Spec me some Cans!
Oct 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonnymk

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

<< First of all I would like to point out my post count. Yeah, i've been reading these forums for months now. Majority of people here seem to be really clued up and jolly and so thought i'd register.

To the point...

Fro christmas, I'm looking to treat myself with some decent headphones and probably a headphone amp to go with (depending on how demanding the phones are i guess).

I've been reading around and the Grado 325i and Sennheiser 600/650's seem to be favourable but the reviews just don't cut it for me, I need to be certain i've chosen the right pair and unfortunately I don't know any places where i can demo headphones of this type (I'm from the UK, London area).

The music I listen too is rock
rs1smile.gif
. But to me that includes Metal to Acoustic. In fact i'll list some random artists i've been listening to today.

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Five For Fighting (California ftw! woo)
Relient K
Rhet Miller
Vertical Horizon - There and back again - 1992 - very acoustic
The Upper Room
Funeral for a Friend
30 Seconds to Mars
Anyway, enouph of that...

Sometimes I feel like i'm too demanding with sound quality but I'm not certain i'm an audiophile. I would not enjoy a particular frequency rage to sparkle over another. The bass can't be weak; the treble can't be hidden. To elaborate on that, I'm concened that the 600's are for people who crave bass and the 325i's are for people who crave the cymbols. An almost perfect balance is what i'm after.

The catch is I already own some Sennheiser PC160's which have that balance about spot on but too soft and muffled for hi-fi use, these are really just for my computer.

All advise appreciated!!

-Jonny

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 14
I listen to bands like yours and I'm pretty happy with the Beyer DT880's. They're very neutral cans. Lows, Mids, and Highs are all even.

Although from what I've heard Grado's are supposedly waaay better for rock than the DT880's (But the DT880's work amazingly with ALL genres not just rock).

Oh and I bought these today, so I'll be able to comment on how much better Grado's handle rock whenever they get here. They're recabled and had the grills replaced with more open ones. Thanks larryminator
580smile.gif

divers001.jpg

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although from what I've heard Grado's are supposedly waaay better for rock than the DT880's (But the DT880's work amazingly with ALL genres not just rock).

That's what I've heard too and Grado seems to be good sounding without an amp. So, you may grab a Grado, save some money at this point and get an decent amp later.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 14
There was a thread here a week or so ago about where to audition headphones in London.Turns out it is possible.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 14
thanks for the replies guys, really leaning towards the grados 325i's now and going to consider the Beyer DT880's too, let me know how the grados sound shomie! btw, are they SR80's and not 325's ?

the AKG 701 seems to be mentioned a few times around here aswell, but can't tell where they sit between the senns and grado's. :O

-Jonny

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 14
AKG 701's will be on par with all others mentioned, however you will definitely need a decent amp to drive them.

Perhaps there is a head-fier in your area who would let you audition some of their phones?

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm a bit suprised about some of the higher end cans lacking bass as I always thought headphones had better base response than speakers for the price and the acoustics should make the bass much more detailed (no freuqencies bounces off walls etc...). So i guess the 325i's can't really lack bass too much ?

Since these are favourable for rock, I think they would be the best choice for me and like suggested below, get an amp for them at a later time. Will wait for shomie's opinion on what i think are Grado SR80's above.

oh btw! The speakers I use for main listening are Mordaunt Short 902i's driven through a Cambridge Audio 340A. I wonder how the Grado SR80's headphones compare to the MS902i's with frequency balance and detail as the MS902's are reviewed as very light and lacking bass but plenty of weight, but sound about perfect to me.

As long as the 325i's have weight to the sound I think i'll be pleased, right ?

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 14
If I were you I'd be getting the SR225's (unlike the 325is: unanimously praised and great cost performance), which are considered a true rock and roll can, and a good entry-level amp.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit suprised about some of the higher end cans lacking bass as I always thought headphones had better base response than speakers for the price and the acoustics should make the bass much more detailed (no freuqencies bounces off walls etc...). So i guess the 325i's can't really lack bass too much ?

Since these are favourable for rock, I think they would be the best choice for me and like suggested below, get an amp for them at a later time. Will wait for shomie's opinion on what i think are Grado SR80's above.

oh btw! The speakers I use for main listening are Mordaunt Short 902i's driven through a Cambridge Audio 340A. I wonder how the Grado SR80's headphones compare to the MS902i's with frequency balance and detail as the MS902's are reviewed as very light and lacking bass but plenty of weight, but sound about perfect to me.

As long as the 325i's have weight to the sound I think i'll be pleased, right ?

Ya they are SR80's but the recabling and the the new, more open metal screen should put it a step above a stock SR80.

I'll post my impressions as soon as I get them but that may be around 7-12 days as I live in Florida and it is being shipped from Canada.

I'm not sure if you want to wait that long, but if you do I'll be sure to post my thoughts on them as soon as possible.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 14
If the reviews are correct I think i've found the right headphones for me.

The 225's appear to have the same tone as the 80's but overall more clearer in the low frequencies and good seperation, where maybe the 125's are inbetween.

I get the personal impression the 325i stretch is better for monitoring and/or bringing out all those scratches on the guitar strings and stuff in acoustic music, probably due to the wider soundstage. Which I do like, but would miss the bass in metal music too much to warrant that.

Also went with grado because 1) I really like the classic design and 2) because of the size of my ears I think they will be more comfortable than what people suggest
rs1smile.gif

Thankyou very much everyone for painting a picture. I will review them on here after 4 days burn in (Expect friday).

-Jonny

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the reviews are correct I think i've found the right headphones for me.

The 225's appear to have the same tone as the 80's but overall more clearer in the low frequencies and good seperation, where maybe the 125's are inbetween.

I get the personal impression the 325i stretch is better for monitoring and/or bringing out all those scratches on the guitar strings and stuff in acoustic music, probably due to the wider soundstage. Which I do like, but would miss the bass in metal music too much to warrant that.

Also went with grado because 1) I really like the classic design and 2) because of the size of my ears I think they will be more comfortable than what people suggest
rs1smile.gif

Thankyou very much everyone for painting a picture. I will review them on here after 4 days burn in (Expect friday).

-Jonny

Did you already get them?

I think you'll be happy with the SR225 as they seem to be crowd-pleaser's.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 14
I would never spec you a headphone. that is advice on specs alone. You really have to listen for yourself IF it's your cup of tea.

Good suggestions have been made though, grado(bit warm and harsh highs for most), sennheiser hd600 (more neutral then hd650, with aftermarket cable and propper amp really good)and hd650(more on the darker side of neutral, good detail and drive, if paired with a good amp) and the akg 701 (more detail then sennheiser but more dry sounding, not as laid back).

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you already get them?

I think you'll be happy with the SR225 as they seem to be crowd-pleaser's.

No,, not really, they were very uncomfortable to me, and i had the sr1's!

You could try some other cups though.

Good luck with your new headphones.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No,, not really, they were very uncomfortable to me, and i had the sr1's!

You could try some other cups though.

Good luck with your new headphones.

I was comparing them to the SR325i's which seem to have a love-hate relationship involved with them. However more people seem to be happy with the SQ of the SR225. Hence a crowd-pleaser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back