone cushions. The B&W p5 is on ear. I tried the P5 at a show and before hearing the thing, it was already a no-go.

The Sennheiser Momentum might be a good one but it is rather more expensive than the Audio Technica m50x. 150 euro to 299 euro for the wired version so twice the price.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Stick to HD 598 SE or HD 598. You'll like them I guess.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm so stupid. I meant that it must be a closed back headphone. The 598 cs is closed, right? Is the size of the 598 comparable with the sd580 and sd650?

If you mean the HD580 and HD650, yes. It's virtually the same earpad dimensions. The old HD598 was more like a different color than the HD580/600/650 pads than anything else.

Just checked now and the price has gone down to $115 on Amazon - that price is hard to beat now if you're looking for good closed headphones.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 18

If you mean the HD580 and HD650, yes. It's virtually the same earpad dimensions. The old HD598 was more like a different color than the HD580/600/650 pads than anything else.

Just checked now and the price has gone down to $115 on Amazon - that price is hard to beat now if you're looking for good closed headphones.

$115 for the old of new version??? Over here it's at least 230 euro (more than $230). Sometimes it sucks to be in Europe...

But the 598 is an open headphone? The 598 cs is a closed one?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 18
$115 for the old of new version??? 

I wasn't aware of a new version apart from the new HD5-- line.

But the 598 is an open headphone? The 598 cs is a closed one?

HD598 is the original version, open back. HD598CS came out more recently and has sealed ear cups.

Over here it's at least 230 euro (more than $230). Sometimes it sucks to be in Europe...

Well for many of us elsewhere we got to say "hey at least you're not complaining about being surrounded by idiots," but then again, LePen et al are on the rise right now so there's going to be a lot less upside to Europe.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 18
Yes, indeed/ Now Trump is there, everything is possible.

But the 598 is not available anymore, the 598cs is and costs 230+ euro. So it is quite a lot more than the Audio technica m50x.

Is the cheaper Sennheiser 569 closed back headphone any good? It's the same size of the 598 I think. Still 179 euro.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 18
what about the DT770's they are pretty comfortable indeed...and have pretty good sized ear cups.. I find mine quite good, build quality is also very good.. mine are over 4yrs old now.

I have the M50's I found the stock ear pads not so good.. I tried the HM5 ear pads.. but I felt they have too much negative impact on the sound making everything sound far away and they made the clamping force worse for me also.. I put Shure 840 ear pads on mine.. some have put the 940 velour pads on their m50's  the shure pads fit a bit loose but well enough that it isn't an issue for me at least.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 18
  what about the DT770's they are pretty comfortable indeed...and have pretty good sized ear cups.. I find mine quite good, build quality is also very good.. mine are over 4yrs old now.

I have the M50's I found the stock ear pads not so good.. I tried the HM5 ear pads.. but I felt they have too much negative impact on the sound making everything sound far away and they made the clamping force worse for me also.. I put Shure 840 ear pads on mine.. some have put the 940 velour pads on their m50's  the shure pads fit a bit loose but well enough that it isn't an issue for me at least.

The Beyerdynamic dt770. I can look into that one.

I don't want an headphone that has to be tweaked right out of the box. How hard can it be to have a headphone that is just right? (I'm likely to eat my own words in a couple of months...)

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 18

The Beyerdynamic dt770. I can look into that one.

I don't want an headphone that has to be tweaked right out of the box. How hard can it be to have a headphone that is just right? (I'm likely to eat my own words in a couple of months...)

kewl... I think if you liked the M50's you'll like the DT770's they sound pretty similar ..but I think the DT770's sound a bit better and they certainly are more comfortable..  The Pro 80's do need an amp however ... but that x-cans amp should be more than up to the task.

I end up using my M50's a lot and I like them.. but every time I take them with me on a trip ...I think..man I wish the DT770's were a bit more portable =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back