Speaking of "underated" rock guitarists...
Sep 5, 2003 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

gbeard

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know (or care) if these guys were on RS's list. I haven't read it. I have tons of faves, but these are folks who I think get overlooked for their terrific playing...

Here are just a few picks that come to mind:

Richard Thompson
Adrian Belew
Steve Morse (unbelievable! Check out the Dixie Dregs stuff)
Frank Zappa (probably not underated, but perhaps under-appreciated)
Denny Diaz
David Lindley
Monte Montgomery (Anybody heard this guy? He is an absolutely awesome guitar player and great live performer too.)

gb
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 36
I was just thinking about this. I`ll name a few:
Eric Johnson. Listen to his albums. Nuff said

Michael Lee Firkins. Listen to his self titled debut album from the early 90. He doesn`t shred, but he smokes, if you know what i mean. Very nice, very tastefull player.

Trevor Rabin. He played with Yes for a couple of years (Owner of a lonely heart). Made a very good solo album called 'Can`t look away'. Eddy Van Halen liked one of his riffs so much he 'borrowed' it for a song on Balance (Baluchiterium)

erik

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 36
Steve Lukater is very good player. I really like the solo on the Lionel Ritchie song 'Dancing on the ceiling' Very effective playing on that one.

The guys from Toto are really excellent musicians. They played most of the songs on Thriller, right? They are very popular in the Netherlands for some reason.

erik

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 36
Originally by erik
Quote:

Steve Morse. Plays in Deep Purple. Check out his solo stuff

I agree, check my thread post again...
wink.gif
And Eric Johnson is a guitar animal, but I guess I didn't think of him as being underated.

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 36
I just don`t read
rolleyes.gif
sorry

..but who knows Eric Johnson, except guitargeeks like us!

erik

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 36
You guys probably don't remember, but the late Terry Kath, of the group Chicago was probably one of the most talented and underrated guitar players of, well......my day.

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 36
Belew is great. Unfortunately for him,
he's usually in Fripp's shadow.

Doesn't he have some solo albums? I'll have to check
this out...

I always thought Ian Anderson played a mean acoustic
guitar.

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 36
not ebough people know the stuff Adrian Belew did though. he might not be the best writer when it comes to solo albums (lyrics aren't special, quiatrplay is phenomenal) but, with the Talking Heads or King Crimson (and Zappa apparanrly, I'm no Zappa fan) he performed amazingly. very weird sounds all around.

in general, I think nowadays among people my age, guitarists aren't getting the acknowledgement they deserve in favor of DJs. too many people I know go blank when I mention Gilmour or Satriani.

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by erik
I just don`t read
rolleyes.gif
sorry

..but who knows Eric Johnson, except guitargeeks like us!

erik

I'll never forget the first time I heard Cliffs of Dover. Wow! [reveals geekiness]

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 36
Originally by JMT
Quote:

You guys probably don't remember, but the late Terry Kath, of the group Chicago was probably one of the most talented and underrated guitar players of, well......my day.

Wow JMT, am I ever glad you mentioned Terry Kath. Talk about underated. I love the original CTA, they kinda lost me after the silver "Chicago" album, but those were innovative, entertaining, and masterful pieces of rock history that still sound great today. As you know, Terry Kath was a large part of their early greatness. A sad ending to a great era in rock history...

Thanks for reminding me...
biggrin.gif

Belew and his band The Bears, have played in the bars in my hometown several times and he is an absolute genius on the guitar. Chris Duarte is another guy who has played in town and he is a kick ass player too. And speaking of women who can play the frets off a geetar, listen to Rory Block.

Sep 6, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 36
Another one is Jeff Healey, this blind guy play like a monster.....check Jeff Healey band....Pat Travers also play pretty good, a little bit more on the jazz arena, does anybody have heard Allan Holdsworth? What about Steve Hackett solo career, wonderful pieces of music there.....

Sep 6, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 36
Sov,

Yes, Jeff Healy's cool for sure. How about his cameo in that lousy movie "Roadhouse"!

JMT, I had to run and listen to Chicago II on vinyl. Sounds great though headphones!

erik, being from the Netherlands, are you familiar with the solo work of guitarist Janne Schaffer? I won't give you any hints...

Sep 6, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 36
I always liked the session guitarists who played on Steely Dan's earlier works. Larry Carlton, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Denny Dias, and Dean Parks. Hell, even Rick Derringer and Lee Ritenour played on some of their albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back