special modifications for headphone listening
Mar 25, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I have only listened to this last example, but the changes are immediately noticeable.

Do you mean your changes are noticeable compared to other songs you have listened to? I guess I noticed the Grados sound more robust and full, and instruments are detailed. But it could just be a result of me hardly listening to classical or flac files. Could you list the changes you are noticing?

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #23 of 36
I mean that the difference between the original file and the modified file are quite obvious (I listened to the "September" clip).

Overall, volume is lower and the soundstage seems to be expanded front to back. In the original file, the opening guitar is clearly on the left. In the modified file, the same guitar seems to be placed in the rear left, and the other instruments more in the front.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by forever headphone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 DKJOHNSO:

how do you judge my modification; is it positive / negative change ?

I think the change is similar to some software crossfeed filters I have tried in the past, and there are positive aspects which I have no doubt many people will find attractive. However, I feel like this modification takes away some of the prominence of the vocals (a subtle change) and with the widened soundstage, some of the intimacy is lost. For me, the modified files loses some of the excitement of the original. I am listening with the HD650, which can't afford to lose any excitement
biggrin.gif
This modification might be more suited to Grados or other more up-front headphones.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by forever headphone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then try this:
Foreverinmotion-The_Rain-bin.flac - LeteckaPosta.cz Rapidshare Posílejte své soubory leteckou poštou - Poslání souboru - Zde nahrajte svùj soubor

.....orig.
http://www.archive.org/download/ABSO...n-The_Rain.mp3

and tell me exactly where you hear *intimacy is lost* / *loses some of the excitement*
it's very interesting to me

I am downloading these now, but the FLAC download is only getting 3KB/s, so it will take a while!

It's not that there is a particular point in the music where I hear the changes: it's the overall change in sound. With the original file I feel like the band is maybe a few feet away, but with the modified file, it sounds like the players are much more distance, and I describe this as a loss of intimacy/excitement. What setup are you using to listen? I think this modification is probably very dependent on equipment.

I will report back after these finish downloading and I have given a good listen.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 36
After listening to the latest sample, I stand by my previous comments: the modified file sounds more distant, and in comparison, the original file has a more compressed soundstage. However, I like the sound of the modified file...it is a matter of preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back