Specific foam to buy for modding? How does foam "sound?"
Aug 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gibtg

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of the MDR-1R, especially the comfort, but the sound quality out of the box isn't too my liking. There's midrange coloration and the peak at 10kHz is a nuisance, I followed the blog information here with full measurements of the results:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-modification-of-sony-mdr-1r-its-as.html

My problem was sourcing the proper foam to put in front of the drivers, I don't know what foam to buy or how foam "sounds." How is foam rated for its density? What should I use to moderately reduce treble energy when modding a headphone? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 6
I want something more permanent, considering all the different headphones and sources I use, some (but not all) of my sources have parametric EQ but it's inconvenient switching for every headphone I use.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 6

What should I use to moderately reduce treble energy when modding a headphone?

Eq, ideally. Unless this is for use with a device that has no good software for it.

+1 I use 1µSD for each of my IEMs with that idea and the files are what I should modify. 

to me the headphone can be "tailored" electrically, or acoustically, that's all the manufacturer has to work with. why try to improve on that with often limited knowledge when we can have it with the digital side that is untouched and full of cool tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back