Spec me a pair of in-ears with good bass, mids and treble
Nov 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DRuM

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I currently have two pairs of Sony MDR EX71's. The pair I use mostly have good treble but weak on bass. The other pair I think are fakes, they have good bass but rubbish everything else. I only use in-ears directly into my laptop for movies and music. Can someone recommend me a quality pair of in-ears with really punchy bass, good treble and mids? Up to say about £50 if possible? If I can find them new on Amazon or Ebay I'll order whatever's recommended. The bud tips I use with in-ears are Shure PA757. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 4
I  has two IEMs I like that have strong bass that still sounds natural. One is the Sony MDR-XB210B which has 13.5mm drivers. It bass is very strong with plenty of power. The highs are a bit laid back though. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 has 12.5 mm drivers so its bass isn't as impactful, but is still quite good. Its treble is also laid back. If you want a brighter earphone, you might want to consider the JVC HA-FX40. Imo the HA-FX40 is too bright though. Another very bright earphone with decent bass is the Meelectronic CW31. The last two choices mentioned are a bit weaker on the bass with much stronger highs, while the first ones mentioned are laid back on the treble but have strong bass that still sounds natural. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 is the most comfortable of these, but is ported, so isolation isn't great. The Soundmagic  ES18 has a great midrange and decent upper bass, however it doesn't have the strong deep bass energy that many crave. Its treble is quite good.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 4
  I  has two IEMs I like that have strong bass that still sounds natural. One is the Sony MDR-XB210B which has 13.5mm drivers. It bass is very strong with plenty of power. The highs are a bit laid back though. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 has 12.5 mm drivers so its bass isn't as impactful, but is still quite good. Its treble is also laid back. If you want a brighter earphone, you might want to consider the JVC HA-FX40. Imo the HA-FX40 is too bright though. Another very bright earphone with decent bass is the Meelectronic CW31. The last two choices mentioned are a bit weaker on the bass with much stronger highs, while the first ones mentioned are laid back on the treble but have strong bass that still sounds natural. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 is the most comfortable of these, but is ported, so isolation isn't great. The Soundmagic  ES18 has a great midrange and decent upper bass, however it doesn't have the strong deep bass energy that many crave. Its treble is quite good.

Thanks for the detailed reply! 
The Sony MDR X210B you mentioned sounds good. I'm used to laid back highs with my Sennheiser 580's, so that might not be a problem with Sony's.
I've checked the prices of the in-ears you listed and they're all quite a bit below £50. I don't mind spending more if it would get me an in-ear that has both very powerful bass AND treble AND mids, ie the whole package? How about ultrasone, westone, sennheiser or shure, is there anything in those brands worth considering?

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 4
More treble isn't necessarily better. I am somewhat treble sensitive, and with the JVC HA-FX40 and Meelectronics CW31 the treble hurts my ears when playing certain material. I don't get this with the other IEMs that I have which have more laid back treble. Of course I could reduce the treble with the player's equalizer. Getting deep bass that sounds good is much more difficult to accomplish though by boosting the bass with the player's equalizer. I have been buying IEMs under $30 and want to try buying some that are slightly more expensive, however those that seem to perform much better than the ones I have are so much more expensive(ie. over $75). I can't think of any that offer great midrange, bass, and treble that sell for between $30 and $50 in the US(I guess under $50 in the US equates to under 50 quid in the UK as UK prices are typically  so much higher than US prices?). It seems hard to get good bass, midrange, and treble. It seems like one needs to compromise on at least one of these to get the other two to perform well. What one person calls excessive treble though might be just right for another person. Treble sensitivity varies greatly between people. Some of the dual driver IEMs seem to perform closer to what you want, however they seem to be $100 and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back