Special CLASSICAL request for a beginner!
May 1, 2007 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I know there are many here at head-fi who love classical, but as a 16 yr old, I've never truly been exposed to it.

I've searched through some threads on classical, and I also would like some recommendations.

Since I love rock music, can you guys (and girls) point me to some rock like classical?

I'm talking large, exciting, brassy? (is that even allowed in classical?) in-your-face stuff that would definitely be exciting.

also, are there any composers in particular to look for on these types of pieces?

I'm sure that with time i will enjoy the quieter and gentle stuff, but one I'd like to start off exciting and work my way down.

any specific CDs i can look for?

May 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 17
Much of the traditional baroque-era composers were about presenting a huge variety of shifting moods and themes in their works (particularly on the symphonic level). It isn't until you reach the modernist and post-modernist periods of 'classical music' (usually called now "contemporary classical") will you find the sound you desire.

I, quite frankly, do not believe in "weening" somebody into a specific genre. There are no good or bad genres - just good or bad music - so I don't always see the practicality in this. If I were you, I would start right away with simply getting two or three examples from each respective era and/or composer of significant interest (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Verdi, Brahms, Dvorák, Mahler, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, et al) and work your way from there.

However, to answer your question: I really enjoy the abrasive sound of Edgar Varese's music. "Ameriques" is a good piece to start with. Varese is very well-known for his usages of sirens, loud and extravagant percussion, and blaring, quick dynamic changes.

Philip Glass's minimalist style is also quite up-front at times, such as in his 8th symphony. As far as "power" goes, there really is nothing more explosive than Mahler's vocal extravaganza, the 8th Symphony (Symphony of A Thousand).

You may also enjoy Iannis Xenakis, but he's a little "out" for most.

May 1, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 17
I don't know about "in your face" pieces, but I do remember some late romantic pieces being quite dark and powerful, like Wagner pieces, so that's where you should start. For barouqe and classical pieces, you will have a tough time looking for the sound you want, since they essentially follow certain rules in writing, and they are mostly written to entertain or "please" others, so your best bet is work from late romantic works up to modern pieces.

Good luck.
P.S. All of what I said was IHMO, so correct me if I made a mistake, but do not comment on it. Thks
EDIT: P.P.S. Oh, I'm 16 too!! lol
icon10.gif

May 1, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 17
Something exciting: I think Beethoven symphonies and Tchaikovsky - 1812 will do.

Something brassy: Tchaikovsky - Capriccio Italien.

Something grand and exciting (and specific): find "The Bach Gamut" with organist Virgil Fox (released by Reference Recordings). Hope this is not too heavy for you....
cool.gif

RR-107_Cover_s.jpg

May 1, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 17
Large, brassy for the most part, grand but orthodox, Bach orchestral suites 3 and 4. Chorus Gloria from the Mass in B minor, very "in your face" joyfulness of the brass/strings/voice. Also the Vivaldi Concerto-molti in C RV 555 is very festive. Of course you can look at Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, Beethoven Symphonies, Mozart Symphonies, and many others.

Just imo, "rocky" classical is like an oxymoron
tongue.gif
but that's because I rarely venture into even the Romantic era (with the exception of Bartok/Hindemith).

Since you seem quite new to this genre, go to concerts. Go to concerts, go to concerts if you have time. That's how to really get into it. Watching Messiah or Beethoven's 9th is totally different than listening to a disc. I know this seems quite in your face, but I'm just emphasizing the importance of concerts.

May 1, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 17
A couple ideas I'd like to recommend:

I don't know if the following goes with your request, but I think it does--not what you describe but what I imagine you're looking for. Definitely exciting though--but maybe a little different that you might expect?

Definitely go to concerts, but you may or may not like them. I don't particularly care either way (except for special occasions), and many will suggest that live sound is the only sound, but I really don't think that's true. Recorded sound is a *great* approximation, regardless of what fidelity. (To me, that is).

Also, watch out for popular classical works. Although I too am a beginner in this field, what I've discovered so far is that a lot of stuff that becomes popular or well known is overplayed (for sure) and overhyped (my guess). I don't like Beethoven's 5th or 9th close to as much as many of the others, for example. And a lot of stuff that is overlooked is incredible!!!

I always used to think that I wanted rock-like classical, and discovered that what I really wanted was what I knew I didn't want: boring classical music. I've eventually crossed over into so many different subgroups so quickly, I'm surprised.

Check out YouTube and other open music sites to get an idea of what these sound like before you purchase music. That way, you won't have to waste money before you can begin enjoying things you'll be sure to like.

I like dramatic stuff, so you might see a bias toward this in my recommendations.

Tchaikovsky (the 1812 Overture is great, actually, and so is Francesca da Rimini)

Strauss--I *think* was known for large compositions...using large scale orchestras (?)

Mozart (Piano Concertos 20 [dark and moving, dramatic] and 21 [cheery, old school dignified(??)])

Bach (Brandenburg Concerto 5, part 3--a most amazing solo, although you may not like the harpsichord)

Beethoven (Piano Concertos 1-3, Symphonies 1 & 2)

Berlioz (Symphonie Fantastique (the 5th part of it at least))

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else at this point.

I know there are certain *kinds* of things you'll want to avoid but I can't recall at this point.

I think you'll get into Concertos though, usually the second part is slow, but the first and third parts are faster in tempo, and more exiciting. Usually you can't have one without the other though--it just doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Of all I said above, I would like to stress starting with my recommendations under Beethoven.

May 1, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 17
I think you light enjoy some Gershwin as a good segue to classical. Rhapsody in Blue (obviously) but really alot of his music has that modern jazzy in-your-face vibe. Copland also a lot of fun.

May 3, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i found i love pachelbel (especially cannon in d).

Yes, classical music has one-hit-wonders too!

May 3, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 17
In terms of "overplayed" music, I think Pachelbel's Canon in D fits the criteria. Please don't overlook his many organ masterpieces.

You should listen to this guy (<-) and along with these guys too:
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Aren't they all lovely?

May 3, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 17
A few suggestions for works that sound big and exuberant (though not necessary "rock-like"):

Brahms -- Academic Overture: probably Brahms at his most extroverted mood, and his Hungarian Dances in orchestral arrangements.
Berlioz -- Roman Carnival Overture; Symphonie Fantastique.
Rimsky-Korsakov -- Capriccio espagnol.
Mussorgsky -- Pictures at an Exhibition, orchestrated.

May 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 17
It's hard to know what you mean by "rock-like" classical, but Stravinksy's The Rite of Spring is brash, exciting, foward, colourful, accessible, slightly jazzy and a brilliant piece of music.

Other than 20th century stuff, some baroque music is fairly rocksteady. The Brandenburg Concertos recommended above are great, or the violin concertos also by Bach.

Dowland songs might be good, they're about the same length as rock songs and maybe structurally not too different. You might try Sting's recording of some of these...I hesitate to recommend it though. Andreas Scholl has a disc called "A Musicall Banquet" which might be worth a listen. Dowland was one of the first "classical" "composers" (heh...) I really got into. I listened to a lot of folk though. You might just not take to the renaissance sound.

Not sure how much your taste in rock will equate with particular types of classical though. It might be a good idea to sample the best of each era and see what you like.

But whatever you do, don't get too much at once. You may need to do some serious listening before you really get into the first pieces you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back