Specific Open/Semi-Open Headphone Recommendation
Jun 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

InsaneApe

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I'm currently looking for an open/semi-open headphone to have good synergy with my UE6000s. By synergy I mean cover my UE6000s weaknesses. I find them to be somewhat too warm and the vocals/mids don't seem too clear. 

The music I enjoy listening to is ambient, acoustic, alternative rock and all these genres and more with soft female vocals. At the moment, my source is a PC (z77 motherboard) and a HTC One. In the near future I may purchase a cheap amplifier like a Fiio E6, any suggestions on this would be recommended too! 

My budget is around £50-60 (I'm from the U.K) but I'd like to emphasise I'm looking for best value for money so anything lower or higher which you think would be justified I'd definitely consider. 

I'm looking for over-ear or a good on-ear headphone. I've been looking at the Superlux (whole range in general but more specifically) HD 330, HD 660, HD668B, the Grado SR-60e, KRK KNS 6400 (perhaps the 8400) and the Jaycar Pro (HM5/FA-003/NPT1000 clone). I know the KRKs and the Jaycars are not open headphones but I have heard that they do have good soundstage and open-like properties for the price.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 31
I've been lurking around for some time - I would suggest the Alessandro MS1 if you can stretch your budget a little. I find the Grados to be a little too bright, the MS1 is a nice compromise, but also brings out female vocals quite nicely. I suggest you look up some more reviews on it and maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

P.S. I own both the Alessandro MS1 and a pair of Grado SR225s (which I plan on selling), and to be fair, I haven't given the Grados much of an opportunity, since they were just much brighter than I had expected, and I only managed to listen for 2 hours.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking at the MS1i and grados too but with the release of the new e series I was wondering whether or not I should wait and see the reviews for those. Any idea if there will be new alessandro models for the recently released e series?

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 31
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking at the MS1i and grados too but with the release of the new e series I was wondering whether or not I should wait and see the reviews for those. Any idea if there will be new alessandro models for the recently released e series?

Almost certainly - Grado make the Alessandro headphones, and I can't see them continuing with the old versions.

I can also recommend the MS1i (or any Grado) for your preferred music genres, and they are fantasically open sounding.  Grados are overpriced in this country, but you can get some decent deals if you buy used. If you use the L Cushion pads, the difference between the lower-end Grados and the higher end models is not very large at all (I've tried MS1i, 225i, 325is, RS2, RS1i).

(Also, if it's any use I had the Jaycars a while back but didn't like them at all. They do have a good soundstage, but also have a very closed, 'cave like' quality that I hated.)

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 31
I'll probably be doing that pbui, thanks for your help!

I'll probably wait for the ms1e as I think they'd really suit me. Also the ms1i currently including delivery costs less than an Sr80i (though I'm not taking into account customs) so I think the pricing is pretty good. Thanks for that comment on the jaycars, a lot of people recommend them somewhat blindly I find and I'll be taking them off my list of considered choices.

Would the k612 pros be a good choice too? I can get them for around £100.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 31
I've also looked at the fostex TH-7BB but I find it hard to find info on these headphones. I read that the previous version had a dark background which would be good for ambient/atmospheric music.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 31
I'll probably be doing that pbui, thanks for your help!

I'll probably wait for the ms1e as I think they'd really suit me. Also the ms1i currently including delivery costs less than an Sr80i (though I'm not taking into account customs) so I think the pricing is pretty good. Thanks for that comment on the jaycars, a lot of people recommend them somewhat blindly I find and I'll be taking them off my list of considered choices.

Would the k612 pros be a good choice too? I can get them for around £100.

The jaycars where my second purchase after joining Head-Fi (they were 'flavour of the month' at the time) and I sold them on pretty quickly!  My first purchase were the MS1i, and I still have them 3 years later 
smile.gif

The K612 Pro are a fantastic headphone (I used to have a K601, which were the previous version but they sound pretty much the same, I believe)  They have a very natural & musical sound and I found them extremely comfortable to wear. Extremely good value at that price.

They are also great with your kind of music, but have a much larger soundstage & quite a different presentation when compared with the MS1i. Think sitting in the audience (K612 pro) vs being onstage with the band (MS1i)

They need amping to sound their best though. (Nothing too serious required, though - I ran my K601 from a FiiO E10)

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 31
I appreciate the comparison you gave on the ms1s and the k612s! Do you have any experience with superlux headphones?

I've also been looking at the HD681F as an option as I've read that it doesn't have the piercing highs that some can't cope with on the HD681.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back