Specific Open/Semi-Open Headphone Recommendation
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 31
I forgot to ask, would I get away with not amping the k612s if I were to opt for them?

Maybe ...

In my experience, the need for an amp is often overstated: I've got a Sennheisr HD600 and a Beyer DT880 (250 Ohm) and both sound fine straight out of a portable player with no additional amping. I'm sure amping them improves the sound a bit, but it's not essential to enjoying them.

However, the K601, when I had it, was one of two headphones that I felt *did* sound quite a bit better when amped (the other was a DT880 600 Ohm).

It wasn't totally terrible un-amped, and some music sounded fine, but listening to recordings with a wide dynamic range didn't sound great - the bass would distort or sound 'farty' and the highs would sound 'wrong'. When I plugged them in to my little FiiO portable amp, or the headphone out of my hifi separates amp, they sounded better.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 31
I see. I read that the k601/k612 are quite demanding so I think that I'll probably go with something else. My plan at the moment is probably to get a superlux headphone then a good amp/dac and then better headphones (perhaps the k612) if I think it's needed.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 31
I have the Takstar 2050s. I find them more comfortable than the MS1, and they're over ear, rather than on-ear, but the MS1 seem to suit what you're after a little better. Also, I find the MS1 easier to drive. The Takstars also seem to be prone to some sibilance at times.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 31
Yeah...now I feel guilty, because I actually own too many headphones (purchasing binge when I first found Head-Fi about 9 months ago)....I might as well confess to owning the Superlux 668b on top of it all. I purchased both the Takstar and the Superlux while I was in China (was significantly cheaper). 

I don't think the Superlux can compare to the MS1 in terms of sound, but it's a nice all-rounder...quite a nice open backed headphone, and I'd rate it above the Takstar, but it still doesn't get much use. I'm currently deciding on whether or not I should sell it...

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #21 of 31
Do you by any chance have any experience with the HD681F? Also, in what ways is the MS1 superior in sound, is it the transparency/clarity of the sound? I personally find it frustrating not living in the U.S when it comes to electronics in general. If I were to buy an MS1/i/e I'd have to pay customs on top of it too and that's also why I'm a bit discouraged..

I think that I'm probably set in getting a superlux headphone for the moment, just deciding which one at this point.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 31
Nope, sorry, haven't heard or owned the 681F, I had to decide between the 668b and 681F, and after reading many reviews and comments, settled on the 668b. I find the MS1 to be superior in almost every single way - apart from soundstage and comfort. 

How would I describe it...the music is more intimate sounding with the MS1, and I enjoy female vocals, well vocals in general more with the MS1. I did a little side by side comparison earlier today, and that was my conclusion. I only listened to female vocals though, no alt rock, and so on. I have enjoyed the MS1 with rock in the past, and not so much with the 668bs. 

I live in Australia, so I kind of understand how you feel about having to import everything or wait it out for a good deal.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 31
It depends on whether you want to wait or not....the Superlux is a great headphone, I just have too many and can't really justify keeping mine.

I prefer the MS1, but that's my personal preference. I don't know when the MS...e is coming out, but if you don't want to wait, I'd just get the MSi, I dobt the new edition will sound drastically better anyway.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 31
Right, I think that I'll just decide whether I will wait or not and make my purchase based on that.

Are there any other headphones you've owned which you think might suit me?

Also the alessandro ms1i is roughly around the same price as an Sr80i oor maybe slightly more(when taking into account import tax). Would you say it's still a good deal? If it weren't for the tax it'd be at a similar price to the Sr60i.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #26 of 31
Here are some comparisons/opinions between the SR80i and the MS1i: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573981/grado-sr80i-vs-alessandro-ms1i-a-review

As far as I can tell, many people compare it to the SR125i in the Grado lineup, and I prefer my MS1 to my SR225 (treble is a little TOO overpowering). I think that the MS1 is priced quite reasonably, especially if you compare it to the regular Grado lineup. 

To be honest, I also quite enjoy my Yamaha HPH-200 (I find them underrated). The bass is punchier than my Alessandro MS1, but it's a little less engaging in comparison, the treble is nicer for the MS1, and a larger soundstage for the Yamaha. I got mine on special, so I have no idea how much they're going for elsewhere...I think a Head-Fi member was selling a pair in Europe earlier for around 60 euros. It's also lighter and more portable, but feels cheaper as well.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 31
Right, I think that I'll just decide whether I will wait or not and make my purchase based on that.

Are there any other headphones you've owned which you think might suit me?

Also the alessandro ms1i is roughly around the same price as an Sr80i oor maybe slightly more(when taking into account import tax). Would you say it's still a good deal? If it weren't for the tax it'd be at a similar price to the Sr60i.

Also be prepared to pay a 'handling fee' to Royal Mail which they charge you when collecting the import taxes (they pay the tax on your behalf and get it back from you, I think, and charge an admin fee for this service)

Plus there's a delivery fee of $15 for shipping outside the US.

So I'd estimate total price of an MS1i these days as $125 (£73)  + 20% VAT + approx £10 handling fee = £95 - £100

It's arguably a better headphone than the SR80i, but there's not a huge difference.

If you're not sure you will like the sound, a safer option might be to buy an SR60i/80i from Amazon and then you can return it if unhappy.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 31
  Here are some comparisons/opinions between the SR80i and the MS1i: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573981/grado-sr80i-vs-alessandro-ms1i-a-review

As far as I can tell, many people compare it to the SR125i in the Grado lineup, and I prefer my MS1 to my SR225 (treble is a little TOO overpowering). I think that the MS1 is priced quite reasonably, especially if you compare it to the regular Grado lineup. 

To be honest, I also quite enjoy my Yamaha HPH-200 (I find them underrated). The bass is punchier than my Alessandro MS1, but it's a little less engaging in comparison, the treble is nicer for the MS1, and a larger soundstage for the Yamaha. I got mine on special, so I have no idea how much they're going for elsewhere...I think a Head-Fi member was selling a pair in Europe earlier for around 60 euros. It's also lighter and more portable, but feels cheaper as well.

Thanks for sharing the link with the differences between the two. I have also looked into the HPH-200s, there seems to be a lack of information on these headphones relative to others. At the moment they're between the SR60is and SR80is in terms of price on Amazon. I can't seem to find the european head-fier selling a pair in the trading section of the forum. I can actually get the MT220 (closed back headphones) for around £80 via amazon warehouse deals (used) which is cheaper than an SR80i. Though they are an entirely different headphone altogether and not really comparable to the grados/hph-200s. 

Also be prepared to pay a 'handling fee' to Royal Mail which they charge you when collecting the import taxes (they pay the tax on your behalf and get it back from you, I think, and charge an admin fee for this service)

Plus there's a delivery fee of $15 for shipping outside the US.

So I'd estimate total price of an MS1i these days as $125 (£73)  + 20% VAT + approx £10 handling fee = £95 - £100

It's arguably a better headphone than the SR80i, but there's not a huge difference.

If you're not sure you will like the sound, a safer option might be to buy an SR60i/80i from Amazon and then you can return it if unhappy.

Thanks for letting me know about this as I wouldn't have known otherwise! So when one orders to the U.K from the U.S do they drop it off at your local post office for you to pay for the 20% VAT and handling fee? I'm not too sure how this works? 

I also think that you're comment regarding opting for the SR60/80i because I could return them (with a lot more ease relative to the alessandros) is a strong point. I think for now I'm going to wait it out and see if the SR60/80e is an improvement over its predecessors. 

Overall, I think I'm quite settled with getting an alessandro/grado headphone after receiving both (sinnottj and nonsensical) of your recommendations that this is the way to go for my musical preferences and sources. I don't think there's much point in purchasing something at the moment such as the superlux cans if I know I'll be buying another set of headphones later, and this money can be used to go towards a DAC/amp.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 31
  Thanks for letting me know about this as I wouldn't have known otherwise! So when one orders to the U.K from the U.S do they drop it off at your local post office for you to pay for the 20% VAT and handling fee? I'm not too sure how this works? 

When i bought my MS1i I was sent a card by Royal Mail saying they had a parcel of mine but there were some import charges to pay, and gave me a number to call. I then payed the charge over the phone.  The parcel was delivered a few days later.

This was a couple of years ago, so the process may be different now of course!

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 31

When i bought my MS1i I was sent a card by Royal Mail saying they had a parcel of mine but there were some import charges to pay, and gave me a number to call. I then payed the charge over the phone.  The parcel was delivered a few days later.

This was a couple of years ago, so the process may be different now of course!

I assume it will probably be the same/similar. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back