Specific IEM upgrade advice ~$150
Jul 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

awberke

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Denon 551 but the left earphone just went dead on me the other day and unfortunately i bought them on ebay so they will not replace them i believe.

I know there are alot of threads like this but i'll try to be specific and provide my own input.

I'm looking for:

-Over the ear design (I hate having the 'phones pull out and i hate cable noise)
-Not too concerned about aesthetics
-I use/prefer the medium sized rubber tips (medium ear canals)
-I listen to almost all hip/hop, so good bass is a must

I've used: all of which have broken under 1 year (i use my 'phones alot)

-Sennheiser C300
-Shure e2c
-Denon C551K

Ideas:

-Victor FX500 (I used my Denons over the ear, can these be used that way?)
-Etymotic HF2/HF5
-Phonak Audeo PFE
-Klipsch Custom 3
-Klipsch Image S4/S4i (anyone know when the headset comes out?)

Throw out any you think would work, i just made a list to give an idea of what i think.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 6
FX500's are perfect for you in my opinion. They do work over the ear. I get the best fit with them over the ear. I would also pick up a pack of Comply foams (T400)to try with the FX500's. I find them to be much better than the included tips.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 6
You really can't go wrong with these. They're worth every penny and MORE. Glad they aren't more tho'.

If you want the high resolution coupled with smooth, deep bass, and ultimate in musicality and non-dischordant harmonics, then the HP-FX500 is a good pick. Especially of this lot.

I like the COMPLY tips with them, I although prefer the Sony Hybrid Silicone Tips to the COMPLY tips... and some folks are saying lots of good stuff about the KOSS Earcushions for the KOSS KE29S... The Earcushions are the cheapest tips to try first at only $5.00 a pack, then the SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips, which can be found on eBay for about $8.00, then the COMPLY T-400 which cost a bit more...

Next up from your idea pool that I have tried, and wouldn't consider a blunder in any way shape or form (but definitely would pick the HP-FX500 first, they're just on a plane above) are the Phonak Audeo PFE... They're excellent IEM's...

I prefer them amped. With black filters, and just decided I prefer them with the COMPLY P-Series Foam tip. REAL BIG Improvement over the other tips I've tried. I've used the Phonak Medium Silicone Tips, The Phonak Large Silicone Tips, The Shure Olive Black Foam Tips, The Phonak COMPLY Foam Tips, and now the COMPLY P-Series Foam Tips...

These P-Seriies COMPLY Foam Tips totally fill your ear canal (comfortably) give great high --> smooth mid transition --> really nice bass character (with the black filters) without the artificial bassy "compaction" I noticed with the Shure Olives... Bass is slightly less large with these tips compared to Shure Olives, but thats only because the mids and highs aren't "compacted" and they "stand up"...

I'd advise checking out the threads for both of these 'phones and decide which rendition you were most interested in checking out... But my first pick again would be the Victor HP-FX500. If I were stranded on a Desert Island, they'd be my pick!

Best Of Luck!!

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 6
You should add Tour and Turbine in your list(both are well built) and C3 is the best for it's sound quality(incredible detailed mids, deep punchy bass and good highs overall warm, forward, clean n clear) but cable cloth comes off after heavy use. FX500 are also better for it's sound quality and it has deep rich bass with clear mids and highs. Tour are also great with punchy bass, clear mids and highs(good for hip hop).

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Another recommendation for the FX500 here.

Hip hop sounds amazing coming out of the FX500 because of how great it handles bass. Nice resolution, not too boomy or bloated, just some good tight base that makes listening to hip hop a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back